Login

russian armor

What is wrong about playing only one faction ?

14 Nov 2017, 22:08 PM

I am getting sick at tired of people telling me "you should play all the factions".

I'm gonna introduce you to a "little" game called StarCraft (both of them). In SC 1 and SC 2, pro gamers and casual gamers stick to ONLY ONE race so that they can master it in time.

Why isn't that mentality appliable here? What makes this game different?

Edit: By one faction I meant that I play both Wehr and OKW.
14 Nov 2017, 22:17 PM

Different people learn things in different ways. Somebody finds useful to stick to one thing and doesn't spread attention, other benefits from knowing as many aspects as there can be. But who can say for sure which of them fits him better if didn't try both?..
14 Nov 2017, 22:19 PM

The point behind playing all the factions is to learn how to deal with stuff from them and get a feel for what the weaknesses/strenghts of all the factions are.

So if you keep losing against Simcity, try out playing Simcity yourself and see what you struggle against.
Point is a deep understanding of all the factions and not get tunnelvisioned by only playing one.

Starcraft pros know all the races in and out, and i played a ton of SC1/SC2 myself and have played all 3 factions for a decent amount of time. I think its not wrong to say that that is valid for most SC1/2 players actually, to have experienced all the factions enough to understand them very well.
14 Nov 2017, 22:27 PM

There is absolutely nothing wrong with playing only one faction.

There is, however, something to be said about playing one faction and discussing the balance of the overall game or other factions. This is a complex game where there's a lot more faction specific mechanics at work.

I think players who only play one faction to be useful in discussions, but only for nuanced, high level play concerning that faction. But not necessarily overall balance or design of other factions/matchups.

I mean, an okw only 1v1 player is still dealing with 4 factions. But I wouldn't trust their perspective concerning how changes to allied units would affect ostheer gameplay.
14 Nov 2017, 22:52 PM
Donator 11

In coh2 you have to play at least one axis and at least one ally faction to play in tournaments. What is more, coh2 has such a dynamic ballance, that you can never actually tell which faction will be at a tournament condition during next tournament. That is why most good players play all factions.

When it comes to playing at casual level, you need to play at least a few games as each faction every patch just to get what is good and bad about them. It is also a good idea to play the faction you lost to when you lose a game - you can use the strategy of your opponent and learn how other players counter it. Other than that, you can stick to one side or faction without further negative effects to your performance.

There is one more thing to note though. As opposed to starcraft, this game is based on real events. That is why most people who play only one side or faction and advocate for that faction in ballance discussions, do so for political reasons. This means they are completely blind to any logical arguments and thus their voice on forums is hurting the game and its ballance. This is exactly the reason why many players tend to bash players who play only one faction.
14 Nov 2017, 23:11 PM

I am getting sick at tired of idiots telling me "you should play all the factions".

I'm gonna introduce you to a "little" game called StarCraft (both of them). In SC 1 and SC 2, pro gamers and casual gamers stick to ONLY ONE race so that they can master it in time.

I play ONLY AXIS ! I will never touch ally rats. Playing all factions is stupid.

Starcraft allows mirror matches. COH doesn't.

It isn't a big deal, other than when single faction players come here and make a lot of noise demanding "balance".
15 Nov 2017, 00:12 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

There is nothing "wrong" with playing one faction; however it limits your game sense and makes you very biased (seeing gameplay, strategy, and balance solely through the eye of one faction).

I play ONLY AXIS ! I will never touch ally rats. Playing all factions is stupid.

Also, it seems like you do play allies.
15 Nov 2017, 00:19 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

This is why.
15 Nov 2017, 02:16 AM

Nothing wrong with it... just don't expect people to take your balance feedback too seriously. People just say to play all factions because you'll never get a full picture or each side's strengths and weaknesses otherwise.
15 Nov 2017, 04:26 AM

Yeah, as long as you stay quiet about balance, play only axis if you want.
15 Nov 2017, 05:21 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Nov 2017, 04:26 AMboc120
Yeah, as long as you stay quiet about balance, play only axis if you want.

+1

And as long as you stay polite we will help you to improve by reviewing any of your replays :)
15 Nov 2017, 08:04 AM

The point behind playing all the factions is to learn how to deal with stuff from them and get a feel for what the weaknesses/strenghts of all the factions are.

So if you keep losing against Simcity, try out playing Simcity yourself and see what you struggle against.
Point is a deep understanding of all the factions and not get tunnelvisioned by only playing one.

Starcraft pros know all the races in and out, and i played a ton of SC1/SC2 myself and have played all 3 factions for a decent amount of time. I think its not wrong to say that that is valid for most SC1/2 players actually, to have experienced all the factions enough to understand them very well.

What is this SimCity you are talking about?
15 Nov 2017, 08:11 AM
Donator 11

What is this SimCity you are talking about?

Brit emplacement spam?

15 Nov 2017, 08:11 AM

There is nothing "wrong" with playing one faction; however it limits your game sense and makes you very biased (seeing gameplay, strategy, and balance solely through the eye of one faction).

Also, it seems like you do play allies.

A game here and there with Soviets especially now that I got new commanders for the survey, doesn't mean I play allies or like them.

Für das Vaterland !
15 Nov 2017, 08:48 AM

Its a game. It is supposed to be fun, so play as you like.

People on the forum thou tent to act like lawyers trying to turn things personal instead of looking at the validity of claims.
15 Nov 2017, 08:58 AM

If you don't play all factions, on what basis are you suggesting sweeping balance changes that affect both Axis and Allies?
15 Nov 2017, 09:48 AM

If you don't play all factions, on what basis are you suggesting sweeping balance changes that affect both Axis and Allies?

On this basis

15 Nov 2017, 09:48 AM

It's thinking you can still make valid balance claims dispite missing out on atleast 60% of the game.

It doesn't help all one faction players/mains/whatever think their side is weak and the other side is OP.
15 Nov 2017, 11:26 AM
Patrion 15

As mentioned before. It is because of Relic and most of the fans doesn't want mirror matches and that forces the competitive scene to play both factions to be a fairer fight. It also makes the online warriors and casuals to see only one side and never experience other factions "cancer" and therefore making them more bias when talking about balancing.

For these reasons you see people say things like "play all factions" which brings more value to your game by playing with all the content and be more truthful about balance conversations.

I understand like %90 people who play the CoH series are ww2 nerds, (myself included) even in the comp scene. I understand why they don't want mirror matches but I still disagree and in the long run -just in CoH2- it just locks the game so much that you become very limited to actually change things in the gameplay.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★