Login

russian armor

counter agains soviet heavy mortars

6 Aug 2013, 15:04 PM

Hey guys can I ask you how shoul I counter soviet heavy mortar spam fireing from enemy base? Or at least what shoul I do.
6 Aug 2013, 15:46 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Aug 2013, 15:04 PMBrasi
Hey guys can I ask you how shoul I counter soviet heavy mortar spam fireing from enemy base? Or at least what shoul I do.

If he's got to keep them all the way back in his base in order to keep them safe, then you're probably already in a good position in terms of map control. But in this situation, rather than trying to counter it by killing the mortar squads, maybe just offset its effectiveness by using a halftrack to reinforce your losses without losing map presence. And be sure to move your weapons teams after they've revealed themselves.

7 Aug 2013, 18:03 PM

There's always the german mortar halftrack
10 Aug 2013, 14:26 PM

He's probably talking about the 120mm. On maps like Langeskaya ( which I loooove !) it's possible to have one of those things hug your base wall and still lob random shells throughout the map. I agree with Swiftwin , as I only see a few possible ways to counter:

- mortar half track
- mortar vet counter barrage
15 Aug 2013, 16:52 PM

I can't counter the heavy mortars at all. I outplay them have most of the map then that big mortar ends up killing everything. Was capturing a territory with PGrens and a hit killed the entire squad.

I'm gonna play Soviets for a while see how good German players counter it.
15 Aug 2013, 17:11 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

Especially as said earlier on langres behind the hedge is incredibly powerful as it can almost hit the mid vp.
I've good success with fire barrage from FHT but problem is he can just recrew it if it's in his base.
16 Aug 2013, 00:03 AM

The 120mmm is annoying as hell.
If you're incautious for a blink of an eye that thing might just kill one of your squads in one hit.
I had some success in countering it with a halftrack with Pgrens in it.
I rush them in, kill the crew and even try to destroy the mortar itself.
17 Aug 2013, 00:55 AM

Barrage distance: 120mm is 120 range, while german is 80.

Both do 80 damage. German mortar has a far faster rate of fire (upt to 2-4 x faster), lower cost, faster vertical travel distance and 2/3 of blast radius.

It seems that the german mortar has 'some' chance against the 120mm. It does take more effort than the Soviet player though.

Set up the mortar directly behind a building/obstacle or green cover and place a halftrack nearby (not too close) for reinforce?

Are any of the mortar bulletons worth it? like 3% damage or 3% health. The range doesn't work for barrage (I tested it).
17 Aug 2013, 05:58 AM

The 120mmm is annoying as hell.

Yes it is. For some reason they seem to do extra damage to Pgrens.

Again, the only thing I've seen work reliably is the minute I see a 120mm, I go doctrine and grab a mortar track. From that point on, anytime it flashes a round off on the minimap I pitch an incendiary round on top of it. If the opponent is paying attention he retreats immediately, buying me a fair amount of time, if not it burns to death.

17 Aug 2013, 11:23 AM

The second that thing hits the field you have to double your microing efforts to make sure that no unit in his firing range stands still for any longer than a second.

And I also find that somehow Pgrens seem to magically attract those 120mm shells.

Try constant harassing of the mortar team and force them to redeploy or retreat as often as possible.
18 Aug 2013, 19:09 PM

use your own mortar squad with micro to counterfire his crew (by manually targeting with either barrage or attack ground, not the counterfire ability). Make sure to relocate often.

When he fires you can see what direction his 120 is facing so you can guess who he is firing at (ie. a squad that just newly started capturing one of his points is a good bet). I regularly shift my capping squads to the opposite side of the point after I start if I suspect the enemy will barrage me.

If the mortar is unsupport, run any kind of vehicle or squad up behind it (or a halftrack with pgrens/flamers :D ) and go to town. If nothing else it will have to retreat and buy you freedom of maneuver

EDIT: Actually I have a replay for you. I just posted it and forgot all about it hurrrdurr

In this replay my vet3 82mm regularly decrews and kills 2 hostile 120s and ends up with like 30 kills? Its a close game too so its not a best case scenario... 82s killing 120 is definitely possible

http://www.coh2.org/replays/6971/explosive-slugfest
27 Aug 2013, 17:35 PM

Thanks I wil definitly watch it.
28 Aug 2013, 11:02 AM

Hmm, counter mortar can sometimes work, but it irritates me that 120mm can retreat with one man, while no other mortar can do that.
12 Dec 2016, 13:48 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Aug 2013, 15:04 PMBrasi

You should Fight fire with fire (arty vs arty of course)or tryto rush his base with wirbilwind or anything that is mobile and kills infantry FAST
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 28
Germany 585

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment