Login

russian armor

Suggestion: Bring back Volksgrenadiers!

14 Sep 2013, 20:46 PM

Hey guys, I just want to start by saying that I don't think this is really a desperately needed change, just one that might be fun and add a little additional depth to the game. Volksgrenadiers are already basically in the game in the form of Osttruppen but are rarely seen as relief infantry seems to be seldom used (at least in my experience and in most of the shoutcasts I watch). I think it would be nice to have Volks (or Osttruppen) added to the t1 building (NOT replacing grens) as a 240mp unit that synergizes well with support teams but suffers from a lack of upgrades.

Volksgrenadiers (or Osttruppen):

240MP
5 man squad with k98s
Same armor as conscripts (1)
Abilities include Faust, bunker building, wire building
No LMG upgrade, no rifle nades

This would give the Germans a unit which they could more safely recrew weapon teams with but which would be more combat effective than pios. 5 men with k98s means they'd have a higher vanilla dps than grens but a lack of gren armor means they'd be less survivable without the aid of heavy mg-42 suppression. Adding this unit to the T1 building clearly has the potential to screw with the early game so it would obviously have to be tested a lot but I think it could be a very nice addition to the German infantry force.

What do you guys think?
14 Sep 2013, 20:56 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Sep 2013, 20:46 PMEnkidu
Hey guys, I just want to start by saying that I don't think this is really a desperately needed change, just one that might be fun and add a little additional depth to the game. Volksgrenadiers are already basically in the game in the form of Osttruppen but are rarely seen as relief infantry seems to be seldom used (at least in my experience and in most of the shoutcasts I watch). I think it would be nice to have Volks (or Osttruppen) added to the t1 building (NOT replacing grens) as a 240mp unit that synergizes well with support teams but suffers from a lack of upgrades.

240MP
5 man squad with k98s

This would give the Germans a unit which they could more safely recrew weapon teams with but which would be more combat effective than pios. 5 men with k98s means they'd have a higher vanilla dps than grens but a lack of gren armor means they'd be less survivable without the aid of heavy mg-42 suppression. Adding this unit to the T1 building clearly has the potential to screw with the early game so it would obviously have to be tested a lot but I think it could be a very nice addition to the German infantry force.

What do you guys think?

I think if they're going to do that they might as well as just use the current Osttruppen squad for 180-200 MP.
14 Sep 2013, 21:08 PM

Good idea. Early game is just fucking boring wiht grens. We need more options for an early game as germans.
14 Sep 2013, 21:09 PM

I think if they're going to do that they might as well as just use the current Osttruppen squad for 180-200 MP.

They basically would be the Osttruppen but at anything less than 240 mp, it would screw up the infantry balance. They would be meant as supplementary infantry for recrewing support teams. 200mp would make them too spamable imo.
14 Sep 2013, 21:17 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Sep 2013, 20:46 PMEnkidu

240MP
5 man squad with k98s

What do you guys think?

no, reason? Volks weren't main Ostheer infantry forces (maybe only in 1945)
14 Sep 2013, 21:31 PM

I think it would be good to replace relief infantry with directly calling a squad of osttruppen (at a lower cp), instead of both factions with the same ability.
14 Sep 2013, 21:35 PM

That's a stupid thing to say tbh because I hardly believe any Elephant tank destroyers saw action in Pripyat either.

Tons of things in COH/COH2 didn't happen, live with it. It's not like the games are trying to be historically accurate.
14 Sep 2013, 21:39 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Sep 2013, 21:35 PMTivook

That's a stupid thing to say tbh because I hardly believe any Elephant tank destroyers saw action in Pripyat either.

Tons of things in COH/COH2 didn't happen, live with it. It's not like the games are trying to be historically accurate.

That's like IS-2 and Tiger never fought in Moscow...
14 Sep 2013, 22:08 PM

Agree with the OP, but I think grens should be at T2 and the pgrens at tier 3 or 4.
14 Sep 2013, 22:14 PM

Agree with the OP, but I think grens should be at T2 and the pgrens at tier 3 or 4.

No.

If ever...

I think it would be good to replace relief infantry with directly calling a squad of osttruppen (at a lower cp), instead of both factions with the same ability.

...this.
14 Sep 2013, 22:28 PM

They wouldn't likely be the main infantry in this scenario either. Think of it from a gameplay stand point, wouldn't it be nice to call in Osttruppen/volks to support or recrew a weapon team? From a so soviet perspective, they would be less hardy infantry. Seems like both sides would want this.
14 Sep 2013, 22:54 PM

Adding a new infantry unit would f**k up all the early game balance that was meant between Conscripts and Grenadiers...
14 Sep 2013, 23:27 PM

Adding a new infantry unit would f**k up all the early game balance that was meant between Conscripts and Grenadiers...

That is certainly possible but considering it would be much like a conscript with 5 men, no Molotov, no oorah, no lmg and no rifle nade, do you see it messing things up that much?
14 Sep 2013, 23:32 PM

I agree that Relief infantry should call ostrups, not that you must lose squads for that....

Even according to CoH1, why volks were main forces? Look at history, Wehrmacht in France was nothing more than just not very experienced soldiers, fresh recruits or some very wounded veterans from eastern front. They never needed to occupy France with soldiers that are useful on eastern front till 1944.
14 Sep 2013, 23:46 PM

I agree that Relief infantry should call ostrups, not that you must lose squads for that....

Even according to CoH1, why volks were main forces? Look at history, Wehrmacht in France was nothing more than just not very experienced soldiers, fresh recruits or some very wounded veterans from eastern front. They never needed to occupy France with soldiers that are useful on eastern front till 1944.

Perhaps I don't understand your point Barton. Are you suggesting that if Osttruppen/volks were availible from the T1 building no one would build grens?
15 Sep 2013, 00:32 AM

NO, the Grenadier is far superior
15 Sep 2013, 01:26 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Sep 2013, 00:32 AMUGBEAR
NO, the Grenadier is far superior

Right, I think the gren would still be the superior combat choice but it would be nice to have a 5 man squad to support support weapons.
15 Sep 2013, 01:35 AM

I cant see myself spending 240 on inferior troops when I can spend the same mp cost/upkeep on my normal grens...which might I add, are vulnerable enough to soviet units without making an army of gimpy throwaway units to recrew the new over-nerfed mg42s
15 Sep 2013, 01:59 AM

I cant see myself spending 240 on inferior troops when I can spend the same mp cost/upkeep on my normal grens...which might I add, are vulnerable enough to soviet units without making an army of gimpy throwaway units to recrew the new over-nerfed mg42s

Sure, I can see this too but the nice thing would that they would be optional. However, if you wanted a support infantry unit for support weapon heavy builds or a unit to soak sniper fire, you would have the option.
15 Sep 2013, 02:45 AM

Yeah, tbh, AWM for infantry... feels really silly IMO.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 31
Mexico 15
South Africa 1
United Kingdom 158
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L