Login

russian armor

Tile Editor (Industrial Rubble) Crashes Worldbuilder

20 Aug 2018, 18:36 PM

So while I was messing around with the Tile Editor I happened upon the Industrial rubble section. I learned very quickly that Worldbuilder doesn't appreciate Industrial Rubble seeing as it crashed 3 times in all the tile experiments I attempted. Unfortunately, despite saving before attempting my tests, whenever I open the Tile Editor section Worldbuilder instantly crashes on me now. (On this map and only this map)

This is both a word of warning, and a request for assistance. I've all but finished the tile settings for my map so it's not a devastating loss. But I'd like to know if there is a quick and easy way to fix this, either in or out of worldbuilder since it's pretty obnoxious if I want to go touch something up and I'm just permanently locked out.

Thanks.
20 Aug 2018, 19:07 PM

Unfortunately, despite saving before attempting my tests, whenever I open the Tile Editor section Worldbuilder instantly crashes on me now. (On this map and only this map)

Not sure how you can fix it by normal means, if the worldbuilder will not open it. I have never had this happen.

WARNING: THIS HORRIFIC HACK MAY NOT WORK
If you have a lot invested and want to try:
I would download a HEX file editor and change the name of the texture in the file. Then try to open it in the worldbuilder again. Make a backup first! Pick a texture name that is equal or smaller than the one you are replacing so you don't overwrite stuff. Equal is best!

EXMAPLE:
in file you may see: grass\grass_02333?333?
The texture is grass\grass_02.
You dont want to overwrite the 333?333?
If the name you choose is smaller, you will want to overwrite the last characters with NULL or ASCII 0. If that doesnt work maybe try space ASCII 32.

The SGB file is what you need to edit. It will be very large, like 10-20 MB. So it may take some time to open in an editor. And the texture name will appear twice about 1/3 of the way in.
20 Aug 2018, 21:01 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Aug 2018, 19:07 PMRosbone

Not sure how you can fix it by normal means, if the worldbuilder will not open it. I have never had this happen.

WARNING: THIS HORRIFIC HACK MAY NOT WORK
If you have a lot invested and want to try:
I would download a HEX file editor and change the name of the texture in the file. Then try to open it in the worldbuilder again. Make a backup first! Pick a texture name that is equal or smaller than the one you are replacing so you don't overwrite stuff. Equal is best!

EXMAPLE:
in file you may see: grass\grass_02333?333?
The texture is grass\grass_02.
You dont want to overwrite the 333?333?
If the name you choose is smaller, you will want to overwrite the last characters with NULL or ASCII 0. If that doesnt work maybe try space ASCII 32.

The SGB file is what you need to edit. It will be very large, like 10-20 MB. So it may take some time to open in an editor. And the texture name will appear twice about 1/3 of the way in.

IT WORKED!

rubble\industrial_02333?333? can safely be replaced with rubble\industrial_debris_01333?333? to fix the crash. Took a lot of trial and error, and even just finding the specific instance of the broken tile texture was a pain. (It was all the way at the bottom of the file nearly drowned by so many other rubble and industrials) but so far the map appears to be working swimmingly and no more tile texture crash.

Thanks for the suggestion and the handy tile name example.
20 Aug 2018, 21:12 PM

IT WORKED!

THAT IS AWESOME! Good to know it can be done. Your hard work may save some other poor souls in the future!
21 Aug 2018, 01:45 AM
Master Mapmaker Badge

What's really strange with this for me, is I cannot replicate your issue at all.
21 Aug 2018, 02:50 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Aug 2018, 01:45 AMTric
What's really strange with this for me, is I cannot replicate your issue at all.

Try assigning it over a different tile selection. That's specifically what caused the crash for me. Or assigning another texture over an industrial rubble (In my case it was a different version of industrial rubble.)
21 Aug 2018, 18:53 PM

I will have to try this. I have never been able to use those tiles despite multiple reinstall and data verification.

Though I'm rather leery of trying to use them even if I can get them to work because there is no telling the performance ramifications of using them if this glitch is inconsistent.

Perhaps my chronic performance issues has roots in glitches map tiles. Unlikely, but worth looking into.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★