Login

russian armor

Refereeing decisions following GCS2 Overlord

A_E
16 Jul 2018, 18:08 PM
Lead Caster Badge
Donator 11

All of the following decisions were taken due to the recent GCS2 Qualification Tournament 2: Overlord.

1) Taking too much time between games.

Three players were warned about taking too much time in between games. These warnings will carry forward into future tournaments, please be mindful of the rules thank you.

2) Stuve forfeit/ DQ from GCS2 - after refusing to play third-place playoff vs. Kimbo

Background and prior context:

Second round: there was confusion over the Crossing-in-the-Woods map version, this was at all not Stuve's fault but may have 'set the mood' for later issues.

Quarter final: Stuve warned for being 21 minutes late for game 1. Stuve then threatened to not play vs. VonIvan unless it was confirmed he would not receive any victory point penalties. He was informed he would only receive a warning (there may have been communication between players that caused the original confusion).

Third-place playoff: Upon hearing that the third place play off was not being live casted, but instead would be casted from replay by Tightrope - Stuve refused to play despite repeated requests. This is despite having earlier agreed to a time (he then chose to play PUBG instead).

Decision:

There have been complaints from top benefactors and players that Stuve's behaviour was damaging and disrespectful to the project that the community has pledged a lot of money and effort in creating. Based on this and the opinion of the referees and organisers Stuve has hereby forfeit any further right to play in GCS2 and has been formally disqualified as a natural extension of his own actions.
A_E
17 Jul 2018, 17:50 PM
Lead Caster Badge
Donator 11

Adding this one because people keep theorising etc.

3) Vonivan warned by referee for writing in sandbags in base.

During his quarter final first game VonIvan wrote a message in sandbags in base with a full volksgrenadier squad. This could be interpreted as noncompetitive behaviour, and vonivan was reminded of this by a referee following the game - he apologised at the time.
A_E
19 Jul 2018, 21:13 PM
Lead Caster Badge
Donator 11

I am unlocking this thread, I am aware that people may have questions regarding these refereeing actions. Please keep it civil all.

Whenever we decide anything we use democracy with refereeing decisions and everything is carefully thought over. The overall goal is to ensure a competitive event with integrity and respect for the competition.
19 Jul 2018, 21:18 PM

from the other thread

Was Stuve banned from the qualifier or the entire tournament? I hope in the spirit of great competition he is around. Many people enjoy watching his high iq plays.
A_E
19 Jul 2018, 21:27 PM
Lead Caster Badge
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Jul 2018, 21:18 PMGdot
from the other thread

Was Stuve banned from the qualifier or the entire tournament? I hope in the spirit of great competition he is around. Many people enjoy watching his high iq plays.

Stuve was banned from GCS2 in total.

To further clarify what happened:

Upon agreeing a time to play his match, a time of his choosing, Stuve then said he would no longer play that match and forfeit. His reason being that the match wasn't being live cast. We told him it was being saved for Tightrope to cast after, he still refused. He then played PUBG.

Does this seem like the actions of a player that is respecting the tournament that people have pledged 13,000 USD in prize money to create? No.

At this point in the process the GCS2 points situation is supposed to be seen to really start to matter, Stuve made them look completely worthless and by association made GCS2 look worthless.

Stuve forfeit any right to play in GCS2, I had top benefactors and fans of his stream tell me something needed to be done about it, all the referees that discussed it agreed on the course of action (5 referees total), and so the obvious action was taken.

On a personal point I'll add that I thought his game 1 vs. Jesuiln was the best of GCS2 so far, but we can't have players that forfeit important matches like that, it makes a mockery of the competition.
19 Jul 2018, 21:43 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Jul 2018, 21:27 PMA_E

Stuve was banned from GCS2 in total.

To further clarify what happened:

Upon agreeing a time to play his match, a time of his choosing, Stuve then said he would no longer play that match and forfeit. His reason being that the match wasn't being live cast. We told him it was being saved for Tightrope to cast after, he still refused. He then played PUBG.

Does this seem like the actions of a player that is respecting the tournament that people have pledged 13,000 USD in prize money to create? No.

At this point in the process the GCS2 points situation is supposed to be seen to really start to matter, Stuve made them look completely worthless and by association made GCS2 look worthless.

Stuve forfeit any right to play in GCS2, I had top benefactors and fans of his stream tell me something needed to be done about it, all the referees that discussed it agreed (5 referees total).

I see how that can be frustrating. As a fan and a viewer - the show has been great so far. For the first time in a long time, we have an event going great with almost no drama from a viewers perspective. Personally, I didn't even realize any of this even happened until your post.

As a former staff referee and former event organizer here, I can relate to the frustrations of organizing these events and all the time and effort that goes with it (although not to your level). I don't think there is a referee on staff who hasn't had some sort of drama in an event. With that said; I think sometimes we get so caught up in the production aspect of things, we lose sight of the big picture. For us, its a small community gathering around to enjoy high iq games and each others jerkoff-company.

I thank you for opening this to discussion and hope you reconsider.
A_E
19 Jul 2018, 21:51 PM
Lead Caster Badge
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Jul 2018, 21:43 PMGdot

I see how that can be frustrating. As a fan and a viewer - the show has been great so far. For the first time in a long time, we have an event going great with almost no drama from a viewers perspective. Personally, I didn't even realize any of this even happened until your post.

As a former staff referee and former event organizer here, I can relate to the frustrations of organizing these events and all the time and effort that goes with it (although not to your level). I don't think there is a referee on staff who hasn't had some sort of drama in an event. With that said; I think sometimes we get so caught up in the production aspect of things, we lose sight of the big picture. For us, its a small community gathering around to enjoy high iq games and each others jerkoff-company.

I thank you for opening this to discussion and hope you reconsider.

I don't disagree with anything you've said.

If it was a smaller tournament with less at stake it he would probably have had a warning and that's it.

It isn't a small tournament though, it's for a huge prize pool, and therefore forfeiting without a good reason is way more of an issue as is anti-competitive behaviour of the highest order.

Also from a respect standpoint the amount of work and effort from players, fans, and organisers etc means that we can't have people just forfeiting like that and also making the points system look like a joke. It's just not right, and is unfair to everyone involved.

You got to see Stuve play some good matches, but he clearly doesn't respect the organised competition element, so it's not the end of the world for him or you his fan.
19 Jul 2018, 21:59 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Jul 2018, 21:51 PMA_E

I don't disagree with anything you've said.

If it was a smaller tournament with less at stake it he would probably have had a warning and that's it.

It isn't a small tournament though, it's for a huge prize pool, and therefore forfeiting without a good reason is way more of an issue as is anti-competitive behaviour of the highest order.

Also from a respect standpoint the amount of work and effort from players, fans, and organisers etc means that we can't have people just forfeiting like that and also making the points system look like a joke. It's just not right, and is unfair to everyone involved.

You got to see Stuve play some good matches, but he clearly doesn't respect the organised competition element, so it's not the end of the world for him or you his fan.

I didn't mean 'small' in terms of COH2 events, in that respect it is grandiose. I am talking about perspective of coh2 events vs other big game events (ex: fortnite, pubg, etc). Let's not forget who we are and what this community is. We aren't breaking the twitch servers anytime soon with any event.

I just thought bans we're reserved for things like cheating, account manipulation, etc. Being 20 minutes late and not wanting to play after you lose a set doesn't seem like ban material imo. That's 0-100 real fast.

19 Jul 2018, 22:17 PM

I believe banning him is the right decision, i was watching the event live and stuve caused 40 minute break because of his refusal to play also many people were hyped for kimbo vs stuve which is stolen from the viewers. His spoiled behaviour is can be dangerous for the live event if he can qualify.
20 Jul 2018, 11:08 AM
Senior Caster Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Jul 2018, 21:59 PMGdot

I just thought bans we're reserved for things like cheating, account manipulation, etc. Being 20 minutes late and not wanting to play after you lose a set doesn't seem like ban material imo. That's 0-100 real fast.

I don't think so, that it is really fast. There was still points to earn and if he really wanted to make it to the Live event, he would have tried the best he could to get these points, just like the other Players did.

This was not an act of Sportsmanship, Disrespectful to all people who put an effort or other support in this tournament and pretty much an insult to all the people who really want join the Live Event and have not gotten this far.

Since he was avaiable he could have just played the 3 games, take one for the community and put up a good fight against Kimbo to give the people the match they really wanted to see, that had everything in there, rivalry, 2 players who do like to shittalk each other in automatch sometimes, that might not be the best friends.

I get that he was demotivated, but i'm pretty sure VonIvan would have liked to be in the Finals twice and he still played the 3rd place game.

I do like the Schtiwen aka Stuve but this DQ is justified and understandable imo. Competition was not over yet, so compete to the end.

21 Jul 2018, 00:29 AM
Benefactor 355

I fully support the DQ decision. Trolling and horsing around on stream and auto-match is all good fun but when it comes to GCS, GCS >>>> anyone.

Way too many hours have been put into organization of this event (not to mention financial contribution by community) for someone to act like a diva and cause problems for organizers throughout the tourney.
21 Jul 2018, 08:28 AM
Patrion 15

I dont know what went on behind the scenes that might have contributed to the decisione to disqualify Stuve.

I also think that the people that put in the hard work to run this event have every right to make decisions like this.

But,
to me, based on what i know, the decision to ban stuve from the comming qualifier seems too harsh.

Especially when compared to the ruling in the vonIvan case, who got away with a warning (which is absolutely enough)

vonIvans shenannigans happend during the live stream in the middle of the bracket, while stuves decision not to carry on in the 3rd place game did not really affect anyone but himself for not beeing able to gain more points. That in itself is already a form of punishment and should be enough. Talking of "disrespecting" anything - while stuve might have disapionted somebody , Ivans actions to me seemed more severe.

As i fan of this game I want to see the best in this game compete. We all play a niche computer game about ww2 - that way are all nerds and a little weird. But the top level, where people really have to commit to this game you can expect a certain amount of eccentric behaviour - you might call it the "Barton Effect".

That might be frustrating for the organizers - but if you want the best competition, you have to be prepared to put up with it to a high degree.

stuves g2 vs Ivan and his g1 vs Jesulin where just great! thats what i want to see when watching this event and anything like respect or decent behavior is at best an afterthought to me as a spectator (and donator).

22 Jul 2018, 11:34 AM

Hello everybody,

As a fan of CoH 2 and a guy who spents his free time at streams with CoH 2, I was in hype with Overlord and as a preparation I've been watching mostly Stuve's streams before Overlord. I was there even when he talked about this DQ for the 1st time, after the tournament.

I do not know, where the truth is and I dont have all materials to make a pro or counter statement about this decision.

But, since Stuve's point of view on this incident was in different light - I would love to know, if he has been consulted before the judgement was made. Where the court is there is always a place for defence.
It is always easier to make a decision when two understand eachother why they are doing what they are doing.

In the end, I do think, that he diserve to be punished for violation of rules in Overlord qualification, but as a tutor myself I would not deny him a chance for penance by banning him out of whole GCS2.

Thank you A_E for unlocking this thread and I wish you all great day!
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★