Login

russian armor

Playing as USF is unfun anymore

8 Jun 2017, 14:29 PM

This is going to be a rant, and yes I played USF a lot in 1v1, not anymore now 1 week after the patch.

Ok, so where do I begin, oh yes right now I do not feel any semblance of fun anymore playing this faction in any mode after the patch. It feels like I'm playing pre-WBP Wehr most of the time. Kubel cheese into Panzerfuss strat that is picking up lately is seriously as cancerous as the Penal>M3>DSHKA>Sherman strat Penal Lease Union is currently used. My Rifles die like flies, I lose map control, OKW gains 90% of the map if played correctly and it then snowballs catastrophically. Against Wehr, once you meet better players sniper plays will be a lot more prominent and USF is helpless against well-microed sniper without diving with an M20. With UKF/Sov you can counter snipe reliably and the sniper is less effective against Sov's 6 man squads. Gooooooodd fucking luck flanking the sniper in time to kill it and if you fail you throw even more MP into the dustbin. Snipers will ravage you senseless all game.

USF's other problem also comes with the lack of powerful light vehicles, Relic always wanted USF to be strong start/mid, with hard tapering off at late. Right now, I can tell you that without the M20, most USF players wouldn't even consider light vehicles worth it this patch. Granted, the Stuart was OP, but now if I play OKW and I go against Stuart I just laugh and straight up ignore it because its AI is so garbage. The only reason Stuart is fielded is solely for AT duty and stun shot on mediums later on, hell you can even do even better just skipping it, put double zooks on RE and rush Shermans(or if you're feeling cancerous, go M20/Stuart combo into Armor Company callins). Mortars are also wrongly nerfed as I always stated that USF can go without a damaging mortar, just a long range smoke canister is enough. Add that to its pathetic range and buggy smoke barrage I just skip it in favour of more Rifles. Not to mention that USF still has no answer to MGs in stone buildings without blowing 45 muni to what, damage its health by 25%? LUL. Playing USF now is an uphill battle all game and if you didn't win by the 30 min mark, well enjoy a slow painful death against OKW vet and armor.

Extra mention goes to maps that have a huge middle finger to USF like Langreskaya/Crossing for having wipe open maps and Lost Glider due to having stone buildings covering the fuel left and right side having no blind spots at all, oh if you do, I hope you chose docs with flamers because if not enjoy wasting 90+ muni to flush them out. Hell, everytime I choose USF I remember that Penals are better than Riflemen and they don't even need BARs to compete with STG,LMG Grens anyway LMAO. Oh and non-doc flamers, thank you Soviets.
8 Jun 2017, 14:40 PM
Patrion 14

USF is harder now. I mean besides DevM no one even dared to play USF of the people still in the tournament and to be honest you could give early Brit expansion Ost to DevM and he'd still be able to make it work :D

That being said they are not that bad either.

Just one thing people always get wrong, the ost sniper is not "less effective" against soviets, it performs the way it should, it crazy over performs against any faction with smaller than 6 man squads. Same goes for the soviet sniper just in the worse direction, it under performs against any squad with more than 4 members.

I've done the entire calculation to highlight the performance disparity once here

If you have a particular replay that you thought you were doing everything right (as far as possible) and are struggling to find where it went wrong, people do help to analyse these replays and try to give constructive feedback which might help :)
8 Jun 2017, 15:26 PM

Yeah, I made the mistake of playing USF last weekend and -7 loss streak later I feel about like you do right now. Would really like to know what's worked for people this patch but right now it feels like "Pick your poison" regardless of whether I go LT or Captain.
8 Jun 2017, 15:32 PM

Is it possible you got used to all the OP nonsense USF had and now need to

#adapt

?
8 Jun 2017, 15:55 PM

Is it possible you got used to all the OP nonsense USF had and now need to

#adapt

?

Come play USF in top 300 and come back.
8 Jun 2017, 15:58 PM

only late game USF sucks and isnt fun
8 Jun 2017, 17:04 PM

And early game if they spam kubels. And midgame if they have a sniper. And all the time if there's buildings.
8 Jun 2017, 17:10 PM

Dave does really well as US, maybe ask him for some replays.
8 Jun 2017, 17:23 PM

I play USF a lot and I think that all of the OP strats of the past are gone (for good in my opinion).

The Stuart + Rifles + Mortar combo, finished with the Pershing or M10 is no more. Now you have to adapt.

If the enemy is OST you have to rush em with your M20 and kill the sniper. It will force him to spend some FU on a 222 (now is 30FU).

If the enemy is OKW, go for a stuart to stop his Luchs or go 4 some zooks to stop his Puma.

Riflemen are still better than Grens and Volks.
8 Jun 2017, 17:23 PM

WFA armies have been problematic since the start. IMO it'll likely always be a moving target of one broken/unfun feature to the next with WFA. And Brits.

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Jun 2017, 17:23 PMLeo251
Riflemen are still better than Grens.

FTFY.

Volks and Riflemen are surprisingly balanced and equal matchups without vet or slot_items. Once upgraded and with vet, that balance changes significantly.

Rifles have the better slot_items, but Volks have the better vet but also get their slot_items a little earlier and easier. The slot_items make Volks win at close range, and Rifles win at long range, with the inverse being true without them.
8 Jun 2017, 19:10 PM

WFA armies have been problematic since the start. IMO it'll likely always be a moving target of one broken/unfun feature to the next with WFA. And Brits.

FTFY.

Volks and Riflemen are surprisingly balanced and equal matchups without vet or slot_items. Once upgraded and with vet, that balance changes significantly.

Rifles have the better slot_items, but Volks have the better vet but also get their slot_items a little earlier and easier. The slot_items make Volks win at close range, and Rifles win at long range, with the inverse being true without them.

Volks > Rifle. Raw stat are biaised when volks can
1- Upgrade STG on the BF and only require 1 upgrade.
2- Build sandbag
3- Throw Flamnade denying any cover.
4- Access to supe cheap doctrinal grenades.

and obviously cost less, this is in a vacuum, after you can add the Kubel and ST, potential PF and all the nice late game stuff OKW get and USF is denied per design.
8 Jun 2017, 21:21 PM

And early game if they spam kubels. And midgame if they have a sniper. And all the time if there's buildings.

srsly, struggling against kubel spam is l2p issue. playing against sniper is never fun, no matter what faction your playing
8 Jun 2017, 21:23 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Jun 2017, 19:10 PMEsxile

Volks > Rifle. Raw stat are biaised when volks can
1- Upgrade STG on the BF and only require 1 upgrade.
2- Build sandbag
3- Throw Flamnade denying any cover.
4- Access to supe cheap doctrinal grenades.

and obviously cost less, this is in a vacuum, after you can add the Kubel and ST, potential PF and all the nice late game stuff OKW get and USF is denied per design.

riflemen can throw grenades, pop smoke, duel equip bars or 1 lmg, can also equip bazooka for AT, lay mines (doc) and build sandbags (doc). please.
8 Jun 2017, 21:40 PM

riflemen can throw grenades, pop smoke, duel equip bars or 1 lmg, can also equip bazooka for AT, lay mines (doc) and build sandbags (doc). please.

Well let's compare to IS shall we? IS can throw grenades(side tech, but it's not like you need them anyway), way better stats than Rifles in cover(eliminate need to close in and lose models against Volks and Sturms get wrecked if they close in vs IS in cover), build sandbags and password-protected trenches(non-doc LUL), equip double Brens or OP VICKERS(LMAO), can also equip PIATS for AT(not that you don't have cheap ass RE to put them on), have non-doc mines on RE(USF doesn't even have them unless you go LT). Please give me a reason why should I play USF when UKF has better mainline.

Oh and you can also upgrade them to 5-man squads.
8 Jun 2017, 21:47 PM

Well let's compare to IS shall we? IS can throw grenades(side tech, but it's not like you need them anyway), way better stats than Rifles in cover(eliminate need to close in and lose models against Volks and Sturms get wrecked if they close in vs IS in cover), build sandbags and password-protected trenches(non-doc LUL), equip double Brens or OP VICKERS(LMAO), can also equip PIATS for AT(not that you don't have cheap ass RE to put them on), have non-doc mines on RE(USF doesn't even have them unless you go LT). Please give me a reason why should I play USF when UKF has better mainline.

Oh and you can also upgrade them to 5-man squads.
i can name 2 : Grw34 and ISG
8 Jun 2017, 21:47 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Jun 2017, 17:23 PMLeo251

I play USF a lot and I think that all of the OP strats of the past are gone (for good in my opinion).

The Stuart + Rifles + Mortar combo, finished with the Pershing or M10 is no more. Now you have to adapt.

If the enemy is OST you have to rush em with your M20 and kill the sniper. It will force him to spend some FU on a 222 (now is 30FU).

If the enemy is OKW, go for a stuart to stop his Luchs or go 4 some zooks to stop his Puma.

Riflemen are still better than Grens and Volks.

Yes the Stuart/Mortar was OP, I agree but right now the Stuart isn't even worth a damn if you want to get AI, it's just a light vehicle hunter and a reactionary unit since infantry units can just walk up right to it, faust it and cap right in front of it with only losing 1 model, probably none at all. I didn't even use the mortar much when it was super OP and still managed fine, the only times where I needed it was a smoke thrower and rest is 4 rifles. Stuart's main gun was obnoxious to play against when I play Axis, but MGs are never a problem.

And Armor Company cheese is still there, Luvnest uses it all the time. 3 Rifles, M20(for AI and mines at enemy base), Captain, Stuart(for AT) into M10/Bulldozer. If you're really ahead you can go Major and get Shermans.
8 Jun 2017, 21:52 PM

i can name 2 : Grw34 and ISG

Mortar pits say hi. Also you have the same problem as USF, it's not unique to UKF.
8 Jun 2017, 22:13 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

Curious. What is the objective of this thread? USF seems to be in a "balanced" position more or less. Rifles are more powerful than volks as they should be since they're more expensive, and through upgrades, overpower them later game when fully equipped. The stuart is stronger against armor than infantry, that's alright considering it is capable of engaging both with some effect. If you're expecting a primarily AT light tank to tear apart infantry like the old T70 did you're going to disappointed. If this thread is just about USF issues, yes they have them, like all factions. Try playing on a heavy garrison map as OKW, or playing UKF against luchs spam. All factions have design flaws and issues ingame.
8 Jun 2017, 22:22 PM

srsly, struggling against kubel spam is l2p issue. playing against sniper is never fun, no matter what faction your playing

Ok then, what do you do as usf against kubelspam?
9 Jun 2017, 00:42 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Ok then, what do you do as usf against kubelspam?

IF you have issues against Kubel spam, upload a replay.

You want the biggest hardcounter: go Doge commander. Such clowncar, much early push, such cheese...

Non doctrinaly: use garrison and cover. Make tanktraps for cover. I'll say RE are more effective than Rifles against them cause they won't miss.
Go LT and get an M20.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 27
South Africa 1
Russian Federation 60
Germany 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L