Login

russian armor

MG42 Post Patch

PAGES (10)down
13 Sep 2013, 03:16 AM

I dont see anything wrong with those videos. Mg42s shouldn't be able to kill anything or suppress from the front because they are not combat troops. They are support troops and should be doing things like peeling potatoes. They are more for recon if anything else.Your supposed to use your mg bullets to distract the enemy then rush in with your ostwinds. This makes the game fun because now you'll have to micro your mg and support it with air support and artillery.
13 Sep 2013, 03:23 AM

I dont see anything wrong with those videos. Mg42s shouldn't be able to kill anything or suppress from the front because they are not combat troops. They are support troops and should be doing things like peeling potatoes. They are more for recon if anything else.Your supposed to use your mg bullets to distract the enemy then rush in with your ostwinds. This makes the game fun because now you'll have to micro your mg and support it with air support and artillery.

There was obviously something going on with the game engine in both cases and likely have an explanation outside of 'mg42 sucks lol.'
13 Sep 2013, 03:46 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Sep 2013, 03:23 AMEndeav

There was obviously something going on with the game engine in both cases and likely have an explanation outside of 'mg42 sucks lol.'

A glitch most likely occurred it seems like.
13 Sep 2013, 03:52 AM

I disagree. Mg should be MORE effective from the front, but less effective as it turns out to its arc. Charging mg's is ridiculous, and should not be encouraged.

Mg is not a recon unit. Mg is all about suppression, not necessarily killing outright.
13 Sep 2013, 03:55 AM

Here are my thoughts; With hit the deck, the Mg is actually perfect and effective if used correctly. Perhaps they should increase the suppression by 10 percent. Then they should change Hit the Deck bonus by gaining veterancy 15 percent faster. This way the suppresion won't stack, and will remain balanced. For now, just use hit the deck, which I know sucks but soviets had to deal with the same thing when the maxim was unusable.
13 Sep 2013, 06:06 AM

The MG42 incendiary ammo should automatically fire around positions of enemy troops during blizzards to provide some warmth
13 Sep 2013, 06:47 AM

I would really like to know what's going on here - something is clearly broken in these two cases.

I've seen this happen quite a few times on Semoskiy as well (both Winter and Summer, happens a lot on that south island with fuel) where the MG simply refuses to deal any suppression even though it's actually killing 1 or 2 conscript models as my conscripts Oorah in from the front. I believe something happened unintentionally in this patch with terrain height affecting the MG42 bullets and making them no longer suppress for some reason - unless this was intended, in which case I would have to ask "What the fuck?"
13 Sep 2013, 07:49 AM

Had a couple games as a Geramn yesterday night and I confirm that MG42 is still a powerful unit when used correctly.
We've lost the match (2v2) but due to Katyusha's and my teammate saving for Elephant rather than fielding some tanks.
I find games more enjoyable after recent patch with higher number of skirmishes throughout and more intence fighting at the beginning. Previously it was to static as all you have to do is to dig in with MG and tech to tanks. Now you're really fighting over the land.
As I have said on official forum it will be intersting to see how the meta game will evolve.
13 Sep 2013, 07:57 AM

Weird that this didn't happen to me...or to everyone else,had 3 Conscripts squads retreat at least two times from MG in church...so attacking head-on doesn't work,flanking is a viable tactic now,just support your weapon team and you'll be okay
In the first video crew members were dying from those barrel's and truck's explosions,also maybe Conscripts were in cover...
Second video...Conscripts are in the exact same place as in the first video
13 Sep 2013, 08:55 AM

Here is a replay that will show how you should place your MG42 now. I know it's not ideal and opponent wasn't the greatest one but you will find that general rules apply.
Keep it behind, keep it safe, support your army with it. Don't support MG42 with your army.
Game is again 2v2 but this is my favorite game mode. I didn't know my teammate before this game just to clarify. Replay is rather short and with not so much of entertainment value but this wasn't the purpose of it.
I find that after the recent patch Germans aren't that boring to play anymore and I might just prefer them over Soviets now :)

General concept of how to use MG42 after the patch

13 Sep 2013, 11:36 AM
Developer Relic Badge
Donator 11

I think some of the old suppression should be given back to the MG.
13 Sep 2013, 11:55 AM

How do MG damages compare postpatch? Could somebody link those graphs?
13 Sep 2013, 12:59 PM

MG suppression needs to be buffed, considering that the real problem was the MG setup time in turning to suppress a flanking unit. Additionally, Relic needs to consider what Nullist has pointed out about the 25% damage nerf really hurting Ostheer more than Soviet 6 man squads.
13 Sep 2013, 13:19 PM

How do MG damages compare postpatch? Could somebody link those graphs?

http://coh2-stats.herokuapp.com/small_arms/hmg_team_mg42_mp
http://coh2-stats.herokuapp.com/small_arms/maxim_m1910_hmg_mp

Mg42 seems to be slightly better at 16 range and below... which is really very close considering their max range of 45.

From the few games I have played since the patch on both sides I'd say the MG42 feels alittle too weak now. Of course returning it to its old state isn't an option but I really would have prefered if Relic had done the survivability changes first with a simple nerf of suppression and the bulletin to reasonable levels instead of the hattrick performed by nerfing survivability, suppression and target switching all in one go.
13 Sep 2013, 13:40 PM
Donator 11

I've been playing soviet a lot more then Ostheer but I played about 10 games post patch with both factions.

2 points:

1- Suppression needs to be better on MG42 imo.
2- Mortars and MGs die to fast on retreat when getting chased imo.
13 Sep 2013, 13:48 PM

Of course returning it to its old state isn't an option but I really would have prefered if Relic had done the survivability changes first with a simple nerf of suppression and the bulletin to reasonable levels instead of the hattrick performed by nerfing survivability, suppression and target switching all in one go.

This. Relic has a habit of trying to nerf everything about a certain unit all at once if said unit goes out of control and then only to re-buff it a couple of patches later. First it was the Maxim, now it is the MG42. What next?

I agree with the direction of their balance changes on the most part, but the stats tweaking goes too far at times. It's almost as if they're trying to appease fanboys of the UP faction by making the other faction UP. All this does is further fuel the raging flame war between faction-specific players as now it becomes a matter of "we suffered last patch so now it's your turn." Frankly, this isn't good for the community whatsoever, unless the goal was to restart WW2 on the Internet over a game.
13 Sep 2013, 14:00 PM

http://coh2-stats.herokuapp.com/small_arms/hmg_team_mg42_mp
http://coh2-stats.herokuapp.com/small_arms/maxim_m1910_hmg_mp

I'll just add here, that in case you don't care about graphs on my site and would want to get only raw dps values (for whole weapon range) you can type /dps_data.json at the end, like this for example:
http://coh2-stats.herokuapp.com/small_arms/hmg_team_mg42_mp/dps_data.json

That's helpful if someone wanted to create some spreadsheet graphs with multiple weapons on one graph for better comparison.
13 Sep 2013, 14:04 PM
Honorary Member Badge

This. Relic has a habit of trying to nerf everything about a certain unit all at once if said unit goes out of control and then only to re-buff it a couple of patches later. First it was the Maxim, now it is the MG42. What next?

From a methological point of view, it is the most time efficient way to slightly overdo tweaks and correct what was overdone afterwards. In contrast, slowly tweaking things into the right direction until one hits the final point in most cases takes more patches.

long story short, Relic is doing it right!
13 Sep 2013, 14:25 PM

Just note to some people:
Small arms don't have projectiles (the tracers you see are for show only), so they cannot hit e.g. cover on their way to their target and lose their 'effectiveness'. Small arms either hit or don't hit. I'm not 100% sure how suppression works here, but I'm pretty confident it's not affected by the tracers hitting cover or other obstacles.
13 Sep 2013, 14:32 PM

Mg shooting at Strat point...Really? Thats your brilliant observation.

Something's broken and it looks like it isn't actually hitting the conscript squad much, hence applying no suppression. Usually in this patch an MG will suppress much faster than that.
PAGES (10)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 48
Korea, Republic Of 5
unknown 18

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %