Login

russian armor

Can we please get rid of winter maps in automatch???????????

Two
11 Aug 2013, 20:19 PM

Clearly half of coh2's population's pcs cannot handle it. I have played maybe 30 games so far, not played a single summer map and every game has had lag. Only reason I dont lag is cos i have ingame resolution at 50%. (looks shit btw)

Surely ranked gameplay should be about skill, and limit the ammount of outside factors that can affect it? Or they going all Xbone on us and forcing extras we dont want upon us?
11 Aug 2013, 23:46 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Aug 2013, 20:19 PMTwo
Clearly half of coh2's population's pcs cannot handle it. I have played maybe 30 games so far, not played a single summer map and every game has had lag. Only reason I dont lag is cos i have ingame resolution at 50%. (looks shit btw)

Surely ranked gameplay should be about skill, and limit the ammount of outside factors that can affect it? Or they going all Xbone on us and forcing extras we dont want upon us?

If you played 30 laggy games, the problem is almost definitely on your end.
12 Aug 2013, 00:07 AM
Donator 11

I don't have that issue and I'm totally against that idea.

I wouldn't mind if Blizzards would be removed or changed in automatch but not all winter maps.
12 Aug 2013, 00:58 AM
Honorary Member Badge

what i think of OP right now.
12 Aug 2013, 04:31 AM

Get a better PC. Case closed.
12 Aug 2013, 10:38 AM

Yup I have never played a game where at least one or two people lag sometimes including myself,a bit suspect really.
12 Aug 2013, 10:45 AM

Couldn't disagree with the OP more.
12 Aug 2013, 11:02 AM

I think they shouldn't be in automatch because Blizzards are the shittiest mechanic I've seen in an RTS game. Otherwise, nah.
12 Aug 2013, 12:19 PM

I bet it's your internet that still sucks.. my dear bro
12 Aug 2013, 13:25 PM

I like winter maps, and I think blizzards are an interesting mechanic.
12 Aug 2013, 13:37 PM
Two
12 Aug 2013, 22:48 PM

lol, i dont believe people are this thick, Im not saying the game lags the entire time due to the ground being white and a little bit of snow in the sky, im saying the game lags when a blizzard is going and tanks mgs and arty are all on the same screen blowing up. (and just to make sure you guys get it, i can have the tac map up in my HQ and it chucks along, so its not an issue on my end)

Pretty sure GR wasnt this stupid.
12 Aug 2013, 23:01 PM
Patrion 14

^Do you really think that wasn't clear? Still, your problem is your PC, not the game. If you're lagging during blizzards then obviously you need better hardware.
13 Aug 2013, 00:24 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Aug 2013, 22:48 PMTwo

Pretty sure GR wasnt this stupid.

I guess the old phrase "it takes one to know one" isn't always applicable.
13 Aug 2013, 00:43 AM

TBH a lot of the people in this community are stupid but so was the community at GR. They're tremendously narrow-minded and unable to look at things critically.

The blizzards are a serious issue that also effects the balance of the game simply because the meta is played differently currently with units being used that aren't affected by the blizzards (think, clown cars with flamers/guards/snipers/penals, snipers themselves, SU85, T70, T34s, Scout Cars, HT's/FHT, P4, etc). The blizzards also effect the way games are played because of the map design (think the thick snow on langres...it's everywhere, the VP placement on winter Pripyat, etc). Lines of sight are decreased...except if you have an ability that increases the LOS. This leads to a huge disparity in ranged weapons on winter maps that don't have the same effect during summer maps.

It's a part of the game that I think was initially an interesting idea that differentiates this rts from something else, but blizzards were horribly constructed from both a gameplay level and a technical level. There is considerable frame lag during blizzards when comparing them to the summer maps. If this game wants to be an honest competitor in 2013 there should be no disparity between the two map styles. If I get 35 fps during non-winter maps I should get 35 fps during a blizzard.

Currently this isn't happening because the game is horribly optimized from a technical standpoint.

13 Aug 2013, 01:21 AM
Donator 11

TBH a lot of the people in this community are stupid but so was the community at GR. They're tremendously narrow-minded and unable to look at things critically.

The blizzards are a serious issue that also effects the balance of the game simply because the meta is played differently currently with units being used that aren't affected by the blizzards (think, clown cars with flamers/guards/snipers/penals, snipers themselves, SU85, T70, T34s, Scout Cars, HT's/FHT, P4, etc). The blizzards also effect the way games are played because of the map design (think the thick snow on langres...it's everywhere, the VP placement on winter Pripyat, etc). Lines of sight are decreased...except if you have an ability that increases the LOS. This leads to a huge disparity in ranged weapons on winter maps that don't have the same effect during summer maps.

It's a part of the game that I think was initially an interesting idea that differentiates this rts from something else, but blizzards were horribly constructed from both a gameplay level and a technical level. There is considerable frame lag during blizzards when comparing them to the summer maps. If this game wants to be an honest competitor in 2013 there should be no disparity between the two map styles. If I get 35 fps during non-winter maps I should get 35 fps during a blizzard.

Currently this isn't happening because the game is horribly optimized from a technical standpoint.

True, but like I said, imo don't remove winter maps, just remove or adjust blizzards in automatch.
13 Aug 2013, 01:29 AM

I've never had a problem in winter maps. Maybe a slight FPS tank during blizzards, but I've never had anyone DC or other such nonsense. If your computer can handle summer maps, it should handle blizzards; otherwise, maybe it's just time to upgrade.

I do agree blizzards should be rarer in 1v1 automatch. But making them non-existent would be a mistake IMO, they're part of the game and useful if you know how to deal with them.
13 Aug 2013, 02:18 AM
Senior Caster Badge

I've never had a problem in winter maps. Maybe a slight FPS tank during blizzards, but I've never had anyone DC or other such nonsense. If your computer can handle summer maps, it should handle blizzards; otherwise, maybe it's just time to upgrade.

This is pretty clearly not the case. Some people's computers can handle CoH 2 pretty well except when a blizzard hits. There's a clear performance drop that makes the game unplayable for some people.
13 Aug 2013, 02:29 AM

I've never had issues either with COH2, I run into one player every say 30 matches where someones pc seems to be really struggling.

I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad but you can never really prepare for next gen / current games with the current pc hardware market (unless you have thousands to spend on "future proofing" your machine). The average pc gamer has to be ready to adapt and pay to keep their machines running the top games. Games are some of the highest demanding processes for the everyday pc unless your video encoding all day and doing studio level audio work, crazy stuff like that. Take this into consideration:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore's_law

It sucks, but the reality of being a PC gamer is that your gonna constantly be "chasing the dragon" trying to keep your pc up to date. If you cannot afford it, then sometimes you're going to be shit out of luck and it's not really the dev's fault. To give you an example, I spend 300-500 every year or two years to make sure I'm up to date part wise, and I use old parts to create old computers, file servers, or whatever I need. (Maybe just backup parts). If you aren't custom building pc's and you're a hardcore gamer I'd highly suggest picking up the ability to recognize the parts in your computer, what generation they belong to, and how they are compatible as well as what might be bottlenecking your system. Also, I'm sure there's a lot of people here that can help you. Just post your specs. Lastly, I believe there is a whole separate forum for hardware discussion on coh2.org

edit: it may be impossible for dev's to test every mix / matchup and every single piece of hardware / driver to make sure you don't run into issues :/
13 Aug 2013, 03:10 AM

The requirements on the box of the actual game do not match up to what you're saying. They simply don't say that this game should take monumental updating from COH1 in order to have a smooth experience. The same people who were running ultimate native res settings for COH1 have an entirely different experience with COH2. Hell, I have a custom built PC which I built myself and recently had to upgrade to play this game with more RAM and a newer GPU because I was getting 4-5 frames in blizzards or when the incendiary barrages came down. I STILL get noticeable frame drops in blizzards during nebels barrages or smoke emanates from wrecks.

While attempting to point out the fact that the game industry forces people to shell out 300-500 bucks each 2 years to be able to be "up to date part wise" and that's just what we face as pc gamers, you're neglecting the fact that Relic's online gameplay system predates even their first game. Hell, it throws back to the 1990s to be honest.

P2P degrades the technical quality of each match because the over "match" depends on both sides latency and framerate.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★