Login

russian armor

Coh2 even playable with Lenovo E480?

4 Aug 2018, 20:56 PM

Hey guys,

recently I bought this new Lenovo Notebook for me. Its an E480 with the Intel i5-8250U, 8 GB Ram, 256 GB SSD and the Radeon RX 550. I have gone to the lowest settings possible - but still heavily lagging.

At the moment I play at 1024x768 with everything turned off /lowest settings - still got the problems. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Anyone got an Idea about it?

Maybe the Notebook is just too weak, heard about cooling/heat problems with this series.

I would be happy if someone could help me.

Regards, Samson
4 Aug 2018, 21:06 PM
Donator 11

Be sure to turn antialiasing completely off. Others on low to med and you should be able to do that. Just don't go over med because 8gb of RAM is little for this game.

Of course that is a set up for 1v1 games. In team games your hardware will struggle.

Btw. Make sure you have the Radeon card on and that you are not running on battery. Otherwise this laptop will have much worse performance. What is more, this laptop has a tendency to overheat, so some external cooling can help as well.
6 Nov 2018, 21:26 PM

https://www.notebookcheck.net/ThinkPad-E480-i5-8250U-RX-550-Laptop-Review.280524.0.html

"Update BIOS 1.14: Massively reduced GPU performance"

"Update BIOS 1.14: Lenovo wants to improve the temperature development with BIOS 1.14. We checked that and repeated our stress test. We also repeated some benchmarks to see if there are any effects in terms of performance. We updated the sections GPU Performance as well as Gaming Performance."

"Update BIOS 1.14: Lenovo reduced the GPU performance dramatically to improve the temperatures. We added the new 3DMark 11 GPU score in the table below and also listed the iGPU SKU of the E480 for comparison. The discrete Radeon is actually just ahead of the integrated Intel GPU."

"Update BIOS 1.14: The performance reduction in the synthetic benchmarks is translated to the real-world gaming tests as well. While the E480 originally managed smooth 73.5 FPS in Bioshock Infinite (High setting), the value is now just 21.9 FPS after the update. This is once again just slightly ahead of the iGPU."

"Update BIOS 1.14: The fan is much quieter with the new BIOS and we never measure more than ~33 dB(A) even under load, so the laptop is comparable to the iGPU SKU."

I'd say: return the laptop or find a different solution like downgrading the bios (be aware of the risks).

Edit: Only just saw that this thread is more than a month old.
13 Feb 2019, 10:53 AM

Derby the real MVP here
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment