Login

russian armor

120 mm Soviet counter

17 Jul 2017, 16:37 PM

Hi guys,i just wanted some tips for countering the 120 mm soviet mortar as wehrmacht.I tried building my own mortar i just got oneshoted by it.Tried rushing it by inf. but he had 2 maxims covering it.Any tips are welcome :p
17 Jul 2017, 18:32 PM

with ur mortar have them shoot smoke on top or in front of his mgs. then have all ur assault infantry rush while smoke is active. make sure u attack in a very spread out line incase smoke fades out so u wont get blob pinned. flank the mgs and ur good, u can try get a 222 or flame half track also.
17 Jul 2017, 18:51 PM

Good luck killing it as it can retreat with one man lol.
17 Jul 2017, 19:33 PM

with ur mortar have them shoot smoke on top or in front of his mgs. then have all ur assault infantry rush while smoke is active. make sure u attack in a very spread out line incase smoke fades out so u wont get blob pinned. flank the mgs and ur good, u can try get a 222 or flame half track also.

If the Soviet player isn't brain dead he'll retreat the mortar once he sees the smoke, and MGs.
17 Jul 2017, 22:06 PM

If the Soviet player isn't brain dead he'll retreat the mortar once he sees the smoke, and MGs.

In which case you have gained map control, which you should use to your advantage. Ideally that includes capture points, otherwise it will mean you will have made a dent in his frontline that you should use to manoeuvre a spearhead into his flanks.
18 Jul 2017, 08:54 AM

In which case you have gained map control, which you should use to your advantage. Ideally that includes capture points, otherwise it will mean you will have made a dent in his frontline that you should use to manoeuvre a spearhead into his flanks.

I dont think he means hard retreat i think he means softretreating
18 Jul 2017, 16:50 PM

I think this one deserves a State Office before it gets swarmed by balance bias
19 Jul 2017, 13:16 PM
Patrion 15

Moved to the Strat Desk by Request of Hector.
20 Jul 2017, 06:33 AM

Try flammenhalftrack against soviet weapon team play as only guards and zis can harm you and t70 comes much later if you rush the flammehalftrack.

Also giving us a replay where you failed to win against 120mm ould help us as there are too many factors that need to be taken in mind, like map control play, build order and so on.
20 Jul 2017, 09:53 AM

Moved to the Strat Desk by Request of Hector.
However, it is still a valid balance problem.
20 Jul 2017, 10:06 AM

In the current version of Fall Balance Patch, even OKW will struggle vs this because ISGs will have less auto-fire- and barrage- range than 120mm mortar which is out of scope.

120mm spam might become the new soviet teamgame meta if this unit stays out of scope.
20 Jul 2017, 10:12 AM
Patrion 15

It may be, but the OP asked for tips on how to counter it.
20 Jul 2017, 10:33 AM

It may be, but the OP asked for tips on how to counter it.
True, sorry. I read his post again and he was directly asking for help.
20 Jul 2017, 18:31 PM

Playercard please. How can someone without name=skill judge what is and what isnt a balance problem.
25 Jul 2017, 00:13 AM

If its a real problem for you, a hard counter would be the mortar half track, use the incendiary shell when you know its just moved or started a barrage, then make sure to move the MHT before a deadly 120mm lands on it.

You could consider popping some Storm troopers out of a building and using bundled nade, if there is a convenient building and you like to use Tiger Ace doc.

Or ideally you could use any of the above to counter the MGs, and rush in with inf. Obviously simply de-crewing it will only cost him time and manpower, so its best to follow up with some kind of attack.

If you are really suffering to soviet team weapons, you could consider the Luftwaffe doctrine for the incendiary off map drop.
25 Jul 2017, 00:39 AM

Use the barrage ability of the OST mortar and shift queue with move command. Make sure the models are not clumped together. Do this until you kill it. If you take damage just retreat, reinforce and do it again. I know it's not fun but it's the only way.
Don't try to rush it, you will lose to much MP.
Mortar HT it will cost you fuel and munitions so i don't recommend, it's also very easy to lose.
31 Jul 2017, 19:23 PM
Admin Red  Badge

If we talk about 1v1 then you should consider purchasing Flame HT and push aggressively. Keep minesweepers next to your Flame HT to avoid hazardous mines. I think purchasing one defensive mortar is fine to counter maxims. Keep your mortar out of 120mm's range which could lead to 120mm's relocation closer to the frontline thus making it more susceptible to your pushes.

If we talk about team games your OKW mate will help you out with Walking Stuka.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 23
Germany 1
Germany 690

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak