Login

russian armor

Relic close to shutting down - not profitable

• This thread is locked
PAGES (10)down
16 Jan 2018, 21:58 PM

That is not a good figure to gauge how profitable CoH2 is. It doesn't say how many of them buy anything, nor how interested they are in new DLC/Expansions/CoH3. Since Relic isn't making new DLC/Expansions for Coh2, we can assume it isn't profitable/worthwhile to make them. CoH2 base game has been on deep sale/bundles/even free, the base game is peanuts as far as generating additional revenue is concerned. Did Sega even get the pre-order money from Coh2, because I cannot find whether they won the lawsuit?

If AoE4 is a windows store exclusive (looks like the case), Relic is in a big trouble. Windows Store is a joke for PC exclusives, it is going to sell worse than DoW3.

It is likely COH2 made money since it sold well.

Most developers don't just endlessly churn out DLC / expansions, They want to make new games.
16 Jan 2018, 22:02 PM
Donator 11

If AoE4 is a windows store exclusive (looks like the case), Relic is in a big trouble. Windows Store is a joke for PC exclusives, it is going to sell worse than DoW3.

Yes, but that is well known, so one should assume that Microsoft is paying a lot to have it Windows Store exclusive!
16 Jan 2018, 22:07 PM

If AoE4 is a windows store exclusive (looks like the case)

let me guess.. AoE4 will also get locked behind win10 + DX12? this would be the ultimate fail :clap:
16 Jan 2018, 22:16 PM

16 Jan 2018, 23:10 PM
Benefactor 115

it is just a random post on glassdoor, not sure if its of much value.

DoW3 bombed hard but I would hate for them to go under.
16 Jan 2018, 23:24 PM
17 Jan 2018, 00:04 AM

Given that you’re a current employee, I have a favor to ask of you – keep the feedback coming! Speak up at our AMAs, we can go grab a quick coffee, or you can just send me an email. I always want to hear your thoughts, not only about the good things, but also where we can improve and if I’ve let you down. Especially if I’ve let you down.

This made me laugh.
17 Jan 2018, 00:15 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

I really doubt they would straight up shut down Relic if AoE4 fails. Lelic has a ton of talent, especially with art, sound, and animation. I'd expect them to gut management and turn the company to making other projects, and abandon RTS.
17 Jan 2018, 01:06 AM

Hi there, Darren here from the video you linked.

Can you please remove me from this post or change the wording surrounding it? You've made it out like I've officially confirmed something because I was an employee of Creative Assembly.

What I said in my video at the two time stamps you linked is all completely speculative. Quote one:

"And I really feel like if Relic don't do it right Relic are gone because their last game was such a colossal failure, and their game before that wasn't a failure... I don't know, but I don't think... I wasn't around to check the steamspy stats at the time but I know from playing it was not as good as COH1 and people were vocal about the DLC... so I dunno, I really dunno..."

Here I've mentioned that I relied on steamspy stats to discern that DOW3 was a failure commercially. I don't know how SEGA view it internally. I don't know the budget for the game. I worked as a video editor on a marketing team within the Total War team, in a different continent.

Quote two:
"I honestly feel like it's on them not to [muck it up] otherwise as a studio they will close down, I really do believe that. Sega don't close that many studios but they have been known to and I feel like if they don't really make something good with this one, they're going to be screwed."

Hopefully I don't need to explain that this is just speculation. I predict industry news for many studios, based on articles, steamspy information and playerbases etc. I do not, nor have I received insider information about anything going on at Relic. So I have not "confirmed" anything. I just also share the feeling that after a few bad games, a studio may close down.

Please can OP update their post to reflect this, as I may get unwanted legal attention coming my way, and as a very small youtuber losing money each month, I simply cannot afford it.

Thanks,

Darren

17 Jan 2018, 02:55 AM
Donator 11

"We can go grab a quick coffee"
17 Jan 2018, 06:11 AM

Can you please remove me from this post or change the wording surrounding it? You've made it out like I've officially confirmed something because I was an employee of Creative Assembly.

This was my point about the whole glassdoor thing. I have never worked someplace where everyone was happy. Someone is always upset about "how things run". So you cant put much stock in it. Its fun to speculate though :hyper:

Amis photo has me wondering. Has Relic ever tried to monetize the players? It would be tricky but I can see 1000's of VonIvan t-shirts being sold. LuvNest gas mask logo only on black T? These guys are literal stars and Relic could be pushing them in some way and making a profit at the same time. Growing the hype and fan base as opposed to pissing everyone off with DLC commanders etc. Then they get in bed with mice and keyboard manufacturers?

Also, I need to dig in deeper to the COH2 history. Amis photos made it look like Relic had their shit in order when the visit occurred. There were banners and PCs so the guys could play, etc. As opposed to so many of the Relic events I have seen recently where it looks like no one even bothered to get ready or gave two shits. What was 1st for me? War Paint where Stormless interviewed DevM and Jesulin with like a headset for a mic and they passed it back and forth. I remember going.."Really, I have about 24 mics, 4 mixers, 3 compressors, etc at my house right now. WTF?"

So was relic always half-assed and unprepared or is that a recent thing?
17 Jan 2018, 08:36 AM

Just FYI;

great community manager.. just like coh2's ones Kappa
17 Jan 2018, 09:04 AM

I doubt COH3 is doomed even if AoE4 bombs. A few likely directions this could go

Scenario 1- Sega already owns the COH IP and fires Relic, they put someone else like Creative Assembly on making a new CoH eventually.
Scenario 2- Relic owns the rights to COH, Sega dumps them
A) gets picked up by someone else (like Paradox or 2k) and develops COH3
B) is blackedballed by publishers, downsizes to make COH3 as a shitty indie dev
C) Relic completely folds, sells the COH IP to the highest bidder (Sega, Paradox, 2K)

Preferably someone like CA or Eugen develops COH3. If Relic goes to another publisher there is a small chance they make a good game. If we get a indie Relic COH3 the series dies a horrible death. Bottom line if AoE4 is a dumpster fire we aren't getting a Relic+Sega COH3.
17 Jan 2018, 09:31 AM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

Photo in post #44 invised
17 Jan 2018, 09:47 AM
Senior Caster Badge

Too bad Sega bought Relic, righty? I am pretty sure that Microsoft is gonna sit on relics asses to ensure AoE4 becomes a megahit like AoE 2.
17 Jan 2018, 10:46 AM

A) gets picked up by someone else (like Paradox or 2k) and develops COH3

paradox would be an awesome developer, they make the best games and are really really committed to their communities.
17 Jan 2018, 10:54 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Jan 2018, 21:58 PMwuff

It is likely COH2 made money since it sold well.

Most developers don't just endlessly churn out DLC / expansions, They want to make new games.

True dat. I don't see how coh2 is not profitable while games such as sniper elite keep releasing new titles every couple of years .
Coh2 sold a lot of copies, far more than relic or sega expected and it is relic's most sold game ever.
but it's an arcade game so they can only release so much DLC to keep it generating cash .
If they can hire some company to do a market study for them , and act on it they would be so much better off. Imagine if they make another ESL season or make the vanilla factions free to play or something .
17 Jan 2018, 11:30 AM

When a letter came to the mail about the "Future of the Company of Heroes", it mentioned a free DLC. Who knows what it was about?
17 Jan 2018, 11:39 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Jan 2018, 10:46 AMrush

paradox would be an awesome developer, they make the best games and are really really committed to their communities.

... and they release patches which require overpriced dlcs. A commander would probably cost 15 bucks.
PAGES (10)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS