Login

russian armor

Where CoH 2 Went Wrong

28 Aug 2013, 14:41 PM

Lets not beat around the bush here, CoH 2 is a good game , some of the added features such as true sight work very well, but this is not a topic on what CoH 2 does well its about where it went wrong.

Now lets have a look at why CoH 2 did not have the same reception as the original and what can be improved upon in future.

. No lobby

A player is forced to play either automatch 500 VP , skirmish, campaign or a custom game with people only on your steam friends list. Annihilate and 1000 VP is not an option against online players.

*This has a negative impact on the game as a whole as people do not have a choice of how they want to play their game on their terms and must be forced to play games with rules they do not want. The community also suffers as players can no longer communicate with each other unless they are actively playing automatch.

. Commanders and New Commanders

Commanders do not seem as inspired and creative as they were previously. The reusing of the same doctrine abilities mixed with the same others abilities from another doctrine does not seem to warrant the title of a brand new doctrine but rather a variation of a previous one .

. SLI/Crossfire Support And Nvidia Issues

I understand that this causes some issues because of cold tech however a modern game in a modern era should support multiple gpu set ups. I am unsure this is because Relic did not work closely with AMD and especially Nvidia enough when they were creating /coding cold tech itself.

. Lack Of Maps

There are simply just not enough maps for the game at the moment, and the maps we do have, normally are copied again for a different weather condition.

. The Servers

In Almost every game there is a very high chance of a player dropping / being kicked despite not even lagging . Having a 4vs4 is incredibly hard to do.

Now lets look at the gameplay itself:

. Slow unit response times

Honestly this should never have made it into full release , regardless of it being because of the peer to peer system or not , I can not stress this enough , this has to be fixed. CoH 1 also had a peer to peer system and the response rate was far above acceptable. This issue is destroying this game from the inside out .

. Engineer Defences

The decision to take out sandbags and tank traps buildable by engineers on both sides has had a negative impact on gameplay as a whole. We have seen this work beautifully in the original CoH 1 and it even added an extra dimension to the game by giving players a blank canvas to *paint* and be creative with.

. Odd Unit Behaviour

From the countless games of CoH 2 I have played , units behave very strangely. When an infantry unit is walking to a location it will stop for no apparent reason as if they forget who or where they are. Infantry will dive into fire despite no order being given and fry themselves to death when your attention is desperately needed elsewhere. Tanks will sometimes go completely the opposite direction they are ordered to and will also rotate in a 360* motion when ordered just to move forward. The issue seems more obvious with forward moving commands than reverse gear.

discuss!
28 Aug 2013, 14:53 PM

. Lack Of Maps

There are simply just not enough maps for the game at the moment, and the maps we do have, normally are copied again for a different weather condition.

you make some good points.
for me to pay $60 i need a map maker with an active MOD community.

otherwise, i'll just play it on the odd occasion when i'm visiting the local internet cafe.
28 Aug 2013, 14:54 PM
28 Aug 2013, 15:19 PM
Donator 11

I understand that this causes some issues because of cold tech however a modern game in a modern era should support multiple gpu set ups. I am unsure this is because Relic did not work closely with AMD and especially Nvidia enough when they were creating /coding cold tech itself.

Sorry. can u explain that to me? i am about to get a new computer.( coming in 2 days :) )

its basically for work but I was looking for playing the game with a new experience.

so...The game will not support my to dual Nvidia Graphic cards(Nvidia GeForce GTX 670)?
28 Aug 2013, 15:40 PM
Donator 11

Sorry. can u explain that to me? i am about to get a new computer.( coming in 2 days :) )

its basically for work but I was looking for playing the game with a new experience.

so...The game will not support my to dual Nvidia Graphic cards(Nvidia GeForce GTX 670)?

SLI & Crossfire is still a bad idea and a waste of money imo, just get the best single gpu car not only will you save money but you will also save some headaches.

When I first built my system 2 years ago, I built it thinking I would add a second 580, but now I'm going to sell it and get a GTX 770
28 Aug 2013, 15:41 PM

nope. relic point to nvidia, nvidoa laughs and points the finder back. take a guess who is right.
28 Aug 2013, 15:59 PM

In my experience, Relic games never have a *ton* of maps. DOW2 didn't seem to, at least.

I do wish that infantry units would just move directly where you told them, when you told them to. I've noticed that they seem to try and move "cautiously" when cover is nearby, detouring to hide behind downed trees or sandbags briefly before continuing on their way.
28 Aug 2013, 19:23 PM

What's your experience with Relic games? DoW2 had ridiculously few maps. DoW1 had more maps than I could count. There were some I actually haven't even played yet.
28 Aug 2013, 19:32 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Aug 2013, 15:40 PMZ3r07

SLI & Crossfire is still a bad idea and a waste of money imo, just get the best single gpu car not only will you save money but you will also save some headaches.

When I first built my system 2 years ago, I built it thinking I would add a second 580, but now I'm going to sell it and get a GTX 770

i use the computer primarily for video editing,( i have 4 screens).

the game experience is a secondary for the use of my computer.

so. it will not support the 2 GPU?
28 Aug 2013, 20:23 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

Lets not beat around the bush here, CoH 2 is a good game , some of the added features such as true sight work very well, but this is not a topic on what CoH 2 does well its about where it went wrong.

Now lets have a look at why CoH 2 did not have the same reception as the original and what can be improved upon in future.

. The Servers

In Almost every game there is a very high chance of a player dropping / being kicked despite not even lagging . Having a 4vs4 is incredibly hard to do.

discuss!

I disagree with your point re 4 v 4.

For the most part, I find there are more players waiting to login on 4 v 4 than any other combo. Further, the waiting time for a 4 v 4 game is usually minimal. It often happens that one player is kicked, owing to his lag, but that is not the fault of the game.
28 Aug 2013, 20:40 PM

What's your experience with Relic games? DoW2 had ridiculously few maps. DoW1 had more maps than I could count. There were some I actually haven't even played yet.

I did mostly play Dawn of War 2 and its expansions. I played the original Dawn of War, and Dark Crusade, and I guess I do remember them having a lot of maps. I also went through both Homeworld games, but only for the campaigns.

Edit - to be fair, I did state originally that my statement was mostly made in light of DoW 2
31 Aug 2013, 20:41 PM

i use the computer primarily for video editing,( i have 4 screens).

the game experience is a secondary for the use of my computer.

so. it will not support the 2 GPU?

Just disable crossfire, no it wont work with it active.
1 Sep 2013, 13:14 PM

I disagree with your point re 4 v 4.

For the most part, I find there are more players waiting to login on 4 v 4 than any other combo. Further, the waiting time for a 4 v 4 game is usually minimal. It often happens that one player is kicked, owing to his lag, but that is not the fault of the game.

Um, I often find players with perfect connections, fine PCs and ports forwarded will be told they are lagging and kicked as a result of something either on the opponent's end or to do with the servers. Today I was matched in 1v1 against someone I had lag against three times in a row, with no obvious reason on my end and the game kept telling us that we were both lagging.

I think it might help a bit if the game made a bigger point of educating new users on port forwarding (like, with an in-game link to a guide and explanation of which ports need forwarding exactly, a tester) or explaining properly who was actually responsible for the lagging and why rather than just saying everyone's lagging and handing out kick buttons. I don't know how easy that would be but I think right now there's a lot of frustration because things aren't communicated very well by the game.
1 Sep 2013, 13:26 PM

Wasn't the exact same post made on the relic Forums?
1 Sep 2013, 13:33 PM

all of it been discused in million other threads
22 Sep 2013, 12:44 PM

Most of OP points doesn't seem to be permanent and can be fixed soon :).

With large exception of Field defenses, soviets should get DSHK emplacement (with fuel cost like US mg does) and both sides engineers should get larger variety of sand-bags/trenches (like shell craters, not british-style), wire, wire fields (from beta) and better choice of mines -both infantry and AT mines(bring back soviet suitcase mine and single tile S-mine) available without doctrine for both factions.

Defenses (mostly infantry cover) was important factor for games like CoH2 as well and proper balance between offensive and defensive tactics choices should be available for both factions :).
23 Sep 2013, 07:40 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Aug 2013, 15:40 PMZ3r07

SLI/Crossfire have some issues yes but i wouldnt say its waste of money. I think it really depends are you buying whole new computer or just making some update. For example, im running gtx680, so smart for me would be buy another 680 atm since they are quite cheap (under 300euros). 2x680 in sli will get really good performance. Ofc it wouldnt help for coh2...
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★