Login

russian armor

MG42 Post Patch

PAGES (10)down
12 Sep 2013, 20:55 PM

I just saw a MG42 turn. OMFG It turns slower than a SU-85. Don't give it a giant cone of fire if it's actually a liability. This is just bullshit.
12 Sep 2013, 21:19 PM

You actually need the supression bulletin to get something good out of it. The conscripts keep throwing their molotovs on my MG42s, running straight inzo the con of fire.

Maybe Relic should consider reducing its setup time?

12 Sep 2013, 21:27 PM

After playing mainly germans pretty much the whole day my mg squads are still the most cost effective units in the army. So they are not useless by any means.
12 Sep 2013, 22:34 PM

Okay, three times in the last game:

- Shock troopers run into my MG42 frontally.
- Aren´t pinned after three bursts, only suppressed.
- throw a grenade and/ or kill the MG42 with small arms fire frontally.

This is too much. I know the thing needed a nerf, but if hostile troops can run around after two bursts and aren´t even suppressed, that´s ridiculous. The blob can run around unharmed. Just swarm the 42. I call this overnerfed, two bursts should suppress, three should pin.

Shock Troops have increased suppression resistance by default + they can get another 10% of the bulletin. This could be something that needs to be look at, but they're reworking bulletins now so they're ready next patch.
12 Sep 2013, 23:16 PM

Shock Troops have increased suppression resistance by default + they can get another 10% of the bulletin. This could be something that needs to be look at, but they're reworking bulletins now so they're ready next patch.

i believe they have .2 suppression threshold just like other inf
12 Sep 2013, 23:21 PM

Balance discussion topic turned into advice giving and L2P. Sick.

12 Sep 2013, 23:22 PM

I'm pretty sure in the unit description says "increased resistance to suppression" I might have confused this with bulletin info though.
12 Sep 2013, 23:37 PM

Balance discussion topic turned into advice giving and L2P. Sick.

So in other words,you want instant pin back...
12 Sep 2013, 23:40 PM

Good job Relic, the russian whiners moaned so much that mg42 is now opposite of what it was ... useless.

They must have learned from you, I have seen you crying prepatch (with the most OP osteer ever) asking to nerf everything on every topic. And then you continue... I guess I'll see you whine more on every post, apparently that's the only thing you're able to. (for those who are curious just see all his posts, just asking everyday to nerf everything on the soviet side after his daily QQ).

This patch is brilliant. It is what the game needed.

Many of my clan mates were becoming frustrated and mad with their games, and noone enjoyed playing germans as there was a consensus that it was too easy to win. In team games, it was harder to flank out and often the germans were able to devastate our conscripts with mg42's. Even when we played as germans, games felt too easy, making very hard and savage early game plays was easy as germans and really they should be feeling the pressure in the early game from an aggressive soviet player. It was too easy for germans to lock down large sections of the map with a single unsupported MG team.

Gentleman, you may have your opinions of the game and this patch. But please support relic in this direction. I have the benefit of watching a small clan of players reactions, not just my own and we were barely playing in august and early september due to the disgusting state of the game. The game just wasn't fun and 42's suppressing in a single burst was degenerate and frustrating. It was so encouraging to hear one of my friends say, "Hey you were right comrade, this is really great now, i'm so glad I can play coh again". And then we even played a 4v4 as the germans and didn't feel like we were playing easy mode. It was wonderful.

Even seeing some tigers and is2's hitting the field =]. I have played CoH1 since 2006, I have played CoH2 since beta, and I think this patch is some of the best balance yet. A large part of this is the MG42 change.

Exactly the same on my side! couldn't say it better, and everyone in my clan agree that's the best patch since the launch.
12 Sep 2013, 23:51 PM

So in other words,you want instant pin back...

I never said that so don't just assume. As I said this is a very subtle problem but I do believe that soviet players are given too big of a cushion when using conscripts against MGs. Soviet players shouldn't be allowed to react late when they get caught in a MG42. Currently they can.
13 Sep 2013, 00:08 AM

I never said that so don't just assume. As I said this is a very subtle problem but I do believe that soviet players are given too big of a cushion when using conscripts against MGs. Soviet players shouldn't be allowed to react late when they get caught in a MG42. Currently they can.

But in reality patch removed instant pin (I'm not forgetting about 25% dmg). It's not that MG doesn't suppress now. It still does and still does it pretty quick. It doesn't pin squads after 2nd burst anymore and that's good.

Stand alone MG should be flanked by 2 squads. 1 drawing attention and other one flanking yet you guys still expect MG42 to be able to handle multiple units at once like it was before.
13 Sep 2013, 01:09 AM

Where is suppression gone?

edit:

another example, similiar situation, even worse

@Oz below: no idea
13 Sep 2013, 01:20 AM

That's weird. Was it because unit was in cover?
13 Sep 2013, 01:34 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Sep 2013, 01:09 AMgeist

MG seems to be shooting the strat point. I don't think it's the suppression change you're seeing so much as a weird fringe case where it's not actually hitting the squad very much.

After an Ostheer game or two, I'm not having any trouble getting suppression to work if an already set-up MG engages at decent range with a spotter, and it punishes well enough if you bait a unit into the MG arc. Unlike the claims of Panzerjager etc, I've had a maxim move into MG-42 arc and it got suppressed instantly and had to retreat. It's much more fun and engaging for me using it as a support unit and thinking of sneaky ways to bait a Soviet player into the range, and considering firing lines, cover and LOS and things than it was pre-patch.

By contrast, when a decent Soviet player uses shotblockers to approach, or catches one set up and skips past, I have to get out of there rather than just pinning and forcing those conscripts off. Also, when molotov'd in a building or barraged outside of one there's no sticking around, which is a nice change.
13 Sep 2013, 02:04 AM

received damage penalty for support weapon teams was much needed

the downside to that is that soviet players can easily take on mgs frontally which is an opposite problem from before when units would circle an mg and tickle it ineffectively. oohrah + molotov + some rifle pew pew = 1 script just killed or forced your mg to retreat.
13 Sep 2013, 02:15 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Sep 2013, 12:10 PMNullist

I didnt make any assumption.
He completely ignored the survival differential in his post.

And yws, it is time for Ost to whinge, like Sov (and especially you) did before this patch.

There you go making an assumption again. How about you keep the focus on what you know, not what you think you know.
13 Sep 2013, 02:17 AM

received damage penalty for support weapon teams was much needed

the downside to that is that soviet players can easily take on mgs frontally which is an opposite problem from before when units would circle an mg and tickle it ineffectively. oohrah + molotov + some rifle pew pew = 1 script just killed or forced your mg to retreat.

yeah I agree with the frontal assaults on mgs being ridiculous, no matter soviet or german.

The only problem I see with mg's for both sides, is that since the start of COH2, they have been used in the complete wrong way. The game mechanic allowed for this, and its a shame they still haven't got it right.
13 Sep 2013, 02:43 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Sep 2013, 01:34 AMBlovski

MG seems to be shooting the strat point. I don't think it's the suppression change you're seeing so much as a weird fringe case where it's not actually hitting the squad very much.

After an Ostheer game or two, I'm not having any trouble getting suppression to work if an already set-up MG engages at decent range with a spotter, and it punishes well enough if you bait a unit into the MG arc. Unlike the claims of Panzerjager etc, I've had a maxim move into MG-42 arc and it got suppressed instantly and had to retreat. It's much more fun and engaging for me using it as a support unit and thinking of sneaky ways to bait a Soviet player into the range, and considering firing lines, cover and LOS and things than it was pre-patch.

By contrast, when a decent Soviet player uses shotblockers to approach, or catches one set up and skips past, I have to get out of there rather than just pinning and forcing those conscripts off. Also, when molotov'd in a building or barraged outside of one there's no sticking around, which is a nice change.
Mg shooting at Strat point...Really? Thats your brilliant observation.
13 Sep 2013, 02:55 AM

In the videos posted it seems the mg42 was hitting shot blockers, the truck in the first and the hill incline on the second. Shot blockers definitely occured in con 1, though I can't say for sure if it exists in coh 2. In the first example the truck is clearly blocking shots as the mg42 couldn't even a quite the conscript for a certain period.
13 Sep 2013, 02:55 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Sep 2013, 01:09 AMgeist
[youtub][/youtub]

edit:

another example, similiar situation, even worse

[youtub][/youtub]

@Oz below: no idea

I would really like to know what's going on here - something is clearly broken in these two cases.
PAGES (10)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS