7 Dec 2012, 23:28 PM
Admin Black Badge

We were expecting beta much earlier...
7 Dec 2012, 23:33 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post7 Dec 2012, 23:28 PMntd
We were expecting beta much earlier...

+1 :(
7 Dec 2012, 23:39 PM

Ah.. that part.. hmm yah.. kinda confused too they were saying it will come out before the end of the year..
but there is one but just limited one next week right ?
7 Dec 2012, 23:40 PM
Senior Editor Badge

very good news

keep us informed dear Relic
7 Dec 2012, 23:50 PM

well, theres like 3 more weeks to this year... :-P
7 Dec 2012, 23:57 PM

Ha, are they seriously trying to test and balance a game in less than 3 months? this is gonna be a joke. Guess i'll stick with sc2, where they can actually lauch a beta 6-7 months earlier.
8 Dec 2012, 00:04 AM

four weeks of waiting...
8 Dec 2012, 00:06 AM
Honorary Member Badge

Ha, are they seriously trying to test and balance a game in less than 3 months? this is gonna be a joke. Guess i'll stick with sc2, where they can actually lauch a beta 6-7 months earlier.

i don't get people like this... jumping to conclusions before there is anything to land on. while i share his doubts i don't understand why that means that one should just bail at first sign of troubled water.
8 Dec 2012, 00:15 AM

SC2 have 3 factions to balance...
8 Dec 2012, 02:13 AM

How would you balance getting up on a hill and having LoS over the opponent's base...off-map arty, scouting his tech...

The terrain would play a vital role , one of the great things about coh was the terrain deformation, it wasnt all just flat, the rises and falls in the landscape are the perfect oppertunity with to implent the balancing of the true sight mechanic in a more realistic way, if you want somewere on a map to be hard to see put obstaces and objects around it, or put it on a hill, under a cliff , in a crevas, really it just means you must keep this in mind when you design a competitive map.
It seems as if certian people are only willing to discuss positive aspects of the game, which is not a good reviewing technique.

And for the record i have played all coh games, im currently playing again on a new acc and have reached around lev 12 with most armies, so i know the basics.

3 of 3 Relic postsRelic 8 Dec 2012, 02:27 AM
Developer Relic Badge

So if my laptop can run vcoh on low settings with about 20fps I'll be fine for CoH2?

I should clarify. What I mean is that when CoH2 comes out, it won't require some super-beefy future system. CoH2's system requirements are a bit more than CoH1, but they're more in line with average computers nowadays.

Your laptop MIGHT run it, it might not - I'm not sure.
8 Dec 2012, 02:36 AM
Senior Caster Badge

The terrain would play a vital role , one of the great things about coh was the terrain deformation, it wasnt all just flat, the rises and falls in the landscape are the perfect oppertunity with to implent the balancing of the true sight mechanic in a more realistic way, if you want somewere on a map to be hard to see put obstaces and objects around it, or put it on a hill, under a cliff , in a crevas, really it just means you must keep this in mind when you design a competitive map.
It seems as if certian people are only willing to discuss positive aspects of the game, which is not a good reviewing technique.

And for the record i have played all coh games, im currently playing again on a new acc and have reached around lev 12 with most armies, so i know the basics.

You know "the basics" but you don't really understand what kind of game CoH is or what makes it fun. You don't understand what size the maps would have to be to support 3x view distances, you don't understand how it would change gameplay to give elevation a more important role, and you don't understand why these sorts of changes would remove what makes CoH the kind of game it is. You say that one of the great things about CoH was terrain deformation but you don't realize that terrain plays almost no role in CoH - bullets that roll a "hit" will go through hills and hit their target, and LoS isn't affected by hills or valleys, and this is by design.

If you don't believe me, then try playing Men of War, Close Combat, Theater of War (although I hear that Theater of War isn't very good), or even Combat Mission. These are games where line of sight goes to more realistic distances, the rise and fall of the landscape actually matter, and so on. They're fun games but they're completely different than CoH. CoH never has been and never should be a realistic game, because its strengths don't like in realism.
8 Dec 2012, 03:11 AM

I should clarify. What I mean is that when CoH2 comes out, it won't require some super-beefy future system.

Nice to hear! Now if I could only get the same announcement for Rome 2 Total war then I won't have to save for some monster computer next year.^^
8 Dec 2012, 10:12 AM
Honorary Member Badge

I've seen nothing but negative shit talk by you on this forum. This trailer sucks, the next trailer sucks, the devs are braindead, blablabla. ... I wish there was an ignore button on this forum, so i could filter childs like you. Get some common sense

I bet you are the first one to complain that the beta has bugs and is not finished like a retail game
8 Dec 2012, 10:42 AM
Caster Badge

An ignore button would be nice. In the meanwhile. Just ignore him and don't give him any attention.
8 Dec 2012, 10:48 AM

The maps dont need to be bigger, you can see from one end to the other, if thats the way the map maker designed it , and if he doesnt want you to see a certain area, well , walls , houses , hills ect ect. These gameplay changes sure do give elevation a more important role, however, thats how i immagined true sight working, i.e giving elevated positions some advantages, foe example more chance to hit your target.
8 Dec 2012, 11:05 AM
Honorary Member Badge

The maps dont need to be bigger, you can see from one end to the other, if thats the way the map maker designed it , and if he doesnt want you to see a certain area, well , walls , houses , hills ect ect. These gameplay changes sure do give elevation a more important role, however, thats how i immagined true sight working, i.e giving elevated positions some advantages, foe example more chance to hit your target.

I dont know how its gonna work in coh2 but in coh1, as a map maker you had to be very careful with elevations. You could only vary them really over long distances. Otherwise you run into problems with AT guns hitting the ground a lot.
If you have Elevations changing only over longer distances than AT gun range, you have to limit line of sight, or spotting units etc become obsolete.

You can have realism in mods like Blitzkrieg, played by noobs, realism geeks and skirmish players, but not in competitive multiplayer
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★