Login

russian armor

[1v1] Crossroads OKW vs GB

19 Oct 2017, 14:49 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Welp, I just got back into the game after finishing the first wave of exams, and boy, do I suck. I got into a huge losing streak playing OKW. Also, there was noticeable input lag, don't think it's my connection because other games work perfectly fine.

Either way, I think this was a game I should have won, but I failed to close out the game.

Confessions:
- Howitzer was a waste of MP.
- Miss-clicked Panther and threw it away.

Any other pointers would be welcome.
22 Oct 2017, 03:37 AM
Director of Moderation Badge

I'd love to take a look at this :)
22 Oct 2017, 04:56 AM

I'd say for the 1st 3rd of match you did what I'd expect of a top 200 player. Did well with resource spending, micro and building/denying cover. However after that point it looked like your gameplay and micro began to fatigue almost. Possibly because of to many engagements or to many units. Unsure. Regardless your game suffered.

Couple things I want to go over specifically that will help you with future games.

Red arrows = Bad

Green arrow = Good

Here you pushed into this vickers arc multiple times only to be stopped by it. MGs in trenches are difficult to beat, but since their arc cannot be aimed towards the sides it has a significant weakness. Here your opponet actually lined up that weakness perfectly for you with the hedgegrove. A flank with all your infanty could theoredically push off his infantry and then the machine gun, which would gain you access to both his cutoff and that side of the map for a time.

9:45 - 3 volks arriving mid into many tommies and not being micro'd. Possibly due to engagement on right, but that ended relativly quickly. Lost a lot of manpower and gave significant veterancy.

This should improve with micro as well as shaking off the rust you mentioned. However if you don't use the tactical map or control groups I suggest you do. They're not required as some top players do not use these, but I find them to be invaluable when allowing for faster micro and map awareness.

Early AT: When you saw his AEC on the field all you had against it was a luchs potentially and volks. You were building your MG34 at the time it was revealed to you. I would make a raketen immediatly after the MG34 or just stop the MG production to make it so you can effectivly defend your luchs. Going mechanized as OKW as your 1st tech choice relies heavily on the luchs being successful. If you lose it your momentum takes a nose dive.

Manpower float: spend it unless you're saving your popcap for a unit you want to fill it with. You were losing the infantry war for the majority of the game. Out numbered and outmatched by tommies, and REs I would've highly suggested Obersoldaten once your T4 went up. Although under veted at first, they can do some heavy lifting lategame. Not to mention the bundle grenade or frangible utility.

Although I wouldn't call the howitzer a waste of manpower, it probably wasn't the best choice at the time. However it did at least kill the mortar pit. Again obers would have been my prefered. Or even an ISG. Speaking of ISGs, you teched your T1 VERY late. I wouldn't recommend that as medics are a worthwhile investment. Although many of your infantry self heal at vet 3, team weapons and sturms do not.

Mines: I don't recall seeing mines from you the entire game. Schu mines can and should be used to protect your luchs early, and can be used later to protect choke points, tech bases, LeFH etc. I would've also loved to see S-mines and potentially MG42 bunkers on flanks. Even just single S-mine patches in choke points randomly around the map can screw with your opponet and force bleed if he isn't careful. At 15 munitions per square as well.

Panther: I'm sure you know some mistakes you made with your panther, however I didn't see you pop combat blitz when you were in a bind. This gives a speed boost yes, but it also gives MAJOR stat boosts. +100% to accuracy, as well as a RA bonus. Plus the speed makes scatter shots less likely to hit if you're moving faster. Bonuses like this are worthwhile even if you're just standing still. I use combat blitz in this manor all the time just give my tanks the edge in accuracy and RA.

I'd avoid diving with the panther against churchills just because of the major HP pool vs the RoF of the panther. It simply just takes to long for the panther to kill a churchill to dive it without the chance to kill it. JP4s are the optimal choice against churchill variants although panthers and KTs can work.

Those are major points you should take away from this. There are smaller things like sending your infantry out against tanks when you have no AT and just makes you bleed when you're trying to save for the KT, but those don't usually happen every game. However just remember that there is not point in fighting if you don't gain anything from winning.

If you have any questions, comments or concerns do not hesitate to ask.

ShadowLinkX37
22 Oct 2017, 06:12 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Awesome stuff

If I understood correctly, these are the main points:

1. Flank better. Make deeper flanks, especially because OKW has no offensive smoke.

2. Get proper anti-vehicle hard counters earlier to support your units, don't rely on Panzerfausts.

3. Getting an leIG or two would have defeated the mortar pit in a less MP-intensive, and have more overall impact (e.g. against the trench, against ATGs, against the highly static Brit infantry)

4. Plant more mines.

5. Use tanks with low RoF (Panther, Heavies) defensively, against Churchills.

I have a couple questions:

- When would it become a good investment to get an leFH? If the Brit player goes full sim city?

- If I had invested in a PaK 43 instead, would that have been a good idea?

- When should you tech T1? Before Schwerer or after?
22 Oct 2017, 20:05 PM

If I understood correctly, these are the main points:

1. Flank better. Make deeper flanks, especially because OKW has no offensive smoke.

I wouldn't neccessarily say "flank better" just look for flanks of opportunity. Like trenches give you that opportunity. And with deep flanks if you can win an engagement with volks and get your sturms deep behind enemy lines. That's almost guaranteed wipe if he doesn't know the sturms are there.

2. Get proper anti-vehicle hard counters earlier to support your units, don't rely on Panzerfausts.

I'd agree with that. It's just an unneccesary risk. You can rely on fausts for a few minutes, but if he catches you while you're retreating and you don't have a defense ready, you could lose your light vehicle and your momentum.

3. Getting an leIG or two would have defeated the mortar pit in a less MP-intensive, and have more overall impact (e.g. against the trench, against ATGs, against the highly static Brit infantry)

Yup :D Leigs arn't the greatest but when you can just set them by your schwer and let them go AFK they're just free micro harrassment. Pretty BS imo. Howitzers are good sometimes but you REALLY need to get your worth out of it. I think i'd only use an LeFH against sim city.

4. Plant more mines.

Always :D

5. Use tanks with low RoF (Panther, Heavies) defensively, against Churchills.

Basically. Captialize if you can but your opponet is going to have to be really slow on his micro if a panther is soloing a churchill. Takes around 70 seconds for a panther to deal with a churchill and that's without missing and always penning.

I have a couple questions:

- When would it become a good investment to get an leFH? If the Brit player goes full sim city?

Sure but still LeIG can work

- If I had invested in a PaK 43 instead, would that have been a good idea?

Potentially. I saw you accidentally build it instead of the LeFH at first XD, and then you tried later when you were being rushed when you probably just could've called in a KT. The Pak 43 is situational because it cannot move which means indirect is fantastic against it. Fortunatly brits have absolutely garbage indirect for 1v1. Brit pit is too expensive and mattress is doctrinal. So yes it can potentially work. I highly recommend shot blockers as well for the 43 since it has interdimensional shells.

- When should you tech T1? Before Schwerer or after?

Personally I get it ASAP after my luchs comes out. Faster healing means less bleed. Due to the amount of fuel you usually fall behind since you don't have linear tech though so you often get forced into command panther. That's one of the comeback pieces you can use as OKW. Otherwise it's raketens till you can get your schwer up and get a vehicle.

If you have any questions, comments or concerns do not hesitate to ask.

ShadowLinkX37
23 Oct 2017, 00:19 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

More awesome stuff

Thanks for your time! It really helped my a lot. :D
23 Oct 2017, 09:04 AM

Panther: I'm sure you know some mistakes you made with your panther, however I didn't see you pop combat blitz when you were in a bind. This gives a speed boost yes, but it also gives MAJOR stat boosts. +100% to accuracy, as well as a RA bonus. Plus the speed makes scatter shots less likely to hit if you're moving faster. Bonuses like this are worthwhile even if you're just standing still. I use combat blitz in this manor all the time just give my tanks the edge in accuracy and RA.

ShadowLinkX37

I apologize for interrupting this exchange, but this is very interesting and complete news to me that the combat blitz also gives significant accuracy bonus!

Could you tell me if this works the same for the whermacht blitz and potentially also for the UKF combat speed?
23 Oct 2017, 13:57 PM

I apologize for interrupting this exchange, but this is very interesting and complete news to me that the combat blitz also gives significant accuracy bonus!

Could you tell me if this works the same for the whermacht blitz and potentially also for the UKF combat speed?

Wher - Blitzkrieg -25% received accuracy, +35% speed, +60% acceleration.(*-25% received accuracy, +15% speed, +30% acceleration for Tiger and Panther tanks ONLY)

OKW - Combat Blitz +100% accuracy, -50% received accuracy, +40% speed.

UKF - Emergency War Speed -25% received accuracy, +15% speed, +30% acceleration.

IIRC War Speed used to be a copy-paste of Blitzkrieg but they nerfed it

The Ability Guide here has a lot of useful information https://www.coh2.org/guides/52852/the-coh2-ability-guide
23 Oct 2017, 19:02 PM

EtherealDragon's post is correct. I assume the stats are at least from the ability guide. But he is correct that EWS used to be a copy paste of blitzkrieg but was nerfed due to the free cost.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★