Login

russian armor

Wehrmacht symbol

16 Dec 2017, 22:50 PM

Hello.

The question is: is the wehrmacht symbol in CoH historical?
16 Dec 2017, 23:18 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Yes and no. It seems to be based off of a similar, but not identical cross known as the War Merit Cross; swastika replaced by a plain cross for obvious political reasons:

16 Dec 2017, 23:26 PM

Are there any reasons why developers painted it red? And do you know any mods that changes symbols to more historical?
17 Dec 2017, 00:43 AM
Donator 11

Are there any reasons why developers painted it red? And do you know any mods that changes symbols to more historical?

I doubt it - using the Swastika is illegal in Germany so I suspect even mods containing it would not be tolerated by steam or the developers
17 Dec 2017, 13:14 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Dec 2017, 00:43 AMArray

I doubt it - using the Swastika is illegal in Germany so I suspect even mods containing it would not be tolerated by steam or the developers

There is a similar mod to Hearts of Iron and I dawnloaded it from steam workshop, so I think steam tolerate the Swastika. Besides that, I would be content with a mod replacing this weird red cross to standard "Balkenkreuz".
17 Dec 2017, 13:30 PM

I think it's stupid that nowadays you cannot use symbols of historical nations in historical games and films.

It is not a propaganda of fascism in any way, it's a simulation of history.

17 Dec 2017, 13:33 PM

I think it's stupid that nowadays you cannot use symbols of historical nations in historical games and films.

Well it's only certain nations that make it illegal, such as Germany. If you get any kind of historical production made by Britain, the US etc then they use the swastika/hammer and sickle quite liberally. It's when something is available mass market that they have to account for laws in countries that they want to market in.
17 Dec 2017, 15:50 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

Several off topic posts invised and a couple of posts citing the off topic stuff.

This is not a political messageboard.

@Mods: please lock, if off topic replies continue
17 Dec 2017, 16:51 PM

And that is why, in the case of germany - it's actually not banned. It's just that no Publisher wants to risk going to court about this issue (even though he is likely to win the case). It may also trigger some potential bad headlines for the publisher. Being accused of fascistic propaganda is kinda a bad thing for a company which also sells stuff to children.
18 Dec 2017, 07:19 AM

As a German here: No in Germany Swastikas are not banned automatically.
Sure, you cannot, must not and should not walk around with a Swastika on your shirt, but for educational purposes and in media, they are allowed as long as they do not glorify the NS propaganda.

Not a single Hollywood movie has its Swastikas censored out here in Germany.

But the difference is, that in movies, the Nazi regime is always viewed as negative, thus no glorification of the Swastikas. Sure, there are also good German people in movies, but you won't find anyone behaving like this solely because of their believes in Nazism.

In games, there is a difference. Think about playing as Ostheer in CoH2 and winning the match. Before we had our victory strikes after a match, we had a video that will play depending on who won the match. As Soviets it was the USSR symbols with a Russian Hymn and as Germans (former Ostheer) it was some kind of a medal with the Balkenkreuz (the cross that is used ingame) shown.

If you replaced this Balkenkreuz with a Swastika, this would clearly have been a glorification of Nazi symbols and thus been banned in Germany.

Sure you can argue about that, but as other people in this thread already mentioned, SEGA simply didn't want to take the risk and that is in my opinion understandable. Same goes for Steam and their workshop.

19 Dec 2017, 19:25 PM

I've seen a mod that changes the mouse cursor to a svastika.
That puts swastikas on Ostheer and Oberkommandowest tanks.

That changes the voice overs to a lot of nazi political ideology blurbs.
Why would anyone be screaming that on the battlefield, I have no idea.

Is this what you were looking for?
19 Dec 2017, 19:33 PM

Snip

Didn't realise that, that's interesting.
19 Dec 2017, 20:02 PM

As a German here: No in Germany Swastikas are not banned automatically.
Sure, you cannot, must not and should not walk around with a Swastika on your shirt, but for educational purposes and in media, they are allowed as long as they do not glorify the NS propaganda.

Not a single Hollywood movie has its Swastikas censored out here in Germany.

But the difference is, that in movies, the Nazi regime is always viewed as negative, thus no glorification of the Swastikas. Sure, there are also good German people in movies, but you won't find anyone behaving like this solely because of their believes in Nazism.

In games, there is a difference. Think about playing as Ostheer in CoH2 and winning the match. Before we had our victory strikes after a match, we had a video that will play depending on who won the match. As Soviets it was the USSR symbols with a Russian Hymn and as Germans (former Ostheer) it was some kind of a medal with the Balkenkreuz (the cross that is used ingame) shown.

If you replaced this Balkenkreuz with a Swastika, this would clearly have been a glorification of Nazi symbols and thus been banned in Germany.

Sure you can argue about that, but as other people in this thread already mentioned, SEGA simply didn't want to take the risk and that is in my opinion understandable. Same goes for Steam and their workshop.

Oh! And if you lost, your symbol was crushed, falling apart.
I had not noticed it was gone. But now that you do, I remember!

didn't it have a Russian Hymn to go with it?
19 Dec 2017, 20:37 PM

Oh! And if you lost, your symbol was crushed, falling apart.
I had not noticed it was gone. But now that you do, I remember!

didn't it have a Russian Hymn to go with it?

Yes, it did!
Good old times, haha.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 69
Germany 16

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %