Login

russian armor

How do I counter mass Penals or Penal Blobs as Ost?

14 Nov 2017, 20:13 PM

Please do tell me because they are OP as fuck.

Thanks
14 Nov 2017, 20:29 PM

I thought you were leaving?

You can always try an MG 42 or two.
14 Nov 2017, 20:31 PM
Donator 11

I think you should decide whether you want a strategy thread (how do I counter) or a ballance one (OP as ...)
14 Nov 2017, 20:33 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Nov 2017, 20:29 PMSwift
I thought you were leaving?

You can always try an MG 42 or two.

But If I make MGs that means I won't have too much infantry and the enemy can just flank my MGs and drop satchel.
14 Nov 2017, 20:48 PM

I think you should decide whether you want a strategy thread (how do I counter) or a ballance one (OP as ...)

Or a scrap yard (post quality) :D

But If I make MGs that means I won't have too much infantry and the enemy can just flank my MGs and drop satchel.

Watch some reviews of top players. For example Sturmpanthers stream. They always reposition their HMGs after each combat, supporting each other and never keeping them in the front lines.

You want to supress the squad with hmg, then let the infantry finish the job. You dont want to position it somewhere in a frontline, waiting for a flank and satchel.

2 Hmgs work fine. I fear it is L2P issue. Try and watch some streams or watch top players replays. You can learn about unit (and mg) micro a lot from it.

Hopefully this post was helpful for you ;)
17 Nov 2017, 17:03 PM

Bit of a soft counter, but if you can get engies behind them to S mine their retreat path, it will cause them hella bleed.

29 Nov 2017, 07:20 AM

Well, G43s won't be viable against them anymore at the new CP level, so it's going to be MG42 spam.

It's easy to say "reposition after each fight" (which you should do with all units, really), but the simple fact of the matter is that no one should be forced to use setup teams, and baseline infantry should be viable against all other baseline infantry, defeating them reliably so long as the user's tactics are better (i.e. sitting in green cover while the Penals run across open ground at your units).

Sadly, this STILL isn't the case, even after YEARS of ongoing Ostheer buffs.

So go full cheese. Garrison everything you have in buildings, build bunkers if need be, and hope to all hell the opponent isn't super competent.

The ONLY light at the end of the tunnel I see is the removal of instant garrisoning/ungarrisoning.

That might just allow some considerable model wipes against Penals... not that there's much reason to garrison them other than to deny your opponent a building.
30 Nov 2017, 21:31 PM

Grens are mostly not really supposed to be spammed on their own, supporting them with MGs is the most fundamental of Ost strats that's why their MG is both strong and easily accessible.

Penals are quite easy to bait into throwing satchels which you can then easily dodge, which only drains your opponents munis. I make a habit out of offering juicey targets making sure I'm ready to reposition very fast.

You can use S mines also to block certain approach routes to prevent being totally outflank and in effect multiply the effect of each MG42. Put them where it's difficult for him to sweep them, ie you have troops close by covering them. Also can put them on 'blind' spots like between hedges or houses which he will be squeezed through as he tries to flank your positions.
30 Nov 2017, 22:14 PM

Penal Openings are generally slow to cap the map initially. Garrisoning key buildings and holding green cover positions defensively can help you inflict greater manpower bleed as your opponent tries to gain map control from you. This can also give you an advantage in veterancy which is key since penals get 60% additional accuracy by vet 3, thats the stat that makes them particularly good.
12 Dec 2017, 23:45 PM

Then focus on your mg micro, attack move is always not a bad option with mgs. I usually play double grens + double mg vs. Soviets just fine. Mass penals isn't great against wehr imo. They will have a hard time if you manage to get a flame 251 on time.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★