Login

russian armor

Best books ?

27 Oct 2017, 21:17 PM

Dont know if this topic already exists, but i'm trying to get some cool books about WW2.

I wanted some in the eyes of a soldier, but if not what are good books in this set era ? With some action at least.
27 Oct 2017, 21:30 PM

Dont know if this topic already exists, but i'm trying to get some cool books about WW2.

I wanted some in the eyes of a soldier, but if not what are good books in this set era ? With some action at least.

Stalingrad: The Fateful Siege, 1942–1943 by Antony Beevor.

Vasily Grossman - Life and Fate.
28 Oct 2017, 15:38 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

You might be helped by this thread, (if you have not already seen it).

COH2 reading list

From a Brit perspective, I can recommend:

With the Jocks - Peter White - but it is a long book.

18 Platoon - Sydney Jary (recommended reading for Sandhurst cadets, apparently)

So few got through - With the Gordon Highlanders from Normandy to the Baltic - Martin Lindsay. Originally published in 1946, and reprinted in 2012. The story of a battalion 2 i.c., who was often commanding the battalion in attack, when his COs were away. This book apparently became mandatory British Army Staff College reading,

Lindsay presents as a highly competent officer. What the book does not say is that Lindsay was a Lt Colonel i.c. 9 Para, until March 1944. 9 Para led the assault on the Merville Battery on 06 June 1944. For more about that, you would have to read The manner of men: 9 PARA's Heroic D-Day Mission

edited to include Lindsay's book
28 Oct 2017, 16:13 PM

Black Edelweiss is a very interesting book, both from a combat memoir and psychological perspective.
28 Oct 2017, 17:16 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

Black Edelweiss is a very interesting book, both from a combat memoir and psychological perspective.

:thumb: Your link just saved me c. $55.00. :)
29 Oct 2017, 17:30 PM

thanks guys i will take a look :)
27 Nov 2017, 15:05 PM

(Most of this is frm memory as I read these decades ago though the Amazon reviews seem to coincide with my memory.)

From the perspective of US officers there are two pretty decent autobiographies that show what it was like to command troops day-to-day:

Company Commander https://www.amazon.com/Company-Commander-Classic-Infantry-Memoir/dp/1580800386

Written right after the war it is written by an inexperienced writer and that shows. It is a bit dry but goes into great detail on the activities and decisions a company commander in the US Army went through; logistics, command, care for the men, etc. The book is written in a very humble manner which is perhaps why it has been required reading in many military academies. The author often gives credit to his men and seldom to himself.

Clay Pigeons of St. Lo;
https://www.amazon.com/Pigeons-Glover-Johns-15-Apr-2002-Paperback/dp/B013J9LEVW/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1511794840&sr=1-4&keywords=clay+pigeons+of+st+lo

This is from the perspective of a US battalion commander. It is interesting to see the difference in perspective in the jump of just one rank. In this, while on the front line, you can tell that there is a greater distance between the commander and the men. While some of this might be a difference in personality, you can also see that as the rank goes up, so does the actual physical proximity to the front lines that is necessary to command essentially 2-3 times the area of the front, as well as having more "HQ" resources to manage.
17 Jan 2018, 14:09 PM

I can advise you on the outstanding novel The Young Lions by Irwin Shaw
https://www.amazon.com/Young-Lions-Irwin-Shaw/dp/0226751295.
This novel about three young soldiers, one German and two Americans, whose fates have come together at a crucial moment near a nameless prison camp located in the heart of Bavaria. Irwin Shaw showed the Great War through the eyes of young guys, ordinary soldiers. Despite the large volume is read quickly and easily.
Also on this student blog, there is an article "Why Did Germany Lose WWII?", in which several recommendations on reading about the Second World War are written.
17 Jan 2018, 14:15 PM
24 Jan 2018, 20:22 PM

Apache: Inside the Cockpit of the World's Most Deadly Fighting Machine
24 Feb 2018, 01:32 AM

i hv a list of pdf books that i found in the net related to ww2 and to warfare in general , its about 30 or 40 i think

i will post here all the books in win rar files , small parts for ez download .

today or tomorrow i will post here the links , cya around .
5 Mar 2018, 20:59 PM

Theres the Liberation Trilogy if you want 3 books about the US involvement in ww2 from Africa to Western Europe
11 Jul 2018, 13:40 PM

The Willing Flesh

Crack of Doom

Both novels by Willie Heinrich.

28 Feb 2019, 21:57 PM

This is my first Volume on the books i have regarding Military History in Winrar format . Its 26 pdf books in this volume .

I will upload the second part soon .

link for download - https://ufile.io/vcur5

its around 800 mgbytes

here are the titles of vol. 1

20 Mar 2019, 23:40 PM

Somme Into the breach by Hugh Sebag-Montefiore,its a WW1 book,still great though
10 Apr 2019, 22:33 PM

I don't know about "best" but I read "Tigers in the Mud" by Otto Carius last summer and I really enjoyed it.

I think it's a really interesting book if you're into tanks and particularly the German Tigers, and Jagdtigers to some extent.
16 Apr 2019, 19:20 PM

I don't know about "best" but I read "Tigers in the Mud" by Otto Carius last summer and I really enjoyed it.

I think it's a really interesting book if you're into tanks and particularly the German Tigers, and Jagdtigers to some extent.

I enjoyed Tigers in the Mud too.

I'd also recommend Panzer Commander by Hans von Luck. His autobiography starts before the war and continues into Russian captivity at the end.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★