Login

russian armor

countering OKW emplacement spam.

12 Dec 2017, 21:51 PM

So I decided to throw myself back into playing soviets after a long break and was faced with this very defensive and borderline spammy sim city strategy.

I think that one mistake was my choice of doctrine which I don't feel like I got the most out of, but other than that could anyone give me some feedback on what I should have done differently.

The guy is rank 16 but he didn't strike me as a particularly skilled player, as he just did a lot of blobbing and building lefhs, which also meant that I had a party with my sniper killing just short of a hundred germans with just one unit. With a few dshk I have a feeling he would be completely lost with his strat, so perhaps I should have backteched for a shitty maxim?

Any feedback would be nice as I need to win these kind of games if I'm to have any hope of becomming top 200 with soviets.

13 Dec 2017, 12:07 PM
Strategist Badge

I will see what i can do for ya :)
13 Dec 2017, 13:07 PM

I will see what i can do for ya :)

My man! :D
13 Dec 2017, 18:03 PM
Strategist Badge

So I decided to throw myself back into playing soviets after a long break and was faced with this very defensive and borderline spammy sim city strategy.

I think that one mistake was my choice of doctrine which I don't feel like I got the most out of, but other than that could anyone give me some feedback on what I should have done differently.

The guy is rank 16 but he didn't strike me as a particularly skilled player, as he just did a lot of blobbing and building lefhs, which also meant that I had a party with my sniper killing just short of a hundred germans with just one unit. With a few dshk I have a feeling he would be completely lost with his strat, so perhaps I should have backteched for a shitty maxim?

Any feedback would be nice as I need to win these kind of games if I'm to have any hope of becomming top 200 with soviets.

As you are a pretty good player i will spare a lot of the blow by blow analysis, but ill try to point out any of the larger 'mistakes' i spot.

First one, is probably the timing and use of the Scout Car, i would personally say it is better to get the scout car out after the first penal, to maximise the time it has to roam the field without fausts. I would also stick the closest penal/flamer engineer in it and just go balls deep.

TBH, your early game here was pretty bad, you took some bad fights are the start, and from there you ended up with what i am going to call the 'AT gap' where in effect you have no reliable AT with which to take on the luchs. He could have forced units into base and just killed them at that point. What you needed to do was use the Scout car to force retreats and sit on his cut off, slowing down the luchs.

I like the late T-70, i think you needed it. Its just a shame it got 2-banged by the Pak 43. Not much you could have done about that. Given how badly you were struggling for map control, it might have been a good idea to build a Quad half track for suppression and support against aggressive infantry. The synergy between the PTRS's and half track and the sniper would have been nice.

However, i hate to say it, but the guy is just taking better fights than you. You keep throwing your infantry into the meat grinder and getting bugger all map for it. :/ I think a more defensive approach might have worked better. Something like sitting your units in heavy cover (maybe get one con to build it) and using the sniper to force him to attack your position.

Nice to see you actually did the things i have suggested, but maybe a little too late. I also hate to say this, but i think the guy was toying with you... Three Lefh's... On a more serious note, stop and think about the game, how it is going and where you are struggling. What is your opponent doing, and what are the weaknesses in his build, play, game etc? You had so much fuel at the end and you have half your VP's left. You could have taken less aggressive fights, conserved your manpower and gotten SOOOOO man t-34-76's and swarmed the Pak 43. He had no tanks and the pak was his only hard AT. Also i think another mortar would have been better than the guards. Guards are currently pretty bad, and are very bad vs vet 5 volks :P.

Keeping the sniper alive was nice, but as you saw from the numbers of LEFH's he had, it wasn't enough to bleed him on manpower, partly because you were taking such horrible infantry fights.

He was by no means THAT good of a player, but i suspect he was playing sloppy because he could. Next time calm yourself down (trust me i get tunnel vision as well) and think about the game. You could have used his cockiness against him, and taken advantage of his total lack of mobile AT come at and him with enough tanks to overwhelm him.

PS the doc was both good and bad, the mortar was good vs that strat, but you needed to target the Flak HQ with it more. The defensive doc with the mini at gun, Dhsk and heavy mortar would (i think) have been the best choice.

Good luck in the next fight!

13 Dec 2017, 19:34 PM

snipped

Sage advice as always. I really appreaciate you tanking the time to give me feedback as it both helps me improve and also gives me some inspiration to keep going even when I'm in a bad streak.

Hanging back in well placed positions is certainly a weakness of mine and something I need to work on. I have almost a neurotic aversion to seeing a "clock" next to one of my units and almost always try to ninja cap. Against <10 players this is fine, but meeting more skilled opponents this is certainly working against me.

I also realize that this is not an ideal commander, but seeing of how sick i am of meeting cheesey dshk attack-move spam when playing germans I figured I didn't want to be that guy.

My usual lineup is Lend-Lease because that's the meta, counterattack for the outrageous "motherland" buff which seem even stronger with the factions low dependence on munis, and finally reserve army for the partisans, assault package and not least rapid conscription which is a good way to solve my constant manpower starvation.

Are there any other commanders you might recommend that I use for the remainder of the current version of the game?
14 Dec 2017, 09:50 AM
Strategist Badge

Sage advice as always. I really appreaciate you tanking the time to give me feedback as it both helps me improve and also gives me some inspiration to keep going even when I'm in a bad streak.

Hanging back in well placed positions is certainly a weakness of mine and something I need to work on. I have almost a neurotic aversion to seeing a "clock" next to one of my units and almost always try to ninja cap. Against <10 players this is fine, but meeting more skilled opponents this is certainly working against me.

I also realize that this is not an ideal commander, but seeing of how sick i am of meeting cheesey dshk attack-move spam when playing germans I figured I didn't want to be that guy.

My usual lineup is Lend-Lease because that's the meta, counterattack for the outrageous "motherland" buff which seem even stronger with the factions low dependence on munis, and finally reserve army for the partisans, assault package and not least rapid conscription which is a good way to solve my constant manpower starvation.

Are there any other commanders you might recommend that I use for the remainder of the current version of the game?

Well, those are the best doctrines haha so, when trying to win use them! But if you want to branch your game out, which is a very good thing to do as it makes you a much more versatile player here are my favorites.

Soz but i cant remember the names...

The Defensive doctrine, IE the one with the mini at gun, Dshk, heavy mortar, is actually a really great doctrine, it synergises very well with a T1 opening, with snipers and penals. Mix in a con or two with AT nades and you have a very well balanced force to fight Luchs, other snipers, heavy infantry play and or emplacements :)

Also you are pretty handy with snipers it seems, so if you are feeling really adventurous, Tank hunters. Now, cons are bad enough at killing infantry without putting two PTRS's on them so you will need some killing power from somewhere. I Normally go sniper or double sniper. If you go double sniper just put them on control group one and micro them together to minimise micro input. Otherwise you can try and make it to loads of light vehicles and rely on the PTRS's as back up, more of a gamble tho.

other than those two a lot of Sov doc follow the same general pattern, call in inf, some kind of extra tank, and maybe an off map. Shocks are good on some maps, but you have to use them correctly, IE flank. guards are currently very defensive, so you kinda need cons to build cover for them. T-34-85 is a brutally efficient tank for its fuel cost, but then again, the t-34-76 makes even it look expensive, so keep in mind that you dont need a doc with a fat call in, coz masses t-34-76's are kinda uncounterable. Use mark target in combination with masses t-34's to take down any tank with ease, then hf :P
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★