Login

russian armor

New Relic Lead Gameplay Designer on aoe 4/coh 3

19 Feb 2018, 23:51 PM

Not trolling, and I think interesting post for SturmTigerCobra.
In October 2016 Relic hire from defunct UFG Lead Gameplay Designer veteran Chris Stimson to work on coh team.

https://ca.linkedin.com/in/chris-stimson
http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,259718/
He was Lead Gameplay on bully 3, max payne 3, sleeping dogs and marvel battlegrounds and famous for creating unique and interesting gameplay features.

Maybe is now relic put competent gameplay lead that may implent many new interesting gameplay unique ideas to future COH games?
20 Feb 2018, 00:45 AM
Senior Editor Badge

More Cobras for us. :P

Thanks for the info.
20 Feb 2018, 05:03 AM
Donator 11

" I love finding that the elegantly simple system design that not only maximizes player experience relative to dev. cost, but is also robust enough to withstand the chaos an open world will throw at it. "
-snip-

"working as a Designer/Scripter for Character Animation and AI, often paired with programmers, animators and technical artists. I've also served in a production role, creating and carrying out a production plan for two smaller prototype projects at United Front.

I tend to be pretty quick at learning new development tools. I'm self taught in a variety of in-house animation state machines (Dr.V at Rockstar Games and Freeman at United Front Games) and I have experience scripting in C# and developing in Unity."

If hes a Senior Game Designer I'm not sure if that takes the same role as "lead game designer" but also might mean hes closer to the top of the list.
20 Feb 2018, 05:29 AM
Patrion 310

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Feb 2018, 23:51 PMValeran
Not trolling, and I think interesting post for SturmTigerCobra.
In October 2016 Relic hire from defunct UFG Lead Gameplay Designer veteran Chris Stimson to work on coh team.

Thanks for the info Valeran. Yeah looks like he is on the CoH team.

FYI Relic have been on the hunt for a new RTS game director for months now;
https://boards.greenhouse.io/relic/jobs/805315
As our Game Director you will…
Play a key role in steering the strategic creative decisions of our franchise
Ensure the creative vision of the game is fed into every aspect of gameplay, art, story, design, and cinematics
Drive the team around creative goals
Lead kickoffs that allow for new content ideas
Create content briefs and outlines to guide art and content creation
Team up with stakeholders to ensure that the game’s creative vision is reflected both in the game & outside of it
Drive process improvement and practices that increase quality and accuracy
We’re looking for someone who has…
10+ years of experience shipping AAA titles in design roles
Shipped multiple titles in a lead role with direction over design
Previous experience as a Game Director or Creative Director
Proven success from previously released titles
An exceptional ability to communicate and pitch ideas
An ability to inspire teams
The skills to lead a team on gameplay, design, story, art, and content development
Experience developing RTS games

Also, Relic are recruiting new senior programmers for "exciting unannounced title" (most likely CoH related);
https://boards.greenhouse.io/relic/jobs/237032
If so, our Senior Programmer openings on an exciting unannounced title might be the perfect fit for you!
*SNIP*
As our Senior Programmer, here's what you might be doing...
Maintain and develop features for our game and the tools that go with it
Contribute ideas on all aspects of game production and development
Collaborate with team members of various disciplines to review proposed features and develop those features from definition to testing
Create software systems that are intrinsically scalable and cross platform
Roll up your sleeves and work to regularly debug, profile and optimize code
We're looking for someone who has...
8+ years’ experience in games or has shipped multiple AAA or console titles
A post-secondary education (degree) in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field
Strong knowledge of C++
Knowledge of C#, Java, Action Script 3, and Lua
A love for games: You’re a gamer with a passion for creating the best games for our players
A down to earth attitude: You strive to be the best in your field and you welcome feedback, change, and real talk!
Passion to evolve and grow: You want to hone your craft to create a legacy while contributing to Relic’s roadmap to the future

Former Relic studio head joins Sega & CoH3
https://www.coh2.org/topic/67805/former-relic-studio-head-joins-sega-coh3
'Company of Heroes': Relic Entertainment "open" to a console version - MAY 2012
http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/news/a382937/company-of-heroes-relic-entertainment-open-to-a-console-version/
Relic Entertainment is "open" to the idea of Company of Heroes on a console.

General manager Alex Peters said if the studio can find a way to bring the series outside of PC it will "do it".

"RTSs (real-time strategy) have struggled to find their place on console. If we can figure out, and the timing's right, how to deliver a great experience - and I think it would be a different experience - we'll do it," he told Digital Spy.

"But, again, it has to be that we'll feel confident that we deliver that kind of experience people expect from Relic."

Announced earlier this month, Company of Heroes 2 is the sequel to one of the most critically-acclaimed strategy titles of all time.

Alex Peters Game Credits;
http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,5579/
With Bullfrog RTS studio, he was the Lead Programmer behind Dungeon Keeper 2;
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dungeon-keeper-2

IMHO, we are going to see some new CoH content (most likely modding update) or perhaps even a new CoH spin-off game/console port before CoH3.
With most of the CoH team working on AoE4 it would be bad timing to put the DoW3 team on CoH3 don't you think?. They need to reshuffle the DoW team to work on CoH/AoE historic games which they did not plan for.
20 Feb 2018, 13:36 PM
Senior Mapmaker Badge

Although I have no proof of what I'm going to say, it's just speculation... IMO if they've done well in British Forces, maybe they're doing another faction now (15 or 18 new units, commanders,their voices and a few sets of skins) what takes 6 months, without background music or maps, only 15/18 new units and I suppose they were good sales with the British, maybe and only maybe, we have this summer another faction and so they can delay AOE4 to next year 2019 and COH3 to 2020. I find it strange that we have had a patch and maps improvements and commuting only to keep the base player two years until 2020.
20 Feb 2018, 13:47 PM

Thanks for the info Valeran. Yeah looks like he is on the CoH team.

FYI Relic have been on the hunt for a new RTS game director for months now;
https://boards.greenhouse.io/relic/jobs/805315

Also, Relic are recruiting new senior programmers for "exciting unannounced title" (most likely CoH related);

Former Relic studio head joins Sega & CoH3
https://www.coh2.org/topic/67805/former-relic-studio-head-joins-sega-coh3

IMHO, we are going to see some new CoH content (most likely modding update) or perhaps even a new CoH spin-off game/console port before CoH3.
With most of the CoH team working on AoE4 it would be bad timing to put the DoW3 team on CoH3 don't you think?. They need to reshuffle the DoW team to work on CoH/AoE historic games which they did not plan for.

To be honest, the only thing I wanna see for CoH is being able to upload small mods like tuning packs and skins as well as a native language option for the Axis Armies, either as an in-game option or a mod, like in the Red Orchestra series, apart from that maybe some balance here and there, like allowing the British trenches to garrison MGs for example, small stuff.

But in all honesty I wouldn't mind a new expansion set in like, Italy or the Eastern Front. Eastern Front mod is already a very well made unofficial community expansion to the game which as I've said before would like to see made official, those boys deserve it for all of their hard work they put into the mod, as well as love.
20 Feb 2018, 14:12 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Feb 2018, 13:36 PMcapiqua
Although I have no proof of what I'm going to say, it's just speculation... IMO if they've done well in British Forces, maybe they're doing another faction now (15 or 18 new units, commanders,their voices and a few sets of skins) what takes 6 months, without background music or maps, only 15/18 new units and I suppose they were good sales with the British, maybe and only maybe, we have this summer another faction and so they can delay AOE4 to next year 2019 and COH3 to 2020. I find it strange that we have had a patch and maps improvements and commuting only to keep the base player two years until 2020.

Either a new faction or single player pack akin to Ardennes Assult could be likely. Relic's 5 year plan and even the updated plan however, never called for a Single Player expansion thus AA was kind of out of the blue outside of the new faction. I feel like they dropped hints of a British themed one but I cant recall where.
20 Feb 2018, 14:30 PM

Company per axis + third fraction per axis Afrika Korps
20 Feb 2018, 14:33 PM
Senior Referee Badge

Just work on coh3, should be enough work on it's own ^^
20 Feb 2018, 18:57 PM
Patrion 310

Just work on coh3, should be enough work on its own ^^

I agree, but we have to consider the timing of events over the past 3 years and Creative Assembly building a new RTS team for the console 2014-2017. Halo Wars 2 is announced in mid-2015 and then "new CoH2 roadmap" is delayed almost a year in 2016 while being promised in early 2016;
http://www.companyofheroes.com/blog/2016/12/09/coh2-the-road-ahead
New Content (UGC)
Although we plan to continue releasing new in-game content in future updates, we will now be leveraging UGC such as vehicle skins and maps to help offer new gameplay experiences to the community. We hope that advances to COH2’s modding tools will also take place in the coming months, allowing additional forms of content to be created by the community as well - however this is still to be confirmed.

The CoH roadmap has not been updated since 2016. Now it's just radio silence and we don't get newsworthy info beyond the community balance patches.

Relic was planning to grow with AoE4 (early production starting in 2015) and DoW3 post-launch.
CoH3 was planned to be after AoE4..
On a smaller budget, I think they have something planned before CoH3.
If they want to expand the franchise before CoH3 that most likely means console port, mobile game or going FTP with the CoH2 base game (or bring back COH Online).

Relic Has the Scale and Support From Sega To Think About a Console Return
Interview with Relic studio head/GM, Justin Dowdeswell - April 12, 2017
https://www.dualshockers.com/relic-scale-and-support-from-sega-to-think-about-console-return/
As you may know, Relic has dabbed in console development before, for example, with Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine. But its been some time for the developer since it dabbled beyond the PC space, and according to Dowdeswell Relic is thinking about how can it craft an experience that makes sense on consoles.

Dowdeswell continues:

“Our ambition is to be a leading studio in this genre, and part of that will mean that we are branching out in the future. Would [console] fit with our existing franchises? I don’t know, referring to the gameplay side of it, but at the very high level our goal of reaching as many gamers as possible, allowing them to have as much fun as possible, we have to be thinking about other platforms.”

Dowdeswell goes on to say that the team not only has the scale within to expand to consoles but that it also has the support from Sega. But don’t just take my word on it, you can check out the quote for yourself below:

“We have the scale within Relic and we have the support from Sega to be thinking [expanding to consoles] about that.”

Company of Heroes dev reckons it's solved the RTS on console problem
But it's keeping its "plausible solution" secret - for now. - 02/06/2014

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-06-02-company-of-heroes-dev-reckons-its-solved-the-rts-on-console-problem
"There was always a talk of strategy games on console," Duffy said. "We were just like, 'oh my God, how do you do that?' We think we came up with a plausible solution, which I'm not going to talk about.

"There's some stuff that's been back burnered for years because we wanted to see how technology, the market, control and touch emerged. Hopefully we will be positioned to adapt to some of that."
*SNIP*
"The one thing we would love is to get the Relic experience on a console," Duffy enthused. "They can do great graphics and great sound. The things I love about Company of Heroes on the presentation side would translate, no problem. But the tactical squad control and cover, those would be harder to mechanically translate to a control pad.
"It's exciting. We've got an idea."
Talk of RTS on console came up as part of a discussion about the RTS genre in general, and whether there was still a potential for innovation when the core mechanics of RTS have remained the same for years.

"I think so," Duffy countered. It's just that the typical RTS audience have an... interesting relationship with change.

"You have a relatively, traditionally conservative audience of players who play strategy games," Duffy said.

"So if you want to innovate you have to do it with a plan and in steps. You have to introduce them bit by bit to something you want to ultimately get to. There's still lots of room to innovate. You just have to ease your community into it. And ease your developers. We're kind of old school ourselves."
21 Feb 2018, 00:26 AM

You have to introduce them bit by bit to something you want to ultimately get to.

:snfQuinn::guyokay:
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 63
Germany 19
unknown 17

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %