Login

russian armor

Ardeness Assault MP maps into automatch

21 Jun 2018, 21:26 PM

This is very welcome. Well done nigo!
jas
21 Jun 2018, 21:43 PM

Having done my fair share of compstomps in my time, I find it funny that the community would want to simultaneously remove so many maps from the game, and then add these ones instead. They're far from balanced and would be an endless source of tears.
21 Jun 2018, 21:55 PM
Lead Strategist Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jun 2018, 21:43 PMjas
Having done my fair share of compstomps in my time, I find it funny that the community would want to simultaneously remove so many maps from the game, and then add these ones instead. They're far from balanced and would be an endless source of tears.

Nobody said, that If Relic agrees to this here, the maps will go live without a rework. No worry.
No compstopm maps for automatch.

Sittuard Summer 2.0 will NOT happen again.
21 Jun 2018, 22:00 PM

Nobody said, that If Relic agrees to this here, the maps will go live without a rework. No worry.
No compstopm maps for automatch.

Sittuard Summer 2.0 will NOT happen again.

I'd endure Sittard Summer if it meant more 3v3/4v4 maps in rotation. I am so sick of Hill 300 and General Mud. Plus Redball is a default veto.
21 Jun 2018, 22:05 PM

The fact they've not been in the pool this whole time is a disgrace.

The multiplayer 1vs1 map pool has become an utterly boring experience.

Literally just shove all maps that can possibly be added, and it might revitalize a lot of players' desire to play. There's nothing to be lost here.
21 Jun 2018, 22:12 PM
Senior Mapmaker Badge
Benefactor 119

A good idea. A few of the AA maps have ladder potential.

Ladder mappers/pros ought to examine the recommended maps if they haven't already for playability in ladder.

If/when the maps become integrated, the bottom 3ish maps for 1v1/2v2 ought to be removed from automatch via statistical analysis.

https://www.coh2.org/topic/72044/2v2-map-veto-stats/page/1#post_id675998

https://www.coh2.org/news/59489/automatch-statistics-map-vetoes-and-win-percentages
21 Jun 2018, 22:16 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jun 2018, 21:43 PMjas

Your mistake is treating community as one. It is very divided when it comes to maps. There are some players who would wish to play the same map every time. There are some who would like as much variety as they can get. And there is plenty of steps in between, players who hate some particular maps, players who are biased towards certain factions, players who like different types of maps.

So yeah, when the map discussion comes along, for each map, there is always going to be a vocal group of people who will want to remove it or change it completely. But it does not yet mean the average community member would like it to be removed.
21 Jun 2018, 22:28 PM
Senior Editor Badge

Here we go guys, some of them in the images. Like I said before maybe some tweaks to them made by community mappers will make these maps wilth great potential for tournaments.

Tweaks examples: Change sectors muni/fuel/VPs for better competition.

imgur album: https://imgur.com/a/gf5oOuT

21 Jun 2018, 22:41 PM
Senior Editor Badge

Lets take LIENNE FOREST WINTER. A new version for this 4v4 popular map.:

A new setting in this map (winter) and a well balanced version of the sectors.

In this version the 4v4 crowd will fight for the fuel in one of the edge borders and in the forest. I think we will see less camping in this map because the new fuel sectors are in the middle, not in the bases.

21 Jun 2018, 22:46 PM
Senior Editor Badge

Another example Road to Liegneuville

A different setting this time - Night time

Looks like a small map, but needs some tweeks like change fuel/muni/VP sectors. I see great potential here for twitch streamers. :D

21 Jun 2018, 22:55 PM
Senior Editor Badge

One more: Baugnez Outskirts

Beautiful map with one village in the edge and a great forest. Needs a lot of trees removal. With that I see great potential map for tournaments.

21 Jun 2018, 22:59 PM
Senior Editor Badge

My favorite on Ardennes Assault: Bullingen Spearhead

A city map with a great open corridor on the flank. Remember an old 3v3 map from CoH1 Villers Bocage.

jas
21 Jun 2018, 22:59 PM

Your mistake is treating community as one. It is very divided when it comes to maps. There are some players who would wish to play the same map every time. There are some who would like as much variety as they can get. And there is plenty of steps in between, players who hate some particular maps, players who are biased towards certain factions, players who like different types of maps.

So yeah, when the map discussion comes along, for each map, there is always going to be a vocal group of people who will want to remove it or change it completely. But it does not yet mean the average community member would like it to be removed.

You're right, of course.

What I'd like to see in a future Relic game would be a separation between "Normal" automatch and "Ranked" automatch, like in some MOBA games. The normal mode could have a large variety of maps that aren't necessarily the most balanced, while the ranked mode could have something like only the top 4 least vetoed maps. That way the competitive people can play only the most balanced maps, while people who just want to have casual fun can enjoy a greater variety of maps.
21 Jun 2018, 23:34 PM
Senior Mapmaker Badge
Benefactor 119

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jun 2018, 22:59 PMjas

What I'd like to see in a future Relic game would be a separation between "Normal" automatch and "Ranked" automatch, like in some MOBA games. The normal mode could have a large variety of maps that aren't necessarily the most balanced, while the ranked mode could have something like only the top 4 least vetoed maps. That way the competitive people can play only the most balanced maps, while people who just want to have casual fun can enjoy a greater variety of maps.

+1

something very close to this should always be the case, while adding maps that are critically acclaimed by way of thorough testing and focusing on ladder mapping fundamentals
21 Jun 2018, 23:47 PM

Please put these in for the sake of giving us 2v2 players more maps since you all spoil the 1v1 crowd so much.
21 Jun 2018, 23:55 PM

yea how about we don't add any of these. They look horrible. Why do terrible maps keep getting added to the automatch pool only to be removed a year later. It doesn't make sense.
22 Jun 2018, 00:32 AM

How about a compromise? Don't add the 1v1 maps, because that's the competitive area and no one wants their rank dropping because of some imbalanced crap map. If some top players want to beta test, that's up to them.

Add the rest of them and let's have a comment period and you guys can look at that stats, which I assume you still collect. It's well-known the map maker community has trouble getting feedback, so just add them and let's try it. I think people in the 2v2 and larger game modes will be happy to have some new maps, even if not perfectly balanced.

22 Jun 2018, 01:02 AM
Senior Mapmaker Badge
Benefactor 119

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jun 2018, 23:55 PMGiaA
yea how about we don't add any of these. They look horrible. Why do terrible maps keep getting added to the automatch pool only to be removed a year later. It doesn't make sense.

They should all be reviewed by ladder mappers before being considered
22 Jun 2018, 01:30 AM

They should all be reviewed by ladder mappers before being considered

I have a lot of respect for you whiteflash, love argentan in particular but why have so many obvious trash maps been approved for automatch ? Westwall is a good example. I mean it doesn't take a couple of 100 games to realize that that map is bad.
22 Jun 2018, 01:48 AM
Senior Mapmaker Badge
Benefactor 119

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Jun 2018, 01:30 AMGiaA

I have a lot of respect for you whiteflash, love argentan in particular but why have so many obvious trash maps been approved for automatch ? Westwall is a good example. I mean it doesn't take a couple of 100 games to realize that that map is bad.

Thanks

The data needs to drive operations as far as ladder maps go such as this and this. There is no reasonable case to be made to do it any other way. I made this case in my COH3 article as well in the maps section.

New maps need to be thoroughly tested before implementation with a mapper assigned to a map (perhaps multiple) and his job is to go out and get groups of people to play on the map, he spectates or watches replays and solicits feedback and makes decisions where to make changes, if he is skilled in ladder mapmaking quality should be distilled from this process. This method is by far the best way to go.

Care has to be taken before moving forward as far as ladder goes. Not following these guidelines is why the map pool is what it is. I mean...if i change from 1v1 to 2v2 COH2 still doesnt remember which maps i vetoed and i have to select them over every time i switch game types, its been over 4 years and this still hasnt been fixed...this basic functionality shows the things falling through the cracks with the ladder in general.

1. Use data to remove existing maps
2. Thoroughly focus group test maps that desire to join ladder (or possibly map tournaments)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★