Login

russian armor

Ask the Strategist!

PAGES (38)down
14 Jan 2017, 15:36 PM

So I was wondering going into a 2v2 as axis what is the optimum method for shutting down allied rocket artillery particularly the nasty calliope/at gun + land mattress/comet combo?

Let's say we know it's coming and we have the luxury of picking factions and doctrines.

P.S. I can't seem to figure out how to search the forums, if this has already been discussed please refer me to the post.
17 Jan 2017, 06:24 AM

Hello fellow nerds, :D

Does anyone have a good opening for sov sniper in 1v1? I have tried sniper into 4 cons and didn't love it.. Thoughts?

thanks,
17 Jan 2017, 12:35 PM
Lead Strategist Badge

So I was wondering going into a 2v2 as axis what is the optimum method for shutting down allied rocket artillery particularly the nasty calliope/at gun + land mattress/comet combo?

Let's say we know it's coming and we have the luxury of picking factions and doctrines.

P.S. I can't seem to figure out how to search the forums, if this has already been discussed please refer me to the post.

calliope/at gun: Stuka, Panzerwerfer to kill the paks and then PIV to kill calliope or panther.

Also yes if they have calliope get a KT as OKW: They can't kill it. And KT is a beast vs inf as well.

But i agree, if you can't hold your fuel in 2vs2, you have to play with inf and paks, and then you get destroyed from arty.

Stuka works perfect vs landmartz as well!( i know stuka cost more fuel. but therefore youget it much earlier then birt get landmartz
17 Jan 2017, 12:38 PM
Lead Strategist Badge

Does anyone have a good opening for sov sniper in 1v1? I have tried sniper into 4 cons and didn't love it.. Thoughts?

thanks,

Get first 1-2 cons and then sniper. And then tech at nades. Or get partisandoc or guarde, to counter the 222/flamerhft/ luchs rush.

If you start with sniper you have no capping power.

So 1 cons
, 1 strafniki, 1 m3, 1 sniper; more cons with at nades OR guarde / at partisan

M3 is no need vs ost, but works perfect vs OKW. They can't faust in early.

But tbh i think you have to look if you want to play with strafnikis or sniper. Both is not working so well in early. They cost both to much. So look what you prefer :)
19 Jan 2017, 13:11 PM
Admin Red  Badge

Against this kind of combination I recommend to play mixed Axis (OKW/OH). While the OH player chooses Jaeger Armour Doctrine for scopes, reconnaissance flights and Elephant the OKW player should take Special Operations Doctrine for radio silence, flares and Command Panther.

The strategic rationale behind those choices are that scopes/both kinds of reconnaissance will give you a proper overview over the battlefield to be able to foresee and to react to hostile movements. Scopes will grant your Elephant permanent enhanced vision to target those nasty Comets and provide sight for deadly Panzerwerfer barrages. Speaking of Panzerwerfers you should tech to T4 to field rocket artillery for countering AT guns and to produce at least one Panther as support for your Elephant. The OKW player should tech to Mechanised Regiment to produce at least one Stuka for early access to indirect fire (it might take a while until Panzerwerfers hit the field...). Afterwards he can go for healing but should then directly head for Command Panther call in. By calling in this tank your team is not only acquiring a late game carrier but also possesses a powerful tool to destruct any armour within 2 shots: mark target. If Command Panther and Elephant have the desired armoured target in range use mark target. If both of your tanks' shots connect the marked hostile piece of armour will be a wreck for sure. If you advance into hostile land do not forget to activate radio silence.

Some early game survival tips:
Do not be too aggressive when engaging Allied forces in early game. Unless you have total domination over both fuel points and fast light vehicle counters on the field I advise to be rather defensive securing at least 1 VP, 1 muni and 1 fuel point within a connected territory. If you overextend your frontlines Allied light vehicle rush will cause an immediate breakdown in case you haven't any counters on field. Therefore I suggest to secure a solid portion of the map to persevere until late game when Axis' true strength is revealed.

General tips when handling Calliopes and co.:
Most important rule: Never ever blob! NEVER! If you aggregate more than 1 squad in a narrow position (and there are many narrow positions in 2v2 maps...) then Calliopes and co. will reach their highest efficiency thus fully paying out for Allied players. You mustn't let their investment pay out for them though!
To make Allied players further regret purchasing those artillery pieces you should - once Panthers have entered the battlefield - engage your foe with armored might primarily, not with infantry forces. Force them to show their AT guns/Comets then barrage with Pwerfer and Stukas/shoot with Elephant. Your infantry should stay a bit behind the frontlines to repel pushes rather than pushing themselves. By playing your cards this way you force to play your opponent by your rules on the one hand and on the other hand you achieved that their investment is rendered as disadvantageous as possible.
19 Jan 2017, 13:29 PM
Admin Red  Badge

thanks,

What to add to Sturmpanther's post:
I think the map you play on shouldn't have many shotblockers and should have wide open areas to work with if you consider a Soviet Sniper build. You have to bear in mind that you must make up for your early investment of 360 MP for a very fragile squad that costs you early game capping power as well.
23 Feb 2017, 15:09 PM

My question is about the OKW Firestorm Doctrine.

I would like to know how this Doctrine can be used properly in order to have some nice combinations with the overwhelming power by combining Flamethrowers and strong infantry.

Thanks.
24 Feb 2017, 21:37 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

My question is about the OKW Firestorm Doctrine.

I would like to know how this Doctrine can be used properly in order to have some nice combinations with the overwhelming power by combining Flamethrowers and strong infantry.

Thanks.

It's only practical on a few maps like Semoskiy or La Gleiz. 2x Sturm opening and get flames on first, sweeper on the second. Ignore the hetzer because it's trash and play a normal game. Need to rely on being super aggressive early game to make up for the fact that you have nothing useful.

There really is no good pro strat for this doctrine, it doesn't offer enough useful things to play any differently.
26 Feb 2017, 09:42 AM

A friend and I get frequently pummeled as USF/SU in 2v2. He plays Calliope Commander. I usually take Guard Motor or Mechanized Support. We generally do very well early game, until we inevitably loose our Stuart/T70 and the first PIV hits the field. Even if we can hurt the PIV we can rarely finish it off and it is the start of the dig in phase for axis.

What do you think of the Rifle Company these days? Because as much as I love rocket artillery, usually if we are doing well at that stage, the Calliope makes us win even more/faster, but if we are behind, it doesnt help much. I thought if we'd go straight to multiple Easy Eights on the other hand, we could contend better in the mid game.
26 Feb 2017, 10:22 AM
Lead Strategist Badge

A friend and I get frequently pummeled as USF/SU in 2v2. He plays Calliope Commander. I usually take Guard Motor or Mechanized Support. We generally do very well early game, until we inevitably loose our Stuart/T70 and the first PIV hits the field. Even if we can hurt the PIV we can rarely finish it off and it is the start of the dig in phase for axis.

What do you think of the Rifle Company these days? Because as much as I love rocket artillery, usually if we are doing well at that stage, the Calliope makes us win even more/faster, but if we are behind, it doesnt help much. I thought if we'd go straight to multiple Easy Eights on the other hand, we could contend better in the mid game.

Hi Cogetama,

Atm in 2vs2 AT Brits+ Soviet is the strongest combo. Maybe you wanna try this? Brit goes for arty cover and soviet something with guarde.

Don't go Easy Eights in the most cases. Calliope or Pershing doc is better.
The point is you guys have to hold the stuart and t70 alive. They are important keyunits. I agree that Jackson are atm very hard to play. So normally the soviet guy had to deal vs the tanks. Like Su85 orsu76 ( but there you need 2-3), or T34/85. Also Zisguns and usa paks are needed. Get 2 bazookas on your Etaptroup.

And here we come again to my first point. Soviet and USA lack in good tanks. Especially vs OKW tanks. Thats why brits are so great. Chromwells, Firefly, Comets are great tanks.

With soviets+ usa you have a good early midgame, but lack little bit in lategame.
7 Mar 2017, 01:15 AM

The E8s are very pretty and feel good to use, but they are barely an upgrade over regular Shermans, not worth using your precious Commander pick with them.
29 Apr 2017, 08:10 AM

Hi. Me again. What should Soviets and Brits do in 2v2 and 3v3 after the two last patches? Return of the IS-2? Lend-Lease as in 1v1? Thanks.
29 Apr 2017, 08:57 AM
Lead Strategist Badge

Hi. Me again. What should Soviets and Brits do in 2v2 and 3v3 after the two last patches? Return of the IS-2? Lend-Lease as in 1v1? Thanks.

Thats hard to say. There are many factors: Map, 2 okw, or 2 Ost etc.

Vs Ostheer Soviet t1 with sniper can work very well. To play Sniper vs OKW is very risky. But if you still want to do it --> Lend-Lease is your best friend :)

Brits did not get nerfed soo hard. You still can play and use every units expect AEC vs INF.

But imo Lend-Lease is stronger in 1vs1. The Il2-Strike from soviet is too good and needed vs pak43, arty, etc. in teamgames.

Cons+ Maxims is still possible, but way harder now. You can't go alone with your maxims. You need Pio or Cons to spot the enemies for your mg.

Is2 is not a good choice. And don't forget Su76; this unit is very great, if you can mirco it!

Soviets is hard to play atm but you need them in teamgames, because you don't know, which map you get in automatch:

A) Flamers wins games on housemaps. USA and Brits don't have them. You don't want to choose a doc only to get flamer in early.

B) Katja is good in teamgames. Calliope and Landmatraze comes way later

C) Su85 can be better then Jackson: because of the line of sight. But depends on the map! Sometimes a rotate turret is better

D) Demos can win games, when enemies blob and don't use minesweeper
29 Apr 2017, 09:01 AM

I don´t recommend the Soviets in any game mode right now and especially not in random teamgames. The USF and the UKF can do everything better than the Soviets. An early game Soviet army composition is trashy, conscripts are defeated by any axis main line infantry and vickers/.50cal M2HB are better than maxims right now as well. Penals can hold their ground, but so can the rifles/infantry sections. If you want to get indirect fire, get a pack howie or a mortar pit, not the Soviet stock mortar.

The Soviets also has the worst tanks unless you get some doctrinal ones (t34/85s with a mark target or an IS2). And their late game indirect fire is lacking compared to the land mattress or the calliope. Also I think the current Pershing is far better than the IS2 - more accurate, with better mobility, easily repaired and with better supporting units (Jackson is better than SU-85 IMO because it deals increased damage with vet1 ability). Pershing also gets ridiculous fire rate increase at vet2-3.

If you play teamgames with your team, one player should go soviets for urban maps, because you need fast flamethrower. And also early katty can help you.

The UKF plan remains the same I think. Try to get as many comets as possible, with support of the crocodile (infantry wiping machine) and skillplanez. And of course add 1 firefly in the late game to fight off the axis heavies. IS lmg blobs are still good, just remember to use cover. And about the UKF commanders - go for the Vanguard operations doctrine (commados + croco + skillplanez) or for the Land mattress doctrine.

In 1v1 the Soviets should go the M3 "clown car" against the OKW to gain an advantage early on because they cannot fight the late game OKW on equal terms. Many pro players go either Penals and the "clown car" or 3 engineers into the "clown car" and Penals. Currently I don´t see any reason getting Cons. Penals can do everything better, even flamer engineers are better and more cost-efficient fighting unit. You must rush tier3 and get a t70, later supported by a su76, before they get a luchs. You can add a sniper or two once you feel for him.

Against OST you can even try play with maxims and mortars, but I still think penals, clown car, and possible sniper are better. And of course rush the T70. The problem isn´t that maxim is bad, actually maxims is quite good. The problem is that maxim cannot hold his ground alone anymore and conscripts are trashy to supplement the maxims.

In terms of the doctrines, I think soviets should go lend lease, because this doctrine gives them 2 most important thinks - an OP hmg - Dushka, so they can counter the axis infantry efficiently and later on Shermans. Once you vet a Sherman, he will turn into fast firing machine, that can go toe in toe even against big axis cats, if numbers are on your side. Also with the Lend lease doctrine you can save so fuel when you don´t build t4.

29 Apr 2017, 19:04 PM

thank you both. That gives food for thought.

@Sturmpanther: Just to clarify. I assume you mean the Il-2 Precision bomb strike, and not the loitering attack? Therefore you would suggest mechanized support tactics?
29 Apr 2017, 19:24 PM
Lead Strategist Badge

thank you both. That gives food for thought.

@Sturmpanther: Just to clarify. I assume you mean the Il-2 Precision bomb strike, and not the loitering attack? Therefore you would suggest mechanized support tactics?

The il2 Bombstrike with the heavy bombs yeah.

The ISU doc is great! But do me a favour: Don't get a ISU out, when enemie have JT or Ele.
Just get Katja and Su85 for the prize;)

But the rest of this doc is great
10 Jun 2017, 18:03 PM
Senior Referee Badge

Ok my ostheer keeps losing to double soviet sniper, how the hell do i counter this?

-scout car = you have to dive, either you lose it to mines or to the base dhsks and an at nade of cons or ptrs penals. And even if you dont die bcs of this the snipers will either go in a base bunker which means you can't kill them or they will walk circles around the base and scout car can't properly drive which means you can't kill the snipers.
-Behind the line guys = I have tried this, a bundle grenade on both 2 snipers didn't wipe them, then they had to retreat through red cover for a proper 7 seconds and still they didn't die.
-Fast p4 = you get countered by mines and double at gun or a quick call in like a kv1.
-counter snipe them = he has 2 snipers from the beginning which means in the end when you reached the veterancy bcs you have to be very carefull when you will do the counter snipe you will get coutner sniped yourself.
-good pushes = he will just retreat the snipers and come back with them

I have the feeling that the soviet snipers have insane health due to their 2 man squad, bcs i never managed to kill one even if they retreated through red cover for a proper 10 seconds with only one man.

4 men squad get countered and even if you play really agressive early game there is nothing you can do bcs you can't keep up the pressure and he will get out etc. etc.

If anyone has a counter please let me know, untill then i dont think ill be anymore ostheer bcs this is becoming more meta by the day :/
10 Jun 2017, 18:22 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

Ok my ostheer keeps losing to double soviet sniper, how the hell do i counter this?

-scout car = you have to dive, either you lose it to mines or to the base dhsks and an at nade of cons or ptrs penals. And even if you dont die bcs of this the snipers will either go in a base bunker which means you can't kill them or they will walk circles around the base and scout car can't properly drive which means you can't kill the snipers.
-Behind the line guys = I have tried this, a bundle grenade on both 2 snipers didn't wipe them, then they had to retreat through red cover for a proper 7 seconds and still they didn't die.
-Fast p4 = you get countered by mines and double at gun or a quick call in like a kv1.
-counter snipe them = he has 2 snipers from the beginning which means in the end when you reached the veterancy bcs you have to be very carefull when you will do the counter snipe you will get coutner sniped yourself.

I have the feeling that the soviet snipers have insane health due to their 2 man squad, bcs i never managed to kill one even if they retreated through red cover for a proper 10 seconds with only one man.

4 men squad get countered and even if you play really agressive early game there is nothing you can do bcs you can't keep up the pressure and he will get out etc. etc.

If anyone has a counter please let me know, untill then i dont think ill be anymore ostheer bcs this is becoming more meta by the day :/

Best sniper counters is to not engage them as best you can and when you get the proper counters (ostheer sniper, 222, 250 if mechanized assualt) then see if you can bait or catch him offguard. Remember that if you put a sweeper in a HT it WILL still detect mines. So a strategy I'd at least experiment with is maybe a gren + sweeper inside of a 251 and dive. Follow up with a 222 if you need too. Also remember that if he's getting PTRS on his penals your LMG grens will destroy them if his sniper goes down, so his entire anti infantry line is relying on his snipers surviving to upset the penals PTRS engagement. A lot of the sniper issues are map dependant as well. Some maps are simply to open and easy to use snipers.
10 Jun 2017, 18:46 PM
Lead Strategist Badge

Your 5-6 gren spam does not work vs this? I mean 2 soviet sniper means 0 capping power. But yeah you should try to rush 222. And always hide behind blockers. --> So he can't get 2 cps for guarde, at Partisans etc. When he has strafnkis as well, shot with your sniper on them. You will get fast vet1 and then --> Rip soviet sniper :)

But yes ike on langres soviet sniper is powerful, when he survived the 222 rush.
21 Jun 2017, 02:28 AM
Developer Relic Badge

Best way to counter soviet sniper play is with sniper play of your own, this envolves using your sniper against his infantry until you get vet 1 for the double tap, after that is pretty straight forward, you either put your sniper in a place where you think he will walk in red cover or just build a 222 and run it into the enemy sniper with support from your own sniper. The not so optimal way is agressive play with grens by flanking with G43s. If he goes for double sniper I would suggest by going double sniper, but look at the state of the game, if you can get a P4 out with no counters on the field due to the sniper investment then go for it otherwise stick to double sniper yourself.
PAGES (38)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS