Login

russian armor

Banging Our Heads Against a Wall.

6 Jun 2017, 03:28 AM

My 2v2 partner and I have had a string of bad luck, not sure if it's the new changes (we were a bit rusty) but we're getting run over late game and I wonder if you all could give some advice on how to break our unlucky streak.

In brief, tried some early game aggression, didn't play out too well, the opponents were well coordinated. Set up a strong defensive line so we played the flanks alright. Then the never ending T34 streams come out and we kill scads of them, but to no avail, and the infantry we are killing left right and center runs over us. There were certainly some micro issues, but it felt like there was an incredible amount of constant pressure. Even when we tried to push out after our brief victory, it wasn't enough. And don't get me started on vanilla T34s getting my panther to half health before running away loling. Anyway any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

•  
6 Jun 2017, 04:03 AM

I can give this one a look tomorrow (within 24hr).
7 Jun 2017, 06:17 AM

Let me open by saying that you guys fought hard, and in these sort of matchups the micro burden is much heavier on the axis team, so even though micro played a big part in this loss, it is understandable. On to specifics:

The early aggression is a good idea, but your ally has to help you or you have to back off when you see a squad from each player. Sturmpios aren't gonna be good against conscripts at medium range, either close the gap if possible (it wasn't possible here) while pushing with the kubel, or back off.

Once you saw double T2 (the two maxims gave it away) your ally should have immediately made a mortar.

@ 9 minutes in, your P2 takes like 5% damage and you back it way off, when they didn't have any AT on the field at all. You could have taken the middle of the map with the P2. It sits by your mech truck for almost two minutes! You lost a huge window of opportunity there, and even lost a volks in an infantry fight that you should have won easily. This is really the part of the game where you lose the initiative.

Your buddy also loses 2 gren squads by 16 min, which hurts a lot. Better to play safe with them and get them to vet 3.

There's another fight with the P2 about 18 min in where you lose some hp on it vs penals and back off. I think instead here you could be pushing with infantry as well and keep the P2 there much longer. Use combined arms when trying to take the mid.

Your friend's pak micro is not aggressive enough @ 20 min. He should have cut off the retreating T34 with his pak near the flak hq, instead it just chills.

Double PIV vs all those t34 isn't super ideal, one of you should have saved up for a panther. You end up with 3 PIVs on the field total at one point.

Your friend is way too passive with his support weapons and his MHT as well as capping on the map, I'm not sure if he just isn't able to multi task well enough (which is fine, not everyone can be spending all day practicing this game :) ) but a lot of time is wasted not capping and having vehicles not firing.

The game ends up pretty close, but you guys set your defesive line up in such a way that you couldn't really hold the middle. A bit more aggressive with the placement of paks and the bunker and you could have contested the vp easier.

There's a lot of attacks late in the game where you use half your vehicles and inf (or even less often). Wait until you have everything in position to attack.

You have so much infantry chilling in your base around 40 mins in, for a long time. Get those guys on the field!

Key takeaways:

Ostheer player needs to micro his weapon teams more aggressively and more actively.

You need to be more aggressive with your P2.

You both need to macro better, and gather all your units before you push.

Good luck in your future games!
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS