Login

russian armor

Grens Vs Tommies

5 Oct 2017, 23:57 PM

Greetings all,

Firs post here - Steam forums full of trolls. So lets get down to it.

I know the game won't be getting any real updates so kind of pointless to talk about balance. With that in mind, I rather talk about tips to help grens win vs tommies. To better comprehend where I am going with this, it is in regards to one of my past matches. I had 3 vet 3 grens with lmg's in light cover vs two tommies (5 man squad) with double brens. Focusing fire with all 3 grens onto one Tommie squad, I managed make one squad retreat (2/5) I was only down to one gren fighting (3/4) as I had to make the others fall back. Idk if this is just bad RNG, but it makes winning the battle quite hard.

Note: I did not mention support units, because I do not want them mentioned really because things get off topic. Because of course support units would be taking part in battle (sniper mortars etc) but in situations as mentioned above, sometimes you don't always have a tank or support units near by.

Would it just be better to avoid them and move to other areas, get a flame pio to take up the damage, mayhap go G43?

Thoughts?
6 Oct 2017, 00:39 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Generally, LMG42 Grenadiers are inferior to 5-man Double Bren Infantry Sections. From the resource input perspective (240MP + 60MU vs 280MP + 120MU + side-tech investment) it's normal that IS pack a bigger punch. Therefore, in engagements you have to outnumber him 2 to 1. For course, use your Rifle Grenades to for him to reposition.

G43 Grens aren't too strong against IS, because you have to close in and the IS will just stand there and shred you.

However, I'd suggest bringing in the support. Grenadiers are the backbone of the WM, but WM is all about support.
- Snipers are great, because they directly remove a model from the fight. However they require you to have excellent micro.
- Mortars are great, because the Brits are heavily cover-reliant and generally static; your mortar will either directly win you engagements or force him to reposition constantly. However they need to be protected in the backline.
- HMG42s are great, because they provide suppression (reduces their DPS) and it has tremendous amounts of firepower all by itself. However it can be outflanked.
- Flamer Pios are great, because the Brits love heavy cover and garrisons, and flamers are a hard counter to those. However they melt quickly when focused.
6 Oct 2017, 16:59 PM

As with most things with Brits, grens ability to fight IS has more to do with the British player than you.

IS in cover win, IS out of cover lose. Since british infantry get offensive bonuses for being in cover you must keep this in mind. IS are effective at all ranges in cover, and ineffective at all ranges out of cover.

For this reason you kind of have to throw out the notion of effective ranges against british infantry and focus on manipulating their access to cover.

Flamethrowers, indirect fire, grenades, and snipers do this rather well.

Mg42s are effective so long as they're used to prevent the IS getting into position/cover. As the late game goes on and the map fills with craters, this role doesn't scale well. (And why british infantry scale so well lategame, regardless of bolster.)
13 Oct 2017, 12:49 PM
Admin Red  Badge

Generally, LMG42 Grenadiers are inferior to 5-man Double Bren Infantry Sections. From the resource input perspective (240MP + 60MU vs 280MP + 120MU + side-tech investment) it's normal that IS pack a bigger punch. Therefore, in engagements you have to outnumber him 2 to 1. For course, use your Rifle Grenades to for him to reposition.

G43 Grens aren't too strong against IS, because you have to close in and the IS will just stand there and shred you.

However, I'd suggest bringing in the support. Grenadiers are the backbone of the WM, but WM is all about support.
- Snipers are great, because they directly remove a model from the fight. However they require you to have excellent micro.
- Mortars are great, because the Brits are heavily cover-reliant and generally static; your mortar will either directly win you engagements or force him to reposition constantly. However they need to be protected in the backline.
- HMG42s are great, because they provide suppression (reduces their DPS) and it has tremendous amounts of firepower all by itself. However it can be outflanked.
- Flamer Pios are great, because the Brits love heavy cover and garrisons, and flamers are a hard counter to those. However they melt quickly when focused.

This post sums it up quite well.

May I add that mortars have the advantage of not being exposed to countersnipers thus being a less riskier investment and having the ability to ignore line of sight blockading obstacles while dealing damage unlike snipers. Be careful about hostile indirect fire sources (especially Mortar Pit) and doctrinal Commandos spawning in buildings (always check British Regiment loadout).

When you call a sniper to battle be aware that your 222 and 251 HT have access to a veterancy 1 ability that exposes hostile infantry on the minimap. This allows you to spot countersnipers in a certain radius.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★