Login

russian armor

Tips vs Snipers with SU85 (1v1)

20 Aug 2013, 11:59 AM

I've been beaten a few times by higher level players doing this.

I can keep up early game, but then they transition into snipers covered by SU85s.

My PZ4s cant handle the SU85s (close combat is dangerous due to the conscripts AT nading it). And the snipers wack my infantry.

Anyone have any insights on how to handle this? It doesn't seem realistic to deny fuel for the SU85 and I can't countersnipe, chasing the snipers with scoutcars also seems rather sketchy late game due to AT nades and SU85s prowling the field.
20 Aug 2013, 12:11 PM

Permanently Banned
Mmmmm Panther, no. Tiger no. Axis snipers : really hard compared to russians job .... Mortar : Why not .. Élefant for 260 fuel trololololol. Pak 43 for 600 manpower : yes. Stop tp play coh 2 Man. ... This game is a noob game ...poor combined ARMOR snipers + su-85 no brain frontal attck and 0 combined ARMOR ... Panther useless ... The job of russians CAN doing by a Baby of 2 years old ....and russians havé no macro BECAUSE t-4 axis useless ... His build dépend never of axis build ... H havé his strat before the game and don't need use his head in the game fo his build .... À idiot CAN play russian and a retarded
20 Aug 2013, 12:16 PM

Thanks, I was hoping for something more concrete than a list of how the Soviets are OP though.
20 Aug 2013, 12:18 PM

Permanently Banned
Op ? It's not a question of Op, it's just you don't need head for play russians. Normale coh 2 is a stratégie and tactic game ..
21 Aug 2013, 13:57 PM

Op ? It's not a question of Op, it's just you don't need head for play russians. Normale coh 2 is a stratégie and tactic game ..

If Russians are that easy to play why aren't you ranked number 1?

And to counter the SU85 and sniper combo you have to um...well i think only the Elephant can save you. I never seen an effective counter for it by any players.
22 Aug 2013, 10:30 AM

So we're really down to gaining a big advantage before they can put together this setup.

I've had sorta-success with doing sneak attacks with flamer HTs from the side after drawing the Russians forward. Like give up some ground, let him come after you, then drive the HT around the side so it doesn't get immediately killed by the SU85(s).
It's still a suicide run but you can get the snipers at times.

Elephant seems sketchy in 1v1, as do Panthers (although i've not really tried for lack of fuel).

I was thinking about some sort of artillery to threaten the snipers. So maybe mortars/mortar HT with napalm or the howitzer/panzerwerfer could be an idea. If you can get rid of the snipers you can hit the SUs with shrek squads.
22 Aug 2013, 10:40 AM

I usually build a mortar or mortar HT. You can use the smoke barrage to blind the SU-85 and the snipers and I regularly kill some snipers with a direct hit.
I also make sure to have a HT nearby to quickly reinforce my grens.
23 Aug 2013, 15:28 PM

Played some more, using mortars/mortar HT once the combo is set up.

It sort of works, if you can threaten the snipers with indirect fire he's not as effective. If you can chase them off you can follow up with PAK/pzgrens with shreks since the SUs aren't very hot against that.

It's a bit sad that the PAK isn't better...
23 Aug 2013, 16:11 PM

In vCoH you would just build a sniper to countersnipe the shit outta the enemy. I don't understand why the soviet snipers are 2 man teams..
24 Aug 2013, 22:16 PM

Elephants are the number one answer to su-85 in my opinion so their tanks will have to back off and then there are a few ways to deal with snipers :

sniper
scout car (only if their su-85 has back off)
gren rifle grenade works well
charge with pgren and they will retreat
mortar is gd

these are just ways which ive gotten rid of them before
24 Aug 2013, 22:18 PM

In vCoH you would just build a sniper to countersnipe the shit outta the enemy. I don't understand why the soviet snipers are 2 man teams..

ive noticed that u can counter snipe a soviet sniper team and ur sniper will re cloak before the last man has a chance to shoot back...them having a 2 man squad just means he can retreat after losing the 1st man.
24 Aug 2013, 22:56 PM

What i do against snipers: Charge grenadiers. Martar(-halftracks) are too luck based. Pgrenadiers are too costly.

Against SU85: Wait for Elefant, get an Ostwind afterwards.
24 Aug 2013, 23:36 PM

Permanently Banned
with new patch, you can make panther for counter SU-85 .... and so motar HT for counter sniper russians, or motar, or maybe one sniper.
24 Aug 2013, 23:47 PM

panther is fast so can flank su-85 quickly just watch for AT nade....vs sniper and su-85 on maps that arent that open like kolodny ferma just keep ur units around corners with hedges and buildings etc...su-85 and sipers rely on site lines so cut down their site lines and they will have to come close making them vunerable
24 Aug 2013, 23:49 PM

What i do against snipers: Charge grenadiers. Martar(-halftracks) are too luck based. Pgrenadiers are too costly.

Against SU85: Wait for Elefant, get an Ostwind afterwards.

im not sure t4 with elephant is a good idea because u wanna save up all ur fuel for elephant instead of wasting it by teching up and if he has allot of snipers its gonna cost him allot of manpower
25 Aug 2013, 08:56 AM

Well yeah, an elephant is great, it slaughters any armor.

However it's not a realistic solution due to the cost both in fuel and CP's. The soviets will have ground you to dust well before you can get it out.
26 Aug 2013, 07:47 AM

Elefant works well, you can stall with pgrens/paks until it comes out, but against a good player its hard because he will be able to push you back a lot until you can field an elefant. 5cp's also take forever and it feels like when I get an elefant out, I already kindof won the game through out-playing my opponent.

I think rushing for a panther might just be a good solution. AT-nades have a chance to deflect and SU-85's are slower when focus sight is on. At least the panther is not dependant on cp's. I haven't tried it yet, but I think you can get out a panther much sooner than you can get an elefant, both fuel wise and also cp-wise. Another benefit will be that you can actually take a more useful doctrine this way.
26 Aug 2013, 08:46 AM

Yep, Panther can do OK if you can use terrain to get in close and circle. The problem is the combined arms army with SUs, Snipers, conscripts with AT grens/guards.

The time's i've beaten it it's been by being defensive and giving up ground, then looking for a chance to break one of the "legs" of the setup (either the SUs or the snipers). It helps to be able to reinforce in the field (halftrack) so he can't eliminate your presence completely.

Panther getting in close on isolated SUs works, sneaking a scout around the back to either kill or chase off the snipers also helps, snipers do take a while to get back in the action so making them run off is a small victory. Artillery works too in threatening the snipers in the back.

But really, the above only works on people who aren't that good.
26 Aug 2013, 09:42 AM

The situation is bad as the SUs are clearly OP. The best solution for me is to play ultra-aggressively and try to crush your enemy early. Make good use of grens on the early game, as they are good against a bunch of things. Then rush to either a P4 or any T4 tank (Panther or Brummbar) and try to finish the game. If your enemy is good enough and makes good use of snipers early game, this tactic might fail though.

Then you will have to face the inevitable SUs. It's very, very tricky. For starters, you will need lot of AT power. I don't think that holding on fuel until an Elephant comes out is a viable strategy - at least not on a game you haven't already won. You need to diversify: Paks, PGrens and Panthers. If it's a team game, try to complement your mate(s) armies. Do not just build a blob of PGrens - they might be the best counter to the SU but this will leave you very easy to counter. Then it all depends on what will your enemy will use to kill your infantry. If he goes Shock Troopers, maintain one or more AI tanks (Ostwind, P4 or Brummbar). If he goes KV-8, you *need* to have a Panther. If he goes snipers, a mortar can help blinding then while you attack.

Hold his advances until you see an opening to attack. From the moment you have a solid AT lineup, either accumulate fuel for an Elephant or spam Panthers and try to overwhelm him.

Notice that all these strategies are quite micro intensive: managing a diverse army while blobs of high-damage units are pounding you is tricky. So in any case you will have to outplay your opponent by a fair margin.
26 Aug 2013, 10:20 AM

Brainless word comes from brainless people, you just make me sick, dick
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

France 8
South Africa 2
Germany 734
Netherlands 2
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W