Login

russian armor

Soviet KV1 Commander's choice

4 Jun 2018, 06:34 AM

Hail all.

(1vs1 topic here, sorry for the late mention)

So the KV1 reveal itself being a really good asset in the current meta, at least vs Oshteer. It counters well 222 / Mobile defense strat and Ostheer T3 rush with multiple Pz4.
Vs OKW it also does well, we all have Helpinghans short video getting crazy when its command panther get killed by a chasing KV1.

So the ultimate question is: what KV1 commander fit better.
In the following picture, all "hirt the dirt" abilities have been replaced by a KV1

KV1 commanders are:
Counter-Attack
Guard Rifle combined tactic
Conscript support

I see VonIvan using a lot guard rifle combined tactic but I personally felt in love with Conscript support. So I would like to know your arguments on which commander fit better and why. If VonIvan could see the topic and explain his choice, that would be great!
4 Jun 2018, 07:34 AM

They are all pretty good commanders IMO, though the counterattack is a bit more spicy and off-meta. Currently I'm having tons of fun with the conscript support (by your suggestion I believe). It's really nice when I go for heavy t0 games because the conscripts simply get maximised utility, but the guards rifle is still a solid choice.

As an honourable mention I would like to suggest advanced warfare, as it gives a lot of conscript firepower, a surprisingly cost-effective strafe for only 90 munis and the t-34/85 which also performs admirably against the mobile defense meta.
4 Jun 2018, 08:09 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Jun 2018, 06:34 AMEsxile
Hail all.

So the KV1 reveal itself being a really good asset in the current meta, at least vs Oshteer. It counters well 222 / Mobile defense strat and Ostheer T3 rush with multiple Pz4.
Vs OKW it also does well, we all have Helpinghans short video getting crazy when its command panther get killed by a chasing KV1.

KV1 commanders are:
Counter-Attack
Guard Rifle combined tactic
Conscript support

I see VonIvan using a lot guard rifle combined tactic but I personally felt in love with Conscript support. So I would like to know your arguments on which commander fit better and why. If VonIvan could see the topic and explain his choice, that would be great!

Conscript support doctrine is very muni heavy though. Unless you have good map control you probably cant really use it effectivly. Also they nerfed rapid conscription into the ground. It´s utterly shit now.

KV1 chasing and killing a Panther is misleading because Hans showed him his rear armor the whole time. No way can a KV1 chase and kill a Panther under normal circumstances. It doesn´t have the speed to do so, it also can´t pen Panther´s frontal armor reliably.

I generally don´t think KV1 is that good. It does work well vs mobile defense though. That´s probably the main reason it´s used that often in 1v1 nowadays. It´s still very rare to see a KV1 in 2v2+.
4 Jun 2018, 09:17 AM

Conscript support doctrine is very muni heavy though. Unless you have good map control you probably cant really use it effectivly. Also they nerfed rapid conscription into the ground. It´s utterly shit now.

KV1 chasing and killing a Panther is misleading because Hans showed him his rear armor the whole time. No way can a KV1 chase and kill a Panther under normal circumstances. It doesn´t have the speed to do so, it also can´t pen Panther´s frontal armor reliably.

I generally don´t think KV1 is that good. It does work well vs mobile defense though. That´s probably the main reason it´s used that often in 1v1 nowadays. It´s still very rare to see a KV1 in 2v2+.

I edited my main post, I want to focus the topic more on 1vs1 strat.
Anyway, I was joking about Panther/Hans/Lol video, I strongly think the panther is the natural go to counter KV1. But I also think KV1 does very well not only versus mobile defense but also T3 rush strat. Pz4, stugs and jpz4 have really hard time to penetrate its armor.

KV1 is good, I can only tell you to give it some tries and see by yourself. Imo if the KV1 isn't seen much in 2vs2+, this is only because nobody think about it. KV1 is quite a monster in teamgame with a bit of strategy, I lately overplayed with them on 2vs2 and 4vs4 random and teamgame and my feeling is it does really great in those mods.
4 Jun 2018, 10:19 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Jun 2018, 09:17 AMEsxile

I edited my main post, I want to focus the topic more on 1vs1 strat.
Anyway, I was joking about Panther/Hans/Lol video, I strongly think the panther is the natural go to counter KV1. But I also think KV1 does very well not only versus mobile defense but also T3 rush strat. Pz4, stugs and jpz4 have really hard time to penetrate its armor.

KV1 is good, I can only tell you to give it some tries and see by yourself. Imo if the KV1 isn't seen much in 2vs2+, this is only because nobody think about it. KV1 is quite a monster in teamgame with a bit of strategy, I lately overplayed with them on 2vs2 and 4vs4 random and teamgame and my feeling is it does really great in those mods.

could this double AT to KV1 build work with cherchill too ?
Not
5 Jun 2018, 19:52 PM

Every KV-1 doctrine with a flame artillery support is more suited for playing against OST with a much support weapons, allowing you to push, while they are relocating. Other thing, you won't get Guards and flame together.
B-4 doctrine is good choice too. Agressive build with shocktroops, combined with mortar vet0 flare and munitions float, makes your agressive build even stronger. Later on, flare advantage will be more useful, when B-4 hits in the game (B-4 can insta destroy medium armor by shell falling really close.) And on the top of cake you will have a KV-1 that with double engineer would quickly repait to its 840hp (same with Panther, but repairing are faster)
Not even talking about "For Mother Russia" ability.

But picking a doctrine just for KV-1 is not always a good idea. Sometimes you could just not have enough fuel, or KV-1 would be not fitting into your agressive playstyle, since it will be slow to react on flank attacks.

p.s KV-1 is worse AI, than t-34, since it's coaxial MG wasn't buffed unlike t34's
6 Jun 2018, 06:14 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Jun 2018, 19:52 PMNot
Every KV-1 doctrine with a flame artillery support is more suited for playing against OST with a much support weapons, allowing you to push, while they are relocating. Other thing, you won't get Guards and flame together.
B-4 doctrine is good choice too. Agressive build with shocktroops, combined with mortar vet0 flare and munitions float, makes your agressive build even stronger. Later on, flare advantage will be more useful, when B-4 hits in the game (B-4 can insta destroy medium armor by shell falling really close.) And on the top of cake you will have a KV-1 that with double engineer would quickly repait to its 840hp (same with Panther, but repairing are faster)
Not even talking about "For Mother Russia" ability.

But picking a doctrine just for KV-1 is not always a good idea. Sometimes you could just not have enough fuel, or KV-1 would be not fitting into your agressive playstyle, since it will be slow to react on flank attacks.

p.s KV-1 is worse AI, than t-34, since it's coaxial MG wasn't buffed unlike t34's

I'm picking KV1 doctrine essentially for the fun and many times it is not the most appropriate doctrine.
Nice input on Counter-attack commander, I may give a try.
18 Jun 2018, 22:51 PM

Well in my opinion i use sometimes this commander with the kv1
Guard Rifle combined tactic to ``hold the line´´, that tank has a very good armor to hold the position and help it with guards and su 76 in a defensive way, also the il 2 attack help you
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 49
Germany 18
Israel 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak