Login

russian armor

Possible for Soviets to get a mine like Riegel/M5?

2 Aug 2017, 04:47 AM

Well, this is assuming Relic will release/rework commanders, which is probably not likely seeing as we seem to be near the end of coh2's cycle. I don't know, one can hope.

Anyhow, the m5 and Riegel are both very powerful because they completely stick a tank; however this is balanced by their decent cost (60mu) , laying time (half the match), and the fact that only the M20 and SdKfz 251 can lay them, forcing you to build a unit you normally might not actually need (although flamer HT is almost mandatory vs Brits) and not being able to just lay mines with your engineers while the vehicle does vehicle things it wants to do elsewhere.

What would a Soviet doctrine with an equivalent mine look like? And what vehicle would you lay it from?

Obvious answer to the second question would probably be the M5 halftrack to match the SdKfz 251. I have no idea if this would be possible to animate this though.

And the rest of the doctrine would probably have to be pretty dogshit, kind of like how both the doctrines with the Riegel mine in them are quite out of meta. However it could be kind of like the Jaeger Armor doctrine where it's pretty pointless in 1v1 but incredibly powerful in team games. This will never happen, but my wet dream hypothetical doctrine would be:

2 cp: The M5 halftrack can lay our hypothetical mine.

4 cp: Recon Overflight. Pretty standard stuff.

more cps later: IL-2 bombing Run. Recon+IL-2 is basically the Recon+Stuka, although the IL-2 costs a good amount more. I don't remember the name of the doctrine right now, but this combo already exists. That doctrine also has Guards and an ML-20 in it. Also you can do the same bombo combo of Riegel+Stuka, instead with tank immobilized by hypothetical mine says hello to four FAB-40 bombs delivered by IL-2.

15 cp: ISU-152

Imo this would help not feel so bad playing as Soviet in teamgames because you'd have a roundabout way of dealing with heavy armor in the lategame instead of having to completely rely on a Brit teammate for heavy tankbusting. 4 soviets vs. anything is suffering unless you win hard early on and get to spam t-34/85s but anyhow.

2 Aug 2017, 15:09 PM

Soviets are not meant to have a super easy time vs heavies, they are strong enough in many other respects.

IS2 and IL2 strafe and also spam 34/85s with Mark target probably being the best, but both these sacrifice any doctrinal indirect fire.

Axis however are supposed to have pretty strong AT capabilities, so it's not surprising to find extra abilities like that in their doctrines.

But where Werh does have strong AT (example Riegel, Ele + stuka bomb), they lack the strong inf counters.

It's asymmetric balance.

Soviets real counterpart to Riegel is demo charge. Werh would fucking die to get hold of demo charge.
2 Aug 2017, 15:32 PM

Soviets are not meant to have a super easy time vs heavies, they are strong enough in many other respects.

IS2 and IL2 strafe and also spam 34/85s with Mark target probably being the best, but both these sacrifice any doctrinal indirect fire.

Axis however are supposed to have pretty strong AT capabilities, so it's not surprising to find extra abilities like that in their doctrines.

But where Werh does have strong AT (example Riegel, Ele + stuka bomb), they lack the strong inf counters.

It's asymmetric balance.

Soviets real counterpart to Riegel is demo charge. Werh would fucking die to get hold of demo charge.

Ah, you're right about the demo.

Stuka divebomb is an absolute terror against infantry, especially support weapons.

I know mark target and t-34 spam is technically the best way but I always get flashebacks of a 1 health Jadgtiger/ELefant limping away from burning wrecks of t-34s everywhere.
2 Aug 2017, 16:20 PM

Uh... wasn't immobilization crit removed from all mines?

Or I was getting it wrong all this time and stripped myself from this portion of fun?
2 Aug 2017, 16:36 PM

Relic wont add anything to coh2 anymore :/

And no, riegels and m6 mines are not balanced, mines are only supossed to prevent flanks, inmobilize and the damage they deal is unbalanced, riegels, m6 mines and tellers need to go.

Ps: they are m6 mines, no m5
2 Aug 2017, 16:50 PM

Sure, can Ostheer have demolition charges?
2 Aug 2017, 17:01 PM

Uh... wasn't immobilization crit removed from all mines?

Or I was getting it wrong all this time and stripped myself from this portion of fun?

Nope m6 and riegels still immobilize. Great when you get a kt with one.
3 Aug 2017, 02:19 AM

Ps: they are m6 mines, no m5

m6 mines are the ones you have by default on Royal Engineers, and on Riflemen through doctrine. Those are the ones that are basically same as TM-35/Schu. m5 is the one you get from the M20 car.
3 Aug 2017, 03:23 AM
Developer Relic Badge

And no, riegels and m6 mines are not balanced, mines are only supossed to prevent flanks, inmobilize and the damage they deal is unbalanced, riegels, m6 mines and tellers need to go.

I don't get how that is wrong. Those mines are specifically designed for AV work. The immobilization mines also either cost more with limited planters (M20 Mines) or deal less damage (Riegals).
3 Aug 2017, 03:44 AM

I don't get how that is wrong. Those mines are specifically designed for AV work. The immobilization mines also either cost more with limited planters (M20 Mines) or deal less damage (Riegals).

Because they are no brainer mines, you just click on the floor and kaboom, goodbye any light vehicle and gl saving a inmovilized vehicle, gg ez, i tought we agreed that all the one shot kill abilities must go from the game
3 Aug 2017, 06:15 AM

Because they are no brainer mines, you just click on the floor and kaboom, goodbye any light vehicle

To be completely fair this applies to Teller mines too.

It's true that saving a completely immobilized vehicle is almost impossible if you don't have repairers nearby right as it hits the mine since it can't even limp away (ironically, it's easy as USF as long as the vehicle crew is Vet 1).

However most of the time mines are put down to cover flanks so generally when you hit a mine you're in kind of deep anyhow, often limping away won't actually change anything as AT comes rushing in.

I've never really had much of a gripe of hitting a normal mine vs. a riegel/m5 but maybe I haven't been playing long enough/against good enough players.
3 Aug 2017, 06:39 AM

To be completely fair this applies to Teller mines too.

It's true that saving a completely immobilized vehicle is almost impossible if you don't have repairers nearby right as it hits the mine since it can't even limp away (ironically, it's easy as USF as long as the vehicle crew is Vet 1).

However most of the time mines are put down to cover flanks so generally when you hit a mine you're in kind of deep anyhow, often limping away won't actually change anything as AT comes rushing in.

I've never really had much of a gripe of hitting a normal mine vs. a riegel/m5 but maybe I haven't been playing long enough/against good enough players.

If you read my first post i said that tellers need to go too and thats true, mines are meant to prevent flanks, and normal mines like the soviet, ukf and okw do, they dont need to destroy the vehicle in 1 hit or inmobilize. In 1v1 you rarely see riegels due the commanders that have the riegel are not useful in 1v1, maybe in teamgames where you can see the Elephant commander that has the spotting scopes and the stuka dive bomb but you rarely see the use of riegels also because the halftrack is not a highly uses unit, but in 1v1 is really common to lose your AEC, Stuart, m20, AA Halftrack, t70 to a teller or your 222, luchs to a m6 mine.

And it is a m6 mine, you can check on the game or in the coh2 stats page http://www.stat.coh2.hu/weapon.php?filename=m20_m6_mine_mp
3 Aug 2017, 16:13 PM

And it is a m6 mine, you can check on the game or in the coh2 stats page http://www.stat.coh2.hu/weapon.php?filename=m20_m6_mine_mp

Wait am I just going crazy or what? I can't play right now but I could've sworn the m6 mine is the tm-35 clone you can lay with infantry, and the m5 is the one you get from the m20...
3 Aug 2017, 17:06 PM

Wait am I just going crazy or what? I can't play right now but I could've sworn the m6 mine is the tm-35 clone you can lay with infantry, and the m5 is the one you get from the m20...

That's because the description of the M20 mine calls it an "M5" mine, which is complete nonsense. The M5 mine is the weaker AT mine Riflemen can put down doctrinally. The game game correctly calls the mine the Brits use an M6 mine, but claims that it is an improved M5 mine, which is again complete bogus. But hey, this is the company that introduced a unit called "Obersoldaten"...

If you read my first post i said that tellers need to go too and thats true, mines are meant to prevent flanks, and normal mines like the soviet, ukf and okw do, they dont need to destroy the vehicle in 1 hit or inmobilize. In 1v1 you rarely see riegels due the commanders that have the riegel are not useful in 1v1, maybe in teamgames where you can see the Elephant commander that has the spotting scopes and the stuka dive bomb but you rarely see the use of riegels also because the halftrack is not a highly uses unit, but in 1v1 is really common to lose your AEC, Stuart, m20, AA Halftrack, t70 to a teller or your 222, luchs to a m6 mine.

Mines are highly situational and easily countered, if you lose a vehicle to a mine, you did something wrong, end of story. Unlike demo charges, mines stop working as soon as they are spotted by minesweepers, so even if you can't immediately disarm a mine, the mine doesn't pose a threat for the time being anymore - again, a demo charge still works, and since Pioneers have to basically sit on top of that thing to kill it, a demo charge is still a threat even when discovered.

And then you are also factually wrong about the Riegelmine, because it doesn't have enough damage to destroy the current version of the T-70 (320 damage vs. 400 health). That means even against light vehicles, you need either an additional Panzerfaust to kill them, or an AT gun - which means the mine works only slightly better against light vehicles than a Soviet TM-35, for a significantly higher cost.
3 Aug 2017, 17:49 PM

That's because the description of the M20 mine calls it an "M5" mine, which is complete nonsense. The M5 mine is the weaker AT mine Riflemen can put down doctrinally. The game game correctly calls the mine the Brits use an M6 mine, but claims that it is an improved M5 mine, which is again complete bogus. But hey, this is the company that introduced a unit called "Obersoldaten"...

Mines are highly situational and easily countered, if you lose a vehicle to a mine, you did something wrong, end of story. Unlike demo charges, mines stop working as soon as they are spotted by minesweepers, so even if you can't immediately disarm a mine, the mine doesn't pose a threat for the time being anymore - again, a demo charge still works, and since Pioneers have to basically sit on top of that thing to kill it, a demo charge is still a threat even when discovered.

And then you are also factually wrong about the Riegelmine, because it doesn't have enough damage to destroy the current version of the T-70 (320 damage vs. 400 health). That means even against light vehicles, you need either an additional Panzerfaust to kill them, or an AT gun - which means the mine works only slightly better against light vehicles than a Soviet TM-35, for a significantly higher cost.

Mines are not highly situational, as you can see in the second game of the gcs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RE2lL0Y-sM luvnest put a decent amount of schu mines, making the sweep of all of them almost imposible. You dont need to defuse the demo, you can kill it by clicking on attack move on them so you dont need to stay close to them.

And i didnt say that we need to remove mines, i just said that mines need to stop 1 shooting vehicles and inmobilizing. And yeah, the riegel doesnt 1 shot some of the light vehicles but it still inmobilizes and a bigger problem is the teller that 1 shots all the light vehicles and its non doctrinal, the m20 mine not only 1 shots light vehicles but also inmobilizes. Mines are a cool concept but i think all the factions need to have a non doctrinal mine that does the same

And also may i see your playercard please?
5 Aug 2017, 16:07 PM

If I'm not mistaken, brit engies lay a modified M6 mine. Though I guess someone could open the game and check. I would but rage uninstalled after 6000th m3 flamer car and penal blab.

Also, I agree with Luciano that the tread-break AT mines need to go from all factions. I don't think anything should be so punishing when there's very little difference in price and difficulty to lay them.

Not totally sure about Tellers though, since Ost have no early light tank and are much more vulnerable to lights than every other faction. Seems fair they should have something to balance things up in the light vehicle game. But not sure.

Anyone see Barton replay where mines+demos one-shotted tanks? Ugh.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS