Login

russian armor

Need advice on facing OKW in 1v1s.

24 Feb 2018, 16:02 PM

I was doing okay for a while. Then I wasn't.

I usually go with a conscript opening. Recently, I capture with the Combat Engineers then retreat them and get T2 after the third conscript. Then I get another conscript or MG or mortar.

My recent matches, this opening gets blunted fast. I try to find favorable engagements with the conscripts but I'm not so sure about this approach anymore.

I mostly play with the Combined Arms Tactics. I like the PPsh on the conscripts.

I would like advice on what build orders are best against OKW. Thanks in advance.
24 Feb 2018, 16:24 PM

Personally I've been going Con X 3 -> Second Engineer Build -> Maxim.

If for some reason I had to retreat my original engineer I'll build with that but often it's more efficient to just keep capping depending on the map. That and I like a 2nd engineer early to have more flexibility to lay mines. I'm always leery about early Mortar against OKW (unless they go early MG34) since a lot of OKW will try to go Volks heavy and its often more beneficial to get a Maxim (or 2) to control the Volks horde. Early on make sure your Conscripts are near each other to support and remember to use Oorah and Sandbags to get the most beneficial engagements.

If you like PPSH try using Advanced Warfare - it's become one of my go-tos since T34/85 let you slug it out with OKW armor a lot easier and the Radio Intercept is a god send to let you prepare for Flak HT or Luches (whose shock factor is often one of the hardest things about OKW in my experience).

Hope that helps - let me know if you have any other questions.
25 Feb 2018, 03:25 AM

I’ve used it before Advance Warfare. The issue I have with it is that the Radio Intercept messages for OKW have ostheer voicelines and others none at all.

I like Combined Arms because I have access to the soft at support through the Guards. And a lethal anti-infantry loiter planes.

I’ll try AW again and see.

So I revise my initial build order to 3x Conscripts, 1 Combat Engineer and 2 MGs.
27 Feb 2018, 20:02 PM

I am currently using Soviet Shock Army, NKVD Rifle Disruption and Armored Assault. All 3 commanders have the Sturmovik loiter. Shock Army mainly is for PPSH and Howitzer. NKVD is for Rapid Conscription in case I lose cons in the early game and Fear Prop for countering volk blobs when I don't have enough muni or don't want to use the loiter. Armored Assault is for Radio Intercept, Crew repair and an IS-2 if I need it.

I open with 4 Cons to grab as much as I can early and keeping the cons in groups of 2 to focus down spios. If my engineer is still on the field by the time I get 60 muni I get a flame thrower if not I build T2. I make a maxim if I need it but usually don't. I build a muni cache if I can afford it while I wait for fuel for T3. If I have not gone armored assault I usually pump out a second engineer for repairs and minesweeping.

By this time the OKW player will usually have a P3 or flack truck. This is when I pump out 2 SU-76 and now we settle into the mid game. I barrage with the SU-76 every MG and static emplacement I can with the goal of getting vet 2 on both SU-76 as this will mean they can easily handle a P4 if supported by infantry and can make a panther think twice before pushing.

If after a large scale OKW retreat I find myself with 180 muni and 2 full hp SU-76, I push up to any forward OKW building with at least one con squad for support and blast away at it with the barrage. I use the Loiter if enough infantry shows up to warrant it. Sometimes I will even go 3 SU-76 because at medium range 3 SU-76 can take out an OKW building with a full barrage each.

The whole point of this is to maximize your capping ability to frustrate your opponents and keep them off balance. Always hit cutoffs and move your SU-76s all over the map as they are needed to clear out MGs and bunkers.
1 Mar 2018, 09:34 AM

If you watch Talisman or VonIvan play with the 4 cons opening you have to understand that your main spearhead isn't the cons themselves but the combat engineer with the flamethrower.

Your engineer is your main damage tool in the early game, and with merge its essentially indestructible. Always pair your engineer with a full cons squad and use that to play offensively, while the rest of your cons take up cover and make it difficult for the OKW to move. I feel like this is the most important point that alot of players miss with the 4 cons opening, and thats also why playing against volks (after stgs) feels so frustrating.

Afterwards the standard build is to get your t70 ASAP, as without it you will find it very difficult to engage vetted volks with STGs with your cons. Your t70 should be 7 minutes, or if you're losing pretty hard, 10-11 minutes. Afterwards go for your standard T35 and transition, getting what you need depending on what the opponent player gets.

Just remember, early game the flamethrower is your key unit. Mid game its your T70 thats key. AFterwards, lean on your T35's to break volk blobs or to push them out and then send in your cons. If you ever have low manpower, its because you've been engaging too much with cons and not with your damage tools. Soviets are extremely powerful if you synergize your units properly, but alone their units are generally weaker. Volks will beat cons at all ranges with STGs, so just keep that in mind.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★