Login

russian armor

SBP: Panther armour nerfed. Comet now relevant?

19 May 2018, 14:21 PM

What's in the title really, The comet has always seal clubbed most mediums into oblivion and originally was basically just a better panther, since the nerfs it's been basically a more expensive cromwell and hence unusable, especially with how ridiculously good the churchill is right now.

The panther has had an armour nerf now. I haven't used the comet yet in multiplayer, but is the comet worth using again? i.e.- does it penetrate panthers frontally again, at least decently often??
19 May 2018, 15:14 PM

The comet does seem to perform slightly better, although I have only used it in 1 game so far. However, the Comet is still not worth building imo because its AI is terrible. It seems to perform worse than the Cromwell against infantry and AI is what a lategame brit really needs since they already have the Firefly and 6-pounder for AT.

The Churchill synergizes much better with a lategame brit army and combined with the airburst shells and heavy sappers make this choice a no brainer for me.

They really need to give hammer specialization something special because right now it sucks unless you want to go for some crazy VonIvan tank all-in with war speed.
19 May 2018, 16:09 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

Honestly can't tell because the meta hasn't set yet, however since the churchill was unchanged and the FF is relativly untouched stat wise, I'd use these two. Just be wary of building churches into to many stugs and JP4s.
19 May 2018, 16:28 PM

Well yeah war speed and spotting are the only useful things in hammer rn anyway tbh. Unless they make gammon bombs stick and snare like satchels, it'll probably stay that way.

True, although stugs did get a nerf and so did panther armour so I guess the churchill indirectly got buffed... because obviously it wasn't monsterous enough already, gg no ree lelic XD
19 May 2018, 18:57 PM

Panther gets its armour back at vet 2, better RoF at vet 3

Comet gets a grenade gimmick at vet 3 when it already has a grenade ability and nerfed WP shells, so no it's really not worth building vs tanks or inf really.

Comet needs better vet (RoF, moving accuracy) as right now it's just not worth hammer tech+185 fuel. You can get two cromwells for same price as teching for one, and two cromwells actually have good vet (RoF at vet 3) despite them being kinda lackluster compared to HE sherman or P4.
19 May 2018, 19:05 PM

Panther gets its armour back at vet 2, better RoF at vet 3

Comet gets a grenade gimmick at vet 3 when it already has a grenade ability and nerfed WP shells, so no it's really not worth building vs tanks or inf really.

Comet needs better vet (RoF, moving accuracy) as right now it's just not worth hammer tech+185 fuel. You can get two cromwells for same price as teching for one, and two cromwells actually have good vet (RoF at vet 3) despite them being kinda lackluster compared to HE sherman or P4.

It does not the armor back, a Ostheer Panther vet 2 is weaker than an Panther vet 2 pre-patch while being more expensive.

A vet 2 panther has 286/99 armor from 320/110.

The only buff it got is 0.005 far accuracy.
19 May 2018, 20:51 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 May 2018, 19:05 PMVipper

It does not the armor back, a Ostheer Panther vet 2 is weaker than an Panther vet 2 pre-patch while being more expensive.

A vet 2 panther has 286/99 armor from 320/110.

The only buff it got is 0.005 far accuracy.

pretty close to old zero vet armour then, which would bounce Sherman shells all day long. Combine that with the extra health and it's a buff
19 May 2018, 21:48 PM
Senior Caster Badge
Patrion 39

pretty close to old zero vet armour then, which would bounce Sherman shells all day long. Combine that with the extra health and it's a buff

Wrong, you gained that health at vet 2.
22 May 2018, 17:04 PM

I always had quite a lot of luck with the front of panthers tbh, for me Sherman’s and Churchill’s seemed to go through pretty often especially at close range, it’s just that anything with a better gun other than the firefly seemed to not penetrate often enough to be worth it. (All of the better Shermans and the comet) last 3 patches I’ve been just spamming Churchill’s backed up with 6 pdrs. Because having 3 heavy tanks when your opponent can only field 1 is hilariously good regardless of the effectiveness of the gun on them.

The comet needs more pen in order to scale, RoF is nice but the thing will still just be an expensive Cromwell and will just crap on mediums slightly harder than it already does. The thing has a HV 77mm for christ’s sake it should have more pen than the 17pdr but atm it has less than the 6pdr. I agree with the vet though. They should give it 6pdr vet where it fires sabot like the 6pdr at vet 3. Could slow the RoF down if need be. The pen is more important. Would be fairer and historically accurate.

That’s why I made this, if the comet now pens panthers reliably, it will be relevant again.
27 May 2018, 06:56 AM

Used the comet, can confirm it is garbage still, never really got to see if it could penetrate more reliably because it nearly always missed for a start and bounced if it didn't, I don't think that's me just being smited by RNGesus either. It obviously also has absolutely zero anti infantry still too. With the rate of fire increase on the panther, it seems to perform worse than it used to as the panther can fire more often. I honestly think the cromwell just does the current job of the comet better, or definitely more cost effectively and with better veterancy buffs.

Off choice of tank alone, disregarding the rest of hammer and anvil, the churchill seems just far superior. It slaughters infantry, has basically infinite HP and can reverse through it's own smoke at LUDACRIS SPEED! It seems to be way better at duelling panthers, even through frontal armour as well, even if the panther pens it more often, it's balanced by its awesome hp pool. With the rest of anvil being so good, and the rest of hammer being so irrelevant. It still seems like a no brainer for me unfortunately.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 40
New Zealand 38
Germany 9
unknown 3
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L