Login

russian armor

Is there a reason to build a battlegroup as OKW right now?

28 Dec 2017, 00:15 AM

Is there any viable strategy where you would preffer a battlegroup over mechanized?
Before the patch I used to build it from time to time if I was denied fuel in the early game and to unlock upgrades and MG34. But right now I find myself only building it when backteching from T4 due to a whole bunch of problems it has:

1. Incendiary grenade and shrecks now unlock when the first truck is on the field, so fast teching is less of a priority now.
2. It delays your teching by quite a bit
3. It got hit by a nerf to forward retreat points for all factions, so you can't even buy the thing since it is locked behind mechanized or panzer HQ and those are long ways ahead since you've spent fuel building the battlegroup.
4. Units are very lackluster. IR halftrack has almost no use this early on. Flack halftrack has paper armor and low health and is countered by almost any AT. ISG got a buff with it's smoke barrage but as far as damage goes it still feels significantly worse then regular mortars. Besides, ISG is only a single unit out of 3.
5. There are no AT options, so your best bet against light vehicles is to build raketens which are pretty horrible + shreks which only sturmpios can get AND they lose 25% of their firepower AND they only get 1 per squad AND the upgrade is pretty expensive.

Meanwhile mechanized has luchs that applies extreme AI pressure, has good wiping capabilities and can quickly get out of most dangerous situations + a puma that works very well against light vehicles on it's own and can deal even with medium tanks in conjunction with other AT options + a very potent atrillery unit.

I would love to have medics for my guys in the early game but the tradeoff is too much for me.
28 Dec 2017, 03:14 AM
Senior Caster Badge

Flak HT might be "countered" fast, but it does a good job on holding teritory, you should try it :)
28 Dec 2017, 10:54 AM

Only reason why would I prioritise battlegruppe over mechanised is to rush medium tank.

Take a note that you are not only delaying medium tank tech by ~100 fuel when you go Luchs and Mechanised (price of luchs + difference in prices between battlegruppe and mechanised) but you also have to pay additional 400 manpower and 50 fuel if you want to get reliable medics (otherwise you have to pay 10 munnition for each heal you do via crates).

But apart of this, I do not see a reason to go battlegruppe
28 Dec 2017, 13:39 PM

Well you have the healing upgrade there+ you might use it as a forward (NOT retreat) but reinforcement point+ the IR halftrack will always be supergood- legit maphack for 200MP and 5 fuel- and unless they nerfed Leigs accuracy it will probably be very cost effective to pick off single models...
Although I kinda agree, mechanised is now always way better, it gives a light vehicle with the best AI dps in the game, a 70 fuel light vehicle that paired up with a rakketen counters 120 fuel costing medium tanks, cost effective repairs upgrade and a support weapons&buildings erasing machine.

It used to be a (not) very well designed decision between:
An ammo free healing, guarentee of a constant map presence with FRP, possibility of a micro-free marksman support all across the map (I reccomend everyone to think of Leigs as a sniper team and not an indirect fire tool) and a cheap legit maphack, all of that being super vulnerable to indirect fire and well timed rushes.

Or the best infantry killing vehicle that also happens to be the earliest one to arrive and the one with biggest survivalability (this makes a huge problem for Brits to this day as it locks them into either an unreliable vehicle that becomes useless after killing the luchs (assuming it ever does) or a doctrine where the counter is still very likely to be locked behind CP when the luchs arrives). That potentially accompanied by a not exactly reliable, but very cost effective light tank hunter with great survivalability and an indirect fire tool that horribly sucks at what it is intended to do (that being countering blobs in combat) and absolutely rules at what no indirect fires should ever be used for (that being raping support weapons, and buildings before giving them any chance to move away)
,all of that being vulnerable to slow, stable, careful, methodical and defensive play+ a bit of an ammo drain for healing.

Right now, FRPs on OKW and Brits are practically out of the way, so...
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★