Login

russian armor

How to use the B4 203mm effectively?

15 Sep 2017, 02:36 AM

Hi guys,
I'm trying to use the Counter Attack Tactic Commander. I think it's one of the most interesting Soviet Commanders, you have Shocks, recon, bombing run and even a very solid tank the KV1. The core of this Commander is the B4 203mm, a very impressive gun and I really like the look and the sound of it :D. But problem is, its pop cap is too high AND it's just too random. The damage it deals is not as consistent as the 150mm gun and since you need 20 popcap when building it, it left you little room to build a strong army late game.

So what should I do to effectively use this Commander? Build orders, counter counter-play (such as Stuka), positioning... Any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you!
15 Sep 2017, 06:54 AM

B4 is more accurate when it fires at a visible place and not into the Fog of War
15 Sep 2017, 09:24 AM

The B4 can be unreliable as you say, however this can be mitigated if you take certain steps. try and place it so that it covers certain approaches to your side of the map, where tanks are likely to come. The target vehicle ability of the B4 is one of it's best features, it can pretty much nuke any medium in one shot (sometimes the tank has to be slightly damaged). Also don't build too many, max like two, cus as you say they have high pop cap. the inaccuracy doesn't matter if the target is really close, so try and use that as an advantage. Personally I try to use it as an anti heavy tank gun, taking pot shots at enemy units until it reaches vet one and then saving it for when the big cats come
15 Sep 2017, 15:30 PM

I think this was changed but it used to be commonplace to molotov the b4 crews to free up that pop cap. IIRC the popcap is all in the original crew, so recrewing with conscripts freed up a lot of popcap.
21 Sep 2017, 12:51 PM

The core of this Commander is the B4 203mm

Allow me to correct you there! The core of the counterattack commander is the "for mother Russia" ability, allowing you to use the inevitable soviet munitions float to turn your shocktroopers and penals into literal bulletproof terminators on a regular basis. Knowing when and how to use this is the bread and butter of the doctrine.

I think this was changed but it used to be commonplace to molotov the b4 crews to free up that pop cap. IIRC the popcap is all in the original crew, so recrewing with conscripts freed up a lot of popcap.

I'm going to test this tonight against a CPU. If that is true it would be nothing short of amazing!
21 Sep 2017, 15:33 PM

The core of the counterattack commander is the "for mother Russia" ability, allowing you to use the inevitable soviet munitions float to turn your shocktroopers and penals into literal bulletproof terminators on a regular basis.

Have to disagree there. For mother Russia is amazing, but it does not offer you the potential returns that a properly used B4 can, and even the Soviets can't constantly drop 150 muni. You can use FMR all you want, that ability will never kill a medium tank or critically damage heavy. On smaller maps is very possible to kill repairing Heavies if you can spot for the B4 and tighten the scatter.
21 Sep 2017, 15:36 PM

You cant, you just use the b4 for memes
21 Sep 2017, 18:12 PM

Have to disagree there. For mother Russia is amazing, but it does not offer you the potential returns that a properly used B4 can, and even the Soviets can't constantly drop 150 muni. You can use FMR all you want, that ability will never kill a medium tank or critically damage heavy. On smaller maps is very possible to kill repairing Heavies if you can spot for the B4 and tighten the scatter.

However I will almost always find myself with a spare 150 munis at some point in a match, whereas a spare 600 mp, 60 fuel and one fifth of my combined pop cap can be a bit more difficult to pull out of the war chest.
21 Sep 2017, 22:40 PM

You fire into visible locations and pray to rngesus.
22 Sep 2017, 07:38 AM

FYI

FMR costs 100 munis, not 150.
22 Sep 2017, 09:56 AM

FYI

FMR costs 100 munis, not 150.

I seemed to recall that was the price, but I wasn't in a position to confirm at the time of my response. That price makes just makes the infantry heavy meta of the soviets even better.
22 Sep 2017, 12:35 PM

I seemed to recall that was the price, but I wasn't in a position to confirm at the time of my response. That price makes just makes the infantry heavy meta of the soviets even better.

Just wanted to correct you guys, nothing else :)
22 Sep 2017, 12:49 PM

Best way to use the B4?

Get an ML20)))
6 Oct 2017, 23:12 PM

Double shocks with FMR, flank their squads and support weapons, wipe their army :D

When firing B4, pre turn it to where you expect you may need to fire it, its much quicker to get a shot off if it doesnt need to turn.
7 Oct 2017, 00:36 AM

Best usage of b4 is avoiding build it.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 47
Germany 33

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %