Login

russian armor

state of british artillery

14 May 2018, 06:07 AM

if the pit could shot above the half map on mostly maps...it should fragil like the lef18 from germans...
14 May 2018, 06:56 AM

Honestly I think part of the best way to make British artillery relevant would be just to make it (especially the regiment) actually work, it’s always had bugs like the 25pdr having less blast radius than a frag grenade but that’s fixed now. I personally think airburst should get some kind of crit damage, it’s meant to make the barrage more effective against infantry but it’s worse than the shells, so many times have I seen airburst land directly on a squad and reduce every member to half health without killing anyone. If you’re stupid enough to leave your stuff to stand in an airburst volley for 30 seconds whilst they aim at you, your stuff should die.

The recon flares are garbage and random, they should either be drawn towards concentrations of units to make them reliable or you should be able to place it like the soviets can. Especially seeing as now that you can’t place concentration barrage in fog of war, it’s the only way to make the barrage useful.

The issue as well is that everything is soooo goddamn expensive. Now that you need vision to fire it, it costs you 160 munitions to fire (because you need the flares) to essentiallly do what the LefH does for free. They should either get rid of airburst from concentration barrage and make it cost 30 munitions or something, you just can’t keep up with LefHs when it costs you all of your munitions. Or better yet leave it as it is and make the LefH and ML20 cost munitions to fire. The sexton is fine, could maybe use a tad more range as it basically has the same range as a jagtiger and lefh’s just can’t be touched by it.

Despite all this, I still think royal artillery is the most playable commander right now as it’s the only one able to deal with LefHs reliably if you have a friend with recon. Basically British with the best artillery would make them overpowered yes as they are defensive and you need to be able to break that somehow. But what little they do have should actually be competitive and useful.
14 May 2018, 08:58 AM

Honestly I think part of the best way to make British artillery relevant would be just to make it (especially the regiment) actually work, it’s always had bugs like the 25pdr having less blast radius than a frag grenade but that’s fixed now. I personally think airburst should get some kind of crit damage, it’s meant to make the barrage more effective against infantry but it’s worse than the shells, so many times have I seen airburst land directly on a squad and reduce every member to half health without killing anyone. If you’re stupid enough to leave your stuff to stand in an airburst volley for 30 seconds whilst they aim at you, your stuff should die.

The recon flares are garbage and random, they should either be drawn towards concentrations of units to make them reliable or you should be able to place it like the soviets can. Especially seeing as now that you can’t place concentration barrage in fog of war, it’s the only way to make the barrage useful.

The issue as well is that everything is soooo goddamn expensive. Now that you need vision to fire it, it costs you 160 munitions to fire (because you need the flares) to essentiallly do what the LefH does for free. They should either get rid of airburst from concentration barrage and make it cost 30 munitions or something, you just can’t keep up with LefHs when it costs you all of your munitions. Or better yet leave it as it is and make the LefH and ML20 cost munitions to fire. The sexton is fine, could maybe use a tad more range as it basically has the same range as a jagtiger and lefh’s just can’t be touched by it.

Despite all this, I still think royal artillery is the most playable commander right now as it’s the only one able to deal with LefHs reliably if you have a friend with recon. Basically British with the best artillery would make them overpowered yes as they are defensive and you need to be able to break that somehow. But what little they do have should actually be competitive and useful.

In the future I suggest you avoid confrontations with a particular person whose name starts with "u" because they are well known Axis fanboys on here.

And for the record, you're comparing something the British get by default and basically for free to something that the Axis get doctrinally and by having to pay fuel and manpower for it.

But yes, overall I do agree that they either need to fix the pit or the 25 pounders at the very least.
14 May 2018, 15:27 PM

In the future I suggest you avoid confrontations with a particular person whose name starts with "u" because they are well known Axis fanboys on here.

And for the record, you're comparing something the British get by default and basically for free to something that the Axis get doctrinally and by having to pay fuel and manpower for it.

But yes, overall I do agree that they either need to fix the pit or the 25 pounders at the very least.

Hahahah I’ll keep that in mind.

I’m talking about concentration barrage, the British don’t get it by default, you have to take royal artillery to get it. I get that the Germans pay fuel for an lefH and thats part of my issue, royal artillery regiment acts as a ‘artillery counter regiment’ not ‘artillery regiment’ so the Germans spend 50 fuel on an lefH and I squash it with airburst and 25pdr fire. That’s no fun for anyone, it’s a no brainer boring counter for me and they just wasted 50 fuel because it destroys the gun. I’d rather concentration barrage act identically to an lefH barrage without airburst and cost say 30 munitions a go to scare off some mortars or machine guns cheaply like it does for axis and force me to counter the LefH properly rather than it acting as the no brainer lefH squasher it is now.

The tommy flares are fine, let them keep the airburst but make it work and perhaps make the guns aim faster.

Unfortunately I think the only way to fix the mortar pit right now is just to give British a mobile mortar that can garrison a pit for a buff (more range and a second mortar) the issue is that without cheap artillery and without a mobile mortar, brits get countered hard by both, mobility is key as always, brits can still be defensively oriented but they’d really need this, especially for deploying smoke to attack. They gave USF a mortar team because they needed it even though they had the howitzer already, I think especially with the meta working as it does now, a mobile mortar team is as essential a unit as a machine gun (which OKW also got because they needed it)
14 May 2018, 16:52 PM

Hahahah I’ll keep that in mind.

I’m talking about concentration barrage, the British don’t get it by default, you have to take royal artillery to get it. I get that the Germans pay fuel for an lefH and thats part of my issue, royal artillery regiment acts as a ‘artillery counter regiment’ not ‘artillery regiment’ so the Germans spend 50 fuel on an lefH and I squash it with airburst and 25pdr fire. That’s no fun for anyone, it’s a no brainer boring counter for me and they just wasted 50 fuel because it destroys the gun. I’d rather concentration barrage act identically to an lefH barrage without airburst and cost say 30 munitions a go to scare off some mortars or machine guns cheaply like it does for axis and force me to counter the LefH properly rather than it acting as the no brainer lefH squasher it is now.

The tommy flares are fine, let them keep the airburst but make it work and perhaps make the guns aim faster.

Unfortunately I think the only way to fix the mortar pit right now is just to give British a mobile mortar that can garrison a pit for a buff (more range and a second mortar) the issue is that without cheap artillery and without a mobile mortar, brits get countered hard by both, mobility is key as always, brits can still be defensively oriented but they’d really need this, especially for deploying smoke to attack. They gave USF a mortar team because they needed it even though they had the howitzer already, I think especially with the meta working as it does now, a mobile mortar team is as essential a unit as a machine gun (which OKW also got because they needed it)

Ah, I thought you meant the ordinary flares the IS get.

As for the Artillery Regiment ones, then I can't state my opinion on that because I have limited experience with those due to obvious reasons.

But yeah I agree with your point about the regular IS flares.

And lastly, I like the way you think about the Mortar Pit, those are more or less my words whenever there is a discussion about it.
15 May 2018, 04:40 AM

the 25 pounder isn't "free". you at the least need to spend munition on the barrage.

Neither the 25 pounder nor the major measure up to the axis rocket artillery, much less the on map howitzer.

And it's not like the panzerwerfer or the stuka are "weaker" than the howitzer.

The howitzer's main advantage is safety. On most map you can plant a howitzer next to your base and still cover most of the map. Rocket artillery require the unit to get closer.

Neither the British nor the US IRL really used rocket artillery, during WW2 or afterward. Both countries had already mastered the art of fire mission and there was no real need for rocket artillery.

By contrast both the german and soviet gravitated toward rocket artillery because it was easy to use and have a low skill floor. The soviet lack radio equipment and rely mostly on pre-planned barrage. The german were hardy better and moved toward Western howitzer doctrine post war.

This is why both the british and USF in game have Howitzer as their strongest tech artillery, because it was what they were good at. Instead of rocket artillery or on map howitzer, both the USF and UKF get pseudo off map howitzer.
15 May 2018, 06:01 AM

the 25 pounder isn't "free". you at the least need to spend munition on the barrage.

Neither the 25 pounder nor the major measure up to the axis rocket artillery, much less the on map howitzer.

And it's not like the panzerwerfer or the stuka are "weaker" than the howitzer.

The howitzer's main advantage is safety. On most map you can plant a howitzer next to your base and still cover most of the map. Rocket artillery require the unit to get closer.

Neither the British nor the US IRL really used rocket artillery, during WW2 or afterward. Both countries had already mastered the art of fire mission and there was no real need for rocket artillery.

By contrast both the german and soviet gravitated toward rocket artillery because it was easy to use and have a low skill floor. The soviet lack radio equipment and rely mostly on pre-planned barrage. The german were hardy better and moved toward Western howitzer doctrine post war.

This is why both the british and USF in game have Howitzer as their strongest tech artillery, because it was what they were good at. Instead of rocket artillery or on map howitzer, both the USF and UKF get pseudo off map howitzer.

The item itself is free.

I didn't say anything about using it.

But still I'd rather pay munitions than fuel and manpower.
15 May 2018, 06:19 AM

Could include the howitzer in mortar pit barrage (for small muni cost) to round them out a bit and make the pit a bit more attractive. It's not like the 25lbs are b4s or anything so a slightly stronger barrage could go a long way for both units
15 May 2018, 06:25 AM

Could include the howitzer in mortar pit barrage (for small muni cost) to round them out a bit and make the pit a bit more attractive. It's not like the 25lbs are b4s or anything so a slightly stronger barrage could go a long way for both units

that was my initial plan, but it would mean the british still need to spend 45 mu to move a mg.

which is why I suppose making the 25 pdr barrage a 60mu base ability dependent on sight, and the FOO tommies get a free victor barrage for the mortar.

the Victor barrage is free because you need to build and maintain a mortar pit.

the 25 pdr barrage being dependent on sight means the FOO tommies still have the responsibility of sighting for it.

the FOO upgrade is blindingly obvious to the enemy, and the axis counter british artillery by focusing on the FOO.

if the british keep the FOO out of a firefight in the back, he's keeping one of his combat unit out of the fight.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 140

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight