Login

russian armor

How to screen jacksons against medium tanks.

19 Jul 2018, 12:56 PM

As per title, I almost always go easy 8's cause I cant figure how to stop rushes of 2-3 medium tanks just walking onto my jackson(s).

I can't make the infantry screen work because none of them have reliable snares (and the rifle grenade animation is LONGGGGG). And zooks get pretty ineffective against Panzer 4s and up. They will also just drive around AT guns.

I'm trying heavy cav with a pershing as a spearhead and jacksons behind, but theres aften a phase before it's unlocked where I just have the jacksons (I don't even bother with the 75mm sherman against Axis mediums)

So how do you screen them? I feel like my rifle squads need a shorter range & more reliable snare like a sticky bomb from vCOH, to really make it dangerous for tanks to drive over them. But obvs we dont have that, so what do you do?

I feel like stickys would be better anyway, shorter range but more damage for use against medium and heavy tanks, The light vehicle focus of the Rifle grenade is already covered by zooks :/
It could also make it easier for OKW to counter rifle blobs with light vehicles mid-game . . .0_0
19 Jul 2018, 13:04 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Jul 2018, 12:56 PMTomDRV
As per title, ...

have you tried mines and tank traps?

Tank trap can be used to slow down tanks.

When it comes to mines, R.E. and m20s have one version each stock while doctrinal they are available to doctrines with assault engineers (2), riflemen (2) and recon paratroopers (1).
19 Jul 2018, 13:41 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Jul 2018, 13:04 PMVipper

have you tried mines and tank traps?

Tank trap can be used to slow down tanks.

When it comes to mines, R.E. and m20s have one version each stock while doctrinal they are available to doctrines with assault engineers (2), riflemen (2) and recon paratroopers (1).

I use tank traps sometimes, but they can be a double-edged swored by slowing me down too, which could be even more lethal to my less-armoured tankks.

Mines . .. yeah . . but they seem a large investment for something that *might* get driven over, if it isn't detonated by inf. I have the biggest problems on open maps with few obvious routes
19 Jul 2018, 13:47 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Jul 2018, 13:41 PMTomDRV

Mines . .. yeah . . but they seem a large investment for something that *might* get driven over, if it isn't detonated by inf. I have the biggest problems on open maps with few obvious routes

R.E. and m20 mines work only vs vehicles.
19 Jul 2018, 13:57 PM

The RE mines are actually very cheap and while they don't do much damage they slow charging tanks enough to either allow you to disengage or to back out of their range and use Jackson's superior range to turn the engagement in your favor. They are best used on flanking routes where your Jackson would have to rotate it's turret to buy you time. Also I wouldn't underestimate what 2 Zooks on a RE can do in dissuading a PZ4 from diving your Jackson.
19 Jul 2018, 14:48 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Jul 2018, 13:47 PMVipper

R.E. and m20 mines work only vs vehicles.

OH really? I thought they detonated by inf too (the RE ones) Thanks.
19 Jul 2018, 15:58 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Jul 2018, 14:48 PMTomDRV

OH really? I thought they detonated by inf too (the RE ones) Thanks.

No problem.

Patch notes:"
Can now build M7 Light Anti-Vehicle Mines; reduces vehicle movement and rotation speed by 50% for 8 seconds. 10 munitions"
go3
27 Jul 2018, 15:45 PM

First of all which mode are you talking about 1v1 or team games?
If it´s 1v1, 1 jackson cannot be rushed by a P4 without also loosing the P4 when you only get 1 rifleman nade down. but it really depends on the scenario. if you are behind and can only afford 1 jackson and he has more tanks than you then i would opt for team weapons and zooks and not even build the jackson.
In team games mines and team weapons or min. 4 zooks are a must to stop a rush especially if you have a slow game where axis can build up. And if they rush you must make them pay or the game is pretty much over because when axis is at a stage where they can push like this with a superior armored force they already have a big advantage. Nonetheless never give up you pretty much always have a chance to turn a game when your opponent slips up even if they are seemingly far ahead.
27 Jul 2018, 16:04 PM

As the beautiful and badass engineers from CoH1 say, “If a mouse farts in this goddamn minefield, I want his ass blown sky high!”. Do the following and your Jacksons will have a chance to survive.
1. Mines
2. Mines
3. Mines
4. Mines
5. Mines
6. Mines

PS : I forgot to mention one more thing... Mines

Oh, and of course... Mines.
30 Jul 2018, 12:12 PM

Mines are never a bad investment! Even if detonated by infantry the straight up trade of manpower for munitions is always worth it, not to mention the suppression and often forced retreat that the mines also cause.

Mines win games!
4 Aug 2018, 02:17 AM

The Bun Sherman might not be able to do much vs Skirted Panzer IV, but it has 50% chance to bounce their shots with their frontal armor, much cheaper to replace than a Jackson too. Just leave it at HE and let it soak fire for the TDs while it attacks infantry.
4 Aug 2018, 04:56 AM

Even though you aren’t a big fan of it, screening with riflemen is definitely a solid and fairly reliable solution, and should happen naturally in the course of the game anyway. The only real problem with their snare is that the animation is fairly long, but that shouldn’t be a huge problem for defensive purposes.

Mines are also great, and really if you’re playing right your Jacksons should probably be bullying his tanks, not the other way around.
6 Aug 2018, 16:05 PM

As said before using you infantery as an ablativ shield for your jackson/tanks will work thx to generalist german tank being less AI than the allies ones.

anti vehicules mine help a lot too and since they are cheaper there is no reason to not use and abuse them

also neevr forge that you can repair your vehicule with your crew something the german cant so even nto killing the vehicule mean he will have to use pionner or sturmpio to repair its tank
20 Aug 2018, 03:36 AM

You don't need to screen them against medium tanks, mines, panzerschreks, AT guns, yes. You should be happy if your opponent is dumb enough to charge your Jacksons with Panzer IVs. The Jackson is actually a really good AT unit (the balance team must have forgot it wasn't a German unit) and the best unit USF has in its stock.
20 Aug 2018, 05:39 AM

Even though you aren’t a big fan of it, screening with riflemen is definitely a solid and fairly reliable solution, and should happen naturally in the course of the game anyway. The only real problem with their snare is that the animation is fairly long, but that shouldn’t be a huge problem for defensive purposes.

Mines are also great, and really if you’re playing right your Jacksons should probably be bullying his tanks, not the other way around.

There's also another solution.

>Pick Armor Company
>Field a M20 Utility car and spam mines
>Wait patiently and field 4-5 M10s
>Wait till the enemy fields his Panther believing that he's got you
>It runs over a mine
>sweating guy.jpg
>Run him over with M10s and rape his tank
>Error : run.mp3 can't be loaded
>Report enemy Panther destroyed
>Repeat
>Enjoy