Login

russian armor

COH2 - General's mode

12 Jan 2018, 10:58 AM
Senior Editor Badge

Lengthy intro:

So, the other day I was playing a 4v4 comp-stomp custom game with two friends. My PC - erm - potato had some issues that day, but ended up hosting the game including the five AIs.

Quickly, the game became less and less responsive for me although for the other two it seemed ok. We were on TS, so after checking we found that my game was running about 15% slower than for the other two. Surprisingly, it didn't crash or desync. The other two were telling me that we won at one point when I still was about like 7 minutes away from that victory (so I could observe the events that I before only heard via TS).

What was most interesting is that my commands seem to have been registered instantly when I clicked. Like, when I would issue a "move" command, the other two were telling me that my unit indeed started to move. I myself, however, could see that movement only a few minutes later. So, it wasn't really input lag, but actually more an output lag :P

This caused some issues for abilities (e.g. a barrage ability would become available again only in my UI after I saw the barrage (i.e. a couple of minutes late) and the cooldown wore off locally). But otherwise it was kind of ok: With the direction of my teammates I managed to move my Jagdtiger around and get some shots off.

So, while the lag was annoying, it gave me kind of a cool "General in a HQ" feeling, where you give orders but don't see directly how they pan out. New gamemode inc?

Maybe something along the lines of:

In teamgames, all resources go into a pool and then are distributed to the individual players. The players only see within the sight range of their own troops (maybe with the exception of recon abilities).

The teams have one additional player which can switch between
  • helping one of his teammates micro his units (while also only see what this players units do) and
  • having a complete view of the battlefield (only subject to FOW of the whole team) while also being able to adjust the resource allocation between teammates but not being able to micro any units.

Switching between helping different players and/or to the second mode should take a few seconds. Could be a via an animation of a jeep with an office transitioning between player bases or driving off map...

Optionally, it could be made so that pings by the players can be seen only by the player in overview mode, while his pings can be seen by the whole team.

Could something like that potentially be interesting?
12 Jan 2018, 17:18 PM

There is already TrueSight in place so I fail to see how... additional TrueSight would work, unless of course I'm missing something or I'm failing to understand you.

And yes if I recall correctly there was a game set in Napoleonic times where you were the general and sat in your little tent way at the back giving orders to runners, which then ran to a formation to give them their orders.

This of course gave out "command lag" as we might say it, but it was pretty realistic in terms of immersion mechanics.

Anyhow, yeah something like in StarCraft 2 where you can see your teammates' camera and stuff like that would be a nice addition here as well or having shared control over units, I agree.
13 Jan 2018, 02:15 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

A good idea for an interesting game-mode. This could maybe be achieved through the tactical-map feature. One player as a general that can build units and only see through that map while the other players command the units and report back to the general for what is needed.

I'm not exactly sure how the command lag could work. Maybe instead of using TS or in-game chat, the lieutenants have to use a unit/ability to communicate with the general.
15 Jan 2018, 08:51 AM
Senior Editor Badge

There is already TrueSight in place so I fail to see how... additional TrueSight would work, unless of course I'm missing something or I'm failing to understand you.

Well, in teamgames FOW currently works so that you can see anything that you and your teammates can see. For this I would change it so that each player can see only what his own units can see, and not what the units of your teammates can see.

That is, unless you are in the "commander's mode".

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Jan 2018, 02:15 AMLugie

I'm not exactly sure how the command lag could work. Maybe instead of using TS or in-game chat, the lieutenants have to use a unit/ability to communicate with the general.

Ah, I wouldn't say the command lag is relevant, and actually could be kind of annoying in game. You would automatically get a "lag", because the commander would have to communicate his ideas first, and the other players would have to implement them then.

The idea is more about having one person that coordinates the team, makes strategic decisions and distributes resources.

15 Jan 2018, 13:10 PM

Well, in teamgames FOW currently works so that you can see anything that you and your teammates can see. For this I would change it so that each player can see only what his own units can see, and not what the units of your teammates can see.

That is, unless you are in the "commander's mode".

Ah, I wouldn't say the command lag is relevant, and actually could be kind of annoying in game. You would automatically get a "lag", because the commander would have to communicate his ideas first, and the other players would have to implement them then.

The idea is more about having one person that coordinates the team, makes strategic decisions and distributes resources.

Ohhhhh, what YOUR units can only see... So it's a misunderstanding on my part then, sorry.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★