[USF] Thompson paratroopers

Should para thompsons come back ?
Option Distribution Votes
43%
57%
Total votes: 14
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
2 Jan 2018, 20:59 PM

Somebody knows why smg paratrooper has been removed ? It could have been the best complementary unit for new pathfinders.
It also gave the airborne a lot of versatility, which was the main idea behind usf, and i can't really see why it needed to be cut off for fancy boosted zook, in a faction that gets 2 long range upgrades for mainline and a recon/long range unit with long range upgrades...

What do you think ? Do you miss old thompson para ? Should recon para have thompsons as possible cqb upgrade ?
2 Jan 2018, 21:23 PM

As much as I liked the, it's one of those "cheesy one-click wipes" things that people don't like the in the game, one of the issues with Paratroopers was that they lacked a niche that Riflemen with BARs couldn't do already, the Pimped Bazookas gives them something unique to them that I've found very fun to use.
2 Jan 2018, 21:24 PM

paras have the smg. support paras do not.
2 Jan 2018, 21:33 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Jan 2018, 21:24 PMVipper
paras have the smg. support paras do not.

And that's the issue...
They had it.
2 Jan 2018, 21:44 PM

And that's the issue...
They had it.

You are not very clear on what company you are referring. Recon support company that no longer has smg paras does not have Pathfinders. They have I&R pathfinders.

Both Pathfinders and Paras has been revised.
2 Jan 2018, 21:47 PM

And that's the issue...
They had it.

Didn't they drop in with random gear before?
2 Jan 2018, 22:13 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Jan 2018, 21:44 PMVipper

You are not very clear on what company you are referring. Recon support company that no longer has smg paras does not have Pathfinders. They have I&R pathfinders.

Both Pathfinders and Paras has been revised.

Well now you know..
2 Jan 2018, 22:19 PM

Somebody knows why smg paratrooper has been removed ? It could have been the best complementary unit for new pathfinders.
It also gave the airborne a lot of versatility, which was the main idea behind usf, and i can't really see why it needed to be cut off for fancy boosted zook, in a faction that gets 2 long range upgrades for mainline and a recon/long range unit with long range upgrades...

What do you think ? Do you miss old thompson para ? Should recon para have thompsons as possible cqb upgrade ?

Paras from airborne are still the same. Recon paras never had access to Thompsons. Of course you'd know... if you had played USF.
2 Jan 2018, 22:21 PM
Patrion 14

And that's the issue...
They had it.

The current implementation by far superior to what it used to be. It used to be that you got 2 paras with a random chance (you didn't have a choice of weapon). The chance to get a thompson squad was 25%, a lmg squad 25% and a zook squad 50%.

The two anti infantry weapon equipments were inferior versions of the normal paras. You only got 1 lmg instead of 2 or 3 thompsons instead of 4.

I don't see a problem with losing the ability to get thompsons as a trade-off to be able to actually have a choice instead of praying to RNGuses that he does not grant me 2 zook squads. The zook squads are also better than they used to be.
2 Jan 2018, 22:22 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Paras from airborne are still the same. Recon paras never had access to Thompsons. Of course you'd know... if you had played USF.

Old recon paras did have a chance for Thompsons however, it was not the fact that their equipment was randomized it was the fact that the ability was so damn expensive.
2 Jan 2018, 22:29 PM

Old recon paras did have a chance for Thompsons however, it was not the fact that their equipment was randomized it was the fact that the ability was so damn expensive.

And that's a whole mess, a doctrine with a long range fighting unit get a specialized long range upgrade for para and no chance to specialize any elite on cqb.
2 Jan 2018, 22:34 PM

That's funny cause I never got any with Thompsons. However I used that ability only about 2-5 times and made sure not to use it ever again.
2 Jan 2018, 22:37 PM

The current implementation by far superior to what it used to be. It used to be that you got 2 paras with a random chance (you didn't have a choice of weapon). The chance to get a thompson squad was 25%, a lmg squad 25% and a zook squad 50%.

I do not doubt it indeed my friend, it's not about being better as implementation regarding upgrades, but more about being unable to specialize (for no apparent reason) your elite in cqb role.

The two anti infantry weapon equipments were inferior versions of the normal paras. You only got 1 lmg instead of 2 or 3 thompsons instead of 4.

I also remember upgrading such 3 smg para with 2 bar :D
But yes, like i said, it's about denying options.

The only reason i can see now is...Airborne company needing to keep something more to not be useless.
2 Jan 2018, 23:15 PM

I will have to disagree. The weapons where the exactly the same and come for no MU. They had less of them but I consider that an advantage since they could pick up a bazooka or bar or buy the missing lmg.

They where extremely expensive thou and come too late making the ability meh.
3 Jan 2018, 00:51 AM
Patrion 14

I do not doubt it indeed my friend, it's not about being better as implementation regarding upgrades, but more about being unable to specialize (for no apparent reason) your elite in cqb role.

I also remember upgrading such 3 smg para with 2 bar :D
But yes, like i said, it's about denying options.

The only reason i can see now is...Airborne company needing to keep something more to not be useless.

I see where you're coming from. I can't think of a good reason to not have them as an upgrade other than making them different from normal paras, which in itself could be enough of a reason. :)

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Jan 2018, 23:15 PMVipper

I will have to disagree. The weapons where the exactly the same and come for no MU. They had less of them but I consider that an advantage since they could pick up a bazooka or bar or buy the missing lmg.

They where extremely expensive thou and come too late making the ability meh.

I know. I probably spent more time with Recon than anyone else when it was still a terrible commander, but it doesn't change the fact that the weapons they had (stock) were inferior. Yes, the thompson squad was able to invest another 120 ammo (2 bars) to make them probably the most devastating close range unit (if you used Tactical Movement) ;)

The lmg squad was not able to buy another lmg, only to pick up one bar (only one weapon slot).
3 Jan 2018, 01:08 AM

I see where you're coming from. I can't think of a good reason to not have them as an upgrade other than making them different from normal paras, which in itself could be enough of a reason. :)

It would achieve nothing at all unfortunately, we all know airborne quickly fell off the meta and is the next usf doctrine to need a rework anyway to be of any use.
(As a player that used a lot airborne, the only thing that will make those viable is a replacement for team weapons paradrop).

Like i said, para with thompson would perfectly fit a doctrine providing a sniper rifle combat squad.

3 Jan 2018, 02:53 AM

That's funny cause I never got any with Thompsons. However I used that ability only about 2-5 times and made sure not to use it ever again.

Sorry but you're wrong on this one. I used the ability a bunch of times. It could drop with Thompsons, 1919's or bazookas, great for troll games.
3 Jan 2018, 03:17 AM

The real question here is... do Airborne Paratroopers get "Elite" Bazookas if they get them from the weapon racks?
3 Jan 2018, 07:58 AM

The real question here is... do Airborne Paratroopers get "Elite" Bazookas if they get them from the weapon racks?

Indeed it is. Someone pls test this :-)

And: If you want Thompsons go use rangers or Airborne. New Recon commander is op as it is with 660 manpower swapping for 350 and 80 muni or something :lolol:
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★