Login

russian armor

Why the current popularity of Moblie Defense?

25 May 2018, 11:45 AM

Don't get me wrong!

It has always been a great faction and still is, but I'm just wondering about the apparent surge in popularity, when so little of it has actually been changed.

The only thing I can see is that the pop cap of the puma has been reduced ever so slightly, but conversely the commandpanzer buff has been nerfed significantly.

So is the current popularity mainly due to indirect buffs from other things being nerfed or what's the deal here? :huhsign:
25 May 2018, 12:36 PM
Strategist Badge

It was always been popular, but there were/are other commanders that Ost has that are also good.

The G43's are great on Grens, and are probably the most effective way to counter the PPSH cons, but with the cost increase of the PPSHs Soviets are instead falling back onto the T-70 to help in the mid-game. It's not uncommon for a soviet player to go for two t-70's right now. Therefore Ost players are going for the Puma to help fend off these light tanks without having to tech T2, or to complement a T2 strategy, either way the Puma is about the only mobile counter Ost has to a light vehicle. Not only that, the Command tank is still a very good unit and without tech.
25 May 2018, 12:51 PM

It was always been popular, but there were/are other commanders that Ost has that are also good.

The G43's are great on Grens, and are probably the most effective way to counter the PPSH cons, but with the cost increase of the PPSHs Soviets are instead falling back onto the T-70 to help in the mid-game. It's not uncommon for a soviet player to go for two t-70's right now. Therefore Ost players are going for the Puma to help fend off these light tanks without having to tech T2, or to complement a T2 strategy, either way the Puma is about the only mobile counter Ost has to a light vehicle. Not only that, the Command tank is still a very good unit and without tech.

Thanks for the answer. Is it viable to skip t3 entirely and rush for t4 with the mobile defense doctrine, or would you advice against it?
25 May 2018, 16:56 PM
Strategist Badge

Thanks for the answer. Is it viable to skip t3 entirely and rush for t4 with the mobile defense doctrine, or would you advice against it?

Skipping T3 is viable but only if you go T2 so you can back up the somewhat softer AT of the Puma with the pak.

If you are having a great game you can probably skip T2 and T3 but if you are that far ahead you would realistically be better served by compounding your advantage with an early medium Tank.
25 May 2018, 17:02 PM

Skipping T3 is viable but only if you go T2 so you can back up the somewhat softer AT of the Puma with the pak.

If you are having a great game you can probably skip T2 and T3 but if you are that far ahead you would realistically be better served by compounding your advantage with an early medium Tank.

Oh year I wouldn't presume that both 2 and 3 could be skipped :D

This is all good feedback though and I'll try to do some exerimpenting.
25 May 2018, 18:52 PM
Strategist Badge

26 May 2018, 12:58 PM

Been seeing this strat abused a lot lately.

222 x2
Flame halftrack
Take over map with smoke and flame halftrack flanking
(takes 2 at gun shots to take out light vehicles, usually 1 shot misses and the when the 222 takes damage he just pops smoke)

Puma comes in to stop t70 that tries to give you map control on the other side of the map

If you lose your fuel you pretty much die to overwhelming bleed and fuel lose keeps you from teching up (Forced to get AT nades and AT guns)

Command panzer pops out to close the game / base rush.

This last patch made the early to mid very easy for wehr is all I have to say. It's just now if you do make it to the lategame, the ultra late game tank call-ins will be stopped by pgrens with shreks.
29 May 2018, 06:22 AM

Been seeing this strat abused a lot lately.

222 x2
Flame halftrack
Take over map with smoke and flame halftrack flanking
(takes 2 at gun shots to take out light vehicles, usually 1 shot misses and the when the 222 takes damage he just pops smoke)

Puma comes in to stop t70 that tries to give you map control on the other side of the map

If you lose your fuel you pretty much die to overwhelming bleed and fuel lose keeps you from teching up (Forced to get AT nades and AT guns)

Command panzer pops out to close the game / base rush.

This last patch made the early to mid very easy for wehr is all I have to say. It's just now if you do make it to the lategame, the ultra late game tank call-ins will be stopped by pgrens with shreks.

VonIvan has a lot of subs ^_^
He is also the one who found the counter with Soviet...
29 May 2018, 07:02 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 May 2018, 06:22 AMEsxile

VonIvan has a lot of subs ^_^
He is also the one who found the counter with Soviet...

You will tell me about this counter right now, my good man! :hyper:
29 May 2018, 07:57 AM

You will tell me about this counter right now, my good man! :hyper:

Soviet counter is duck your head until you can field a KV1 (includes having a KV1 commander on your loadout). Pumas can't do shit vs KV1, even Stugs have problem to penetrate it.
29 May 2018, 08:02 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 May 2018, 07:57 AMEsxile

Soviet counter is duck your head until you can field a KV1 (includes having a KV1 commander on your loadout). Pumas can't do shit vs KV1, even Stugs have problem to penetrate it.

Ah. So once again we go back to Guards rifle being meta for soviets :rofl:
29 May 2018, 08:13 AM

Ah. So once again we go back to Guards rifle being meta for soviets :rofl:

I haven't see Von using a lot Guards in those sessions. Guards are damn expensive and I don't know if you trade very well vs multiple 222 and a 251FT, remember they have been nerfed in this patch while 222 have been buffed. I think you really need a Zis (probably two), some mines and Atnade to quickly end an overextending 222.

29 May 2018, 08:30 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 May 2018, 08:13 AMEsxile

I haven't see Von using a lot Guards in those sessions. Guards are damn expensive and I don't know if you trade very well vs multiple 222 and a 251FT, remember they have been nerfed in this patch while 222 have been buffed. I think you really need a Zis (probably two), some mines and Atnade to quickly end an overextending 222.

So which KV-1 commander does he use then? Surely he wants one that also gives the ppsh assault package?
29 May 2018, 08:42 AM

So which KV-1 commander does he use then? Surely he wants one that also gives the ppsh assault package?

He uses Guard rifle combined arms, but I haven't see him using guards in number, max 1 squad.
I like Conscript Support because of the combo you can do with a KV1 rushing in a middle of an incendiary arty strike.

KV1 has replace Hit the Dirt in both doctrines.
29 May 2018, 09:13 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 May 2018, 08:42 AMEsxile

He uses Guard rifle combined arms, but I haven't see him using guards in number, max 1 squad.
I like Conscript Support because of the combo you can do with a KV1 rushing in a middle of an incendiary arty strike.

KV1 has replace Hit the Dirt in both doctrines.

Ah yes. Conscript support might actually find relevance for the first time in the history of coh2 :p

It's is actually not bad now that it has the KV-1 to bolster the late game. The rapid conscription is still quite good, although it is now only a shadow of its former self and the incendiary is going to be great for breaking up a PAK wall before rushing through with armor.

I might actually test this one out :D
29 May 2018, 09:38 AM

Ah yes. Conscript support might actually find relevance for the first time in the history of coh2 :p

It's is actually not bad now that it has the KV-1 to bolster the late game. The rapid conscription is still quite good, although it is now only a shadow of its former self and the incendiary is going to be great for breaking up a PAK wall before rushing through with armor.

I might actually test this one out :D

I bought Conscript (with in-game currency) because of that. I wanted to test the KV1 a bit more some weeks ago, was using the Guard doctrine in many games and finally faced a dual pak barrage. I won the game but was concerned about how pak counter so well the KV1, so I had the idea to sneak around the store to see if there was more KV1 commanders and found Conscript Support.

Hell a commander allowing you to spam Conscript + PPSH and incendiary barrage AND KV1, it made my day!

Now I'm not a super ranked Soviet player, don't know how it performs on highest level but I'm making my way to top 200 and I hope soon enough top 100.
29 May 2018, 13:36 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 May 2018, 09:38 AMEsxile

I bought Conscript (with in-game currency) because of that. I wanted to test the KV1 a bit more some weeks ago, was using the Guard doctrine in many games and finally faced a dual pak barrage. I won the game but was concerned about how pak counter so well the KV1, so I had the idea to sneak around the store to see if there was more KV1 commanders and found Conscript Support.

Hell a commander allowing you to spam Conscript + PPSH and incendiary barrage AND KV1, it made my day!

Now I'm not a super ranked Soviet player, don't know how it performs on highest level but I'm making my way to top 200 and I hope soon enough top 100.

Noice. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, being around the top 200 (though I've recently taken a dip due to decay and too much post-patch experimentation), so I'll try this one out. Perhaps we shall meet on the battlefield :D
30 May 2018, 08:28 AM

Oh man I just tried out the Conscript support doctrine last night and that one is definitely going to be in my steady lineup for a while. It synergizes really well with the strong T0 opening. And the extra repairpotential means that my tanks can get quickly back into the fray.

Thanks for the advice :thumbsup:
30 May 2018, 18:35 PM

Mobile Defense will probably be the best Ostheer commander until they tie the Command Tank to Tier 3 and the Puma to Battlephase 2. Kind of unfortunate that units you don't have to tech for at all come out shortly after the units you do have to pay teching costs for. Kind of worried about the state of this commander for GCS2. I guess Ostheer call-in meta is fine though apparently.....FeelsBadMan :(
31 May 2018, 15:08 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

jump backJump back to quoted post29 May 2018, 09:38 AMEsxile

So I hear tell, all you need is a KV1 and a little micro, in order to beat the Panther of a high-ranking player :P

https://clips.twitch.tv/StrongMoldyZebraKreygasm
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS