Login

russian armor

I strongly oppose the Soviet sniper change

PAGES (8)down
25 Apr 2018, 10:57 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Apr 2018, 10:48 AMLago

Which makes it more effective against UKF squads than it is against Soviet ones.

So.... if its balanced against high number squads... would not that directly translate to being op vs low number squads....?

And one balanced against low number squads will underperform a bit vs high number squads...?
25 Apr 2018, 11:28 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Apr 2018, 10:57 AMKatitof

So.... if its balanced against high number squads... would not that directly translate to being op vs low number squads....?

And one balanced against low number squads will underperform a bit vs high number squads...

Pretty much. A sniper kills one model per shot. The more important that model, the more pain it inflicts. The more often it can shoot, the more often it inflicts that pain. By the very nature of the unit the Ostheer sniper will be better against UKF and USF than it is against SOV. Were mirror matches a thing the Ostheer sniper would at its most potent against Ostheer itself.

The Soviet sniper is usually shooting 4-man squads or 5-man Volksgrenadiers. The Ostheer sniper is usually shooting 6-man Soviet squads or 5-man UKF and USF squads. Therefore, an identical sniper is inherently more effective the Soviet faction than it is to the Ostheer faction.

That's why the one-man Soviet sniper shoots more slowly than the Ostheer one. Where the exact balance point is I have no idea but it's below 1:1.
25 Apr 2018, 12:29 PM
Donator 11

Of course the OST sniper is powerful against brits. However brits have the bren carrier and a little later their own sniper to counter snipe so are not quite as helpless as OST. Sov can countersnipe or use an m3 or field 6 men cheaper squads. The 222 When it finally arrives often has to chase sov snipers into base to kill them normally dying before they do. Other options include blobbed g43 grens, lucky mortars or exotic solutions like squads loaded into halftracks.

Of course you all know all this. Personally I hoped ra nerfs and 222 buffs would be enough to balance snipers and was surprised by the proposed change
25 Apr 2018, 13:28 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Apr 2018, 10:27 AMLago

Which is why DPS isn't meaningful. What matters for snipers is how quickly they snipe models and the value of the models they're sniping.

Dude, of course by DPS I meant "how quickly they snipe models" (rate of fire). OBVIOUSLY.
25 Apr 2018, 13:48 PM

Dude, of course by DPS I meant "how quickly they snipe models" (rate of fire). OBVIOUSLY.

The post in question:

"3) Why more durable Conscripts must have lower DPS than less durable Grens, but Soviet Sniper with SAME durability (after proposed change) should STILL HAVE LOWER DPS that its Wehrmacht counterpart?"

The damage output of an infantry squad is affected by cover, range, accuracy, rate of fire, weapon damage and enemy received accuracy.

The damage output of a sniper is affected by how fast it can shoot.

Simplifying them both down to a single DPS value each doesn't make for meaningful comparisons.
25 Apr 2018, 14:40 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Apr 2018, 13:48 PMLago

The post in question:

"3) Why more durable Conscripts must have lower DPS than less durable Grens, but Soviet Sniper with SAME durability (after proposed change) should STILL HAVE LOWER DPS that its Wehrmacht counterpart?"

The damage output of an infantry squad is affected by cover, range, accuracy, rate of fire, weapon damage and enemy received accuracy.

The damage output of a sniper is affected by how fast it can shoot.

Simplifying them both down to a single DPS value each doesn't make for meaningful comparisons.

Makes sense if you compare infantry DPS with sniper's DPS, but I was talking about sniper to sniper comparison. In this case DPS comparison simplifies to rate of fire (and other less significant stuff like ammo clip size, reload speed etc.)

Now if we've finished here - let's get back to the topic.

I still don't understand why should Conscripts have lower DPS and MORE durability than their Wehrmacht counterpart and Sniper have lower DPS and SAME durablilty as its Wehrmacht counterpart.
25 Apr 2018, 14:43 PM

I still don't understand why should Conscripts have lower DPS and MORE durability than their Wehrmacht counterpart and Sniper have lower DPS and SAME durablilty as its Wehrmacht counterpart.

Because the Soviet sniper is generally shooting less numerous, more expensive models than its Ostheer counterpart.
25 Apr 2018, 14:48 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Apr 2018, 14:43 PMLago

Because the Soviet sniper is generally shooting less numerous, more expensive models.

This argument already wasn't significant with introduction of
- USF (4-man team weapon crews, some 4-man squads, somewhat expensive 5-man mainline inf)
- OKW (5-man cheap mainline infantry, possible 6-man long-range doctrinal PFussies)

AND completely died with addition of UKF (4-man team weapon crews, 4-man mainline infantry almost as expensive as Grenadiers).

But that's not even point.
The question is - why Soviet Sniper should have same durability, if it fights against squads with much higher long range DPS?
25 Apr 2018, 14:55 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Apr 2018, 14:43 PMLago

Because the Soviet sniper is generally shooting less numerous, more expensive models than its Ostheer counterpart.

You are literally chasing your own tail at this point.... I don't know if you don't want to see ElSlayers point or are incapable of seeing it.
25 Apr 2018, 14:56 PM

This argument already wasn't significant with introduction of
- USF (4-man team weapon crews, some 4-man squads, somewhat expensive 5-man mainline inf)
- OKW (5-man cheap mainline infantry, possible 6-man long-range doctrinal PFussies)

AND completely died with addition of UKF (4-man team weapon crews, 4-man mainline infantry almost as expensive as Grenadiers).

But that's not even point.
The question is - why Soviet Sniper should have same durability, if it fights against squads with much higher long range DPS?

"High long range DPS" LUL
25 Apr 2018, 15:19 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Apr 2018, 14:56 PMNosliw

"High long range DPS" LUL

What's wrong with that statement?
25 Apr 2018, 15:22 PM

What's wrong with that statement?
Even at point blank range, 2 grenadiers cannot kill a retreating soviet sniper. So saying that 1 grenadier at long range poses a threat is just ludicrous
25 Apr 2018, 15:34 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Apr 2018, 15:22 PMNosliw
Even at point blank range, 2 grenadiers cannot kill a retreating soviet sniper. So saying that 1 grenadier at long range poses a threat is just ludicrous

In comparison to Cons long range DPS it is higher. That was my statement. LUL

I don't have exact stats to check it, but I believe it is higher at any range (assuming that both squads have all models).

It worth mentioning that this depends on target's recieved accuracy. With this in mind I do agree that making statement about squad DPS comparison without context (without defined target) is somewhat wrong.

For example, I know that at some point (maybe it is true even now) Rear Echelons did more DPS against Kubelwagen than Rifleman squad.
25 Apr 2018, 15:47 PM

In comparison to Cons long range DPS it is higher. That was my statement. LUL

I don't have exact stats to check it, but I believe it is higher at any range (assuming that both squads have all models).

You wanna know why grenadiers have higher dps then their con brethern?

4 for 6 man

2 more rifle's AND 2 more bodies to drop. Math behind it translates into roughly 2.5 more dps required to be Equal.

As for dps on long range, it's a joke since grens are moving, mostly at 3 men or less and firing vs a cloaking target.

The only way to kill a sniper is with another sniper, and the 1 man change will not change that.

And if you want to go back to sov sniper utterly destroying ostheer, please make it fire as fast as ost sniper.
25 Apr 2018, 15:48 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Apr 2018, 14:55 PMKatitof
You are literally chasing your own tail at this point.... I don't know if you don't want to see ElSlayers point or are incapable of seeing it.

• Snipers are completely accurate and kill on every shot. This makes them independent of the accuracy, damage and received accuracy mechanisms that usually define the performance of squads against one another.
  • Therefore the effectiveness of a sniper depends on the models it shoots. The fewer models in the enemy army the more of it a sniper kills per shot. The more expensive the reinforcement cost of the models it kills the more manpower bleed it inflicts.
  • This means that any given sniper is inherently more valuable against an enemy composition with fewer, more expensive models in it than it is against a composition with lots of cheap models.
  • If you want a sniper facing lots of cheap models to perform the same as a sniper facing more expensive models then you give the cheap model facing sniper a higher rate of fire.

If you disagree that the Soviet sniper generally faces a higher proportion of expensive models than the Ostheer one then fair enough.
But if not I can't see why anyone'd expect an Ostheer sniper clone in Soviet (what we're essentially getting in the first iteration of the patch) not to have a lower rate of fire.
25 Apr 2018, 15:48 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Apr 2018, 15:22 PMNosliw

ElSlayer is correct on Grenadiers' superior long range DPS. Retreating is a different matter.

Grenadier, especially with LMG, can take down Soviet sniper quite quickly if they are both in weapon range. Experiences from a Soviet sniper user.
25 Apr 2018, 15:50 PM

Grenadier, especially with LMG, can take down Soviet sniper quite quickly if they are both in weapon range. Experiences from a Soviet sniper user.

Lmg doesn't fire on the move. Competent sniper users move theirs after every shot.
Hence why g43's are the way to go.

Source: been on both sides, unlike most people.
25 Apr 2018, 15:50 PM

Grenadier, especially with LMG, can take down Soviet sniper quite quickly IF THE SOVIET PLAYER IS ASLEEP AND THEREFORE CANNOT PUSH THE T KEY ON HIS KEYBOARD IN TIME, AND ALSO ASSUMING THAT HE DOESN'T SOFT RUN BACKWARDS AFTER EVERY SHOT, WHICH HE CAN SAFELY MAKE FROM OUTSIDE THE GRENADIER'S RANGE... if they are both in weapon range. Experiences from a Soviet sniper user.

Fixed that for you.

There is a reason why good soviet players like Rutra never lose their snipers to anything other than Panzer Werfers or Stuka - it's just so easy to keep them alive against both charging and even flanking grenadiers.
25 Apr 2018, 15:52 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Apr 2018, 15:47 PMzarok47

You wanna know why grenadiers have higher dps then their con brethern?

4 for 6 man

2 more rifle's AND 2 more bodies to drop. Math behind it translates into roughly 2.5 more dps required to be Equal.

As for dps on long range, it's a joke since grens are moving, mostly at 3 men or less and firing vs a cloaking target.

The only way to kill a sniper is with another sniper, and the 1 man change will not change that.

And if you want to go back to sov sniper utterly destroying ostheer, please make it fire as fast as ost sniper.

A OST player who try to kill Soviet sniper with his sniper, in most case, doesn't know how to play this game correctly.

You just want to drag us to the old COH1 sniper warfare by changing Soviet sniper to 1 man.
25 Apr 2018, 15:54 PM

A OST player who try to kill Soviet sniper with his sniper, in most case, doesn't know how to play this game correctly.

You just want to drag us to the old COH1 sniper warfare by changing Soviet sniper to 1 man.

God forbid we bring back the old sniper system, where the player who microes his sniper better wins the sniper war. You're right, I much prefer the unbalanced CoH2 sniper system, where the Soviet sniper is so good that axis players don't even bother making a counter sniper :snfPeter:
PAGES (8)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS