Login

russian armor

open space in maps

13 Sep 2017, 19:11 PM

how do you make open space look good in maps. I have this so far but not sure what else to add to make it look good but not the same through out!
14 Sep 2017, 02:34 AM

Scorch splats and vehicle tracks are always an option.

Splats and splines can offer a whole lot of variation on an open space without affecting terrain or gameplay, with notable exceptions (craters, road_asphalt, etc).

Utilizing transparency and color as well as size and rotation can give you a lot of potential variations.

By the way, what you have going looks great so far. I've always liked that broken cobblestone spline you're using on the road, I just never end up using it myself.

Without more context of your overall designs for the map, I can't really offer a whole lot outside general advice.
14 Sep 2017, 05:06 AM

I've can give you a few tips on what needs to be placed and the motive behind these open space.

1. What do you want to primary focus these open space on? Infantry heavy with mortar, mg placement before tanks and arty flatten the area or bit maze like area that tanks can only move on certain lain?

2. What is the theme of the map? Is it like 4v4's City 17's West fuel area where there's a huge open patch that primary able to control from mg and mortar? Or 2v2 Crossing in the Wood's open river area with negative cover, hiding behind with mortar emplacement to control the area? Or just with fence and farming tools placing around the munition area like Hamlet map?

If you can get these in with what sort of theme and what is the focus on the battle on your map, you can slowly play around with a set amount of asset tools to put it in.
14 Sep 2017, 10:59 AM

I've can give you a few tips on what needs to be placed and the motive behind these open space.

thanks for the tips man :)
14 Sep 2017, 11:02 AM

Without more context of your overall designs for the map, I can't really offer a whole lot outside general advice.

I'm tying to make a Stalingrad type map and the location has a big open square in the middle of a few buildings.

thanks for the tips and comments!
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS