Login

russian armor

Cheapest PC rig to max out CoH2: This one?

14 Dec 2017, 06:50 AM

Hey there,

long story short, I am looking for a cheap desktop set-up that can run CoH2 on max. settings or almost max. settings.

Preferably around 30 fps on 1920x1080p.
I am used to 5-20 fps so 30 fps would be more than enough. I know if I wanna max out CoH2 on 1080p at 60 fps I probably gotta spend 1000 Euros, but that is not my intention.

Also, I know that CoH2 can have performance issues with any rig and needs to be restarted from time to time (or after 2h). I've also heard about problematic performance drops with in-game anti-aliasing enabled.

So what do you think about these set-ups?

Roughly 450 Euros
CPU: Intel Pentium G4600, boxed with cooler
Motherboard: ASRock H110M-DVS R3.0
RAM: Crucial DIMM 8GB, DDR4-2133
GPU: KFA² GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Power: Performance A+ Serie 530W
HDD: Seagate BarraCuda Compute 1TB, SATA
Case: BitFenix Nova

Roughly 600 Euros
CPU: Intel Pentium G4600, boxed with cooler
Motherboard: MSI B250M Pro-VDH
RAM: Crucial DIMM 8GB, DDR4-2400
GPU: Gainward GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Power: be quiet! Pure Power 10 400W
HDD: Seagate FireCuda 1TB, SATA SSHD
Case: BitFenix Nova

I would prefer to have a cheap rig around 500 Euros which is relatively quiet and strong enough to play CoH2 with (almost) max. setting on 1080p at relatively steady 30 fps. At best, I wish I could use any SSD to boost loading and booting times, but I can't find any cheap one.

Any input and help appreciated.

Cheers
14 Dec 2017, 09:24 AM

Well, if COH2 is your only concern, I would strongly suggest putting as much of your money into the best Intel CPU you can afford. I'd be hesitant to game on a Pentium though. See if you can get a Core i3 at the least.

This is the second time I've seen someone mention AA performance issues, but I'm not sure what people are basing that on. The only thing I can think of is they don't have enough VRAM since the in-game options are good old brute-force MSAA. 4GB is a reasonable amount for this game though, and I can't see any reason for it to get worse as the match goes on. That's just a CPU/bad game code thing, as far as I'm aware. You can also just force newer AA methods from Nvidia control panel instead of in-game AA. That would free up a lot of GPU power.
14 Dec 2017, 10:22 AM
Donator 11

Good i3 is definitely your best choice fo this game.

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Dec 2017, 09:24 AMCyanara
Well, if COH2 is your only concern, I would strongly suggest putting as much of your money into the best Intel CPU you can afford. I'd be hesitant to game on a Pentium though. See if you can get a Core i3 at the least.

This is the second time I've seen someone mention AA performance issues, but I'm not sure what people are basing that on. The only thing I can think of is they don't have enough VRAM since the in-game options are good old brute-force MSAA. 4GB is a reasonable amount for this game though, and I can't see any reason for it to get worse as the match goes on. That's just a CPU/bad game code thing, as far as I'm aware. You can also just force newer AA methods from Nvidia control panel instead of in-game AA. That would free up a lot of GPU power.

As for AA I think the is problem with the fact that people finally can play this game on max settings with current hardware but they cant set AA to max becouse of MSAA usage. Using forced AA from GPU drivers is a good choice but as this has to be full scale it sadly also blurs fonts.

20 Dec 2017, 11:09 AM
Donator 11

first of all, if you havent bought it yet, i would wait until the new year, as hardware is always getting more expensive right before christmas

now to your setups:
both seem fine, but i would add a 120GB SSD, they are available for like 45€, quite an acceptable price for the loading time boost.

however, i personally would not buy an intel pentium and rather go for a slightly more expenisve ryzen build, that is much more capable of being upgraded in the future
22 Dec 2017, 12:53 PM

i dont know why you guys recomment a i3 cpu today

just go with ryzen 3

4 cores are fine for coh 2
however the pentium will still make his job

22 Dec 2017, 14:54 PM

Hm I think it isn't wise to build a pc just for CoH2. It is a game with rough optimization. Do you like other games? Perhaps it is wise to build a pc that is catered more to the other types of games? I mean, if you are used to 20fps, then your new pc will surely provide improvements but also allows you to fully enjoy other games.

I have a i5 3570k overclocked to 4.6 (watercooled), 8 gigs of ddr3 ram and a GTX 980TI. Even this has trouble with the game lol. I mean it can run almost all games maxed out when they are optimized, but CoH2 is still a problem.
22 Dec 2017, 15:01 PM
Donator 11

I have a i5 3570k overclocked to 4.6 (watercooled), 8 gigs of ddr3 ram and a GTX 980TI. Even this has trouble with the game lol. I mean it can run almost all games maxed out when they are optimized, but CoH2 is still a problem.

Try adding ram. You will see huge difference. 8Gb is too little for coh2 when you want to use settings suitable for 3570k and gtx 980.

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Dec 2017, 12:53 PMthinel
i dont know why you guys recomment a i3 cpu today

just go with ryzen 3

4 cores are fine for coh 2
however the pentium will still make his job

Its very rare for coh2 to go over 200% core usage and that is becouse it is getting capped at 100% on its primary exectution thread, like most games do. That is why getting faster 2 core cpu is better than slower 4 core ones and new i3s have lightning fast cores.
22 Dec 2017, 15:26 PM

Try adding ram. You will see huge difference. 8Gb is too little for coh2 when you want to use settings suitable for 3570k and gtx 980.

Its very rare for coh2 to go over 200% core usage and that is becouse it is getting capped at 100% on its primary exectution thread, like most games do. That is why getting faster 2 core cpu is better than slower 4 core ones and new i3s have lightning fast cores.

Thanks for the advice! Like I said though, other games run perfect, so I don't see a reason just to upgrade for coh2 xd.

The new i3s are indeed very good
22 Dec 2017, 16:08 PM

well that might be true for coh2 but in general i would prefer an ryzen 3 over an i3

the ryzen is easy overclockable to 3,8 ghz which is more than enough for coh2 and the am4 motherbaords are way cheaper than the new i3 motherboards however i think if he really wants to play only coh2 a pentium g4560 or g4600 is way better than an i3 in terms of price-performance

22 Dec 2017, 16:23 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Dec 2017, 16:08 PMthinel

well that might be true for coh2 but in general i would prefer an ryzen 3 over an i3

the ryzen is easy overclockable to 3,8 ghz which is more than enough for coh2 and the am4 motherbaords are way cheaper than the new i3 motherboards however i think if he really wants to play only coh2 a pentium g4560 or g4600 is way better than an i3 in terms of price-performance

Why would anybody take ryzen 3 over i3? I mean, if you need unlocked 4 core cpu, you can get i3-8100 at the same price or cheaper than ryzen 3. And it is better than ryzen 3 in every cathegory. If all you care about is single core performance nothing but i7s beats i3-7100 or i3-7350K. In fact the 7100 has similar multicore performance to ryzen 3 even thought ryzen 3 has twice the number of cores...
22 Dec 2017, 17:18 PM

Why would anybody take ryzen 3 over i3? I mean, if you need unlocked 4 core cpu, you can get i3-8100 at the same price or cheaper than ryzen 3. And it is better than ryzen 3 in every cathegory. If all you care about is single core performance nothing but i7s beats i3-7100 or i3-7350K. In fact the 7100 has similar multicore performance to ryzen 3 even thought ryzen 3 has twice the number of cores...

mmh i dont know how the prices are in poland but in germany the i3 8100 costs like 130 euros
and the ryzen 3 1200 cost like 100 euros

the chipset that supports intel coffee lake is also quiet expensive here so a cheap i3 8100 motherboard is like 110 euros while you can get an oc supporting am4 motherbaord for 60 euros !

its true that the i3 is outperforming in single core performence but the ryzen 3 can get to a nearly similiar performence overclocked with the boxed cooler

in all the test i read the ryzen 3 is also out performing the i3 7100 or i3 8100 in multicore benmchmarks

for gaming intel is actually still a little bit better but this just a optimization thing.

for the price i would go for an ryzen 3 but i am quiet sure that there will be no big differenz between an i3 7100 an i3 8100 an pentium g4560 an ryzen 3 1200 or and ryzen 3 1300x

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★