Login

russian armor

Katyushas

24 May 2017, 23:04 PM

Hey guys, lately I have the feeling that thing is overperforming for some reason. I dont know if something changed, but suddenly they seem to wipe everything. I lost against mediocre players just because those things wipe so often, it feels a bit like a budget Calliope. Even when Soviet is pratically dead, Katyushas can completely turn the tide... for only 85 fuel!
24 May 2017, 23:14 PM

You have access to better rocket arty as axis.
Besides the stuff mr smith has listed as op, the walking stuka is the only rocket arty that needs re-balancing. If it is wiping your units, then your opponent is firing the katys at minimal distances. Try doing the same thing with the pwerfers.
24 May 2017, 23:24 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 May 2017, 23:04 PMGarrett
... for only 85 fuel!

It is still 360 MP and MP is much more problem for soviets than fuel. T-34s have the same problem - only 80 fuel, but huge chunk of 300 MP. Unofficial balance team even addressed that in their recent patch notes by lowering T-34's MP cost and raising fuel cost.

In order to have a decent chance of wiping full hp squad you have to fire from min range, which is quite risky because of how Katy is squishy. If squad isn't full hp... well, it is fault of that squad's owner.

You have access to better rocket arty as axis.
Besides the stuff mr smith has listed as op, the walking stuka is the only rocket arty that needs re-balancing. If it is wiping your units, then your opponent is firing the katys at minimal distances. Try doing the same thing with the pwerfers.

PeeWerfers are much worse in hitting moving targets. There is much longer time between firing and actually hitting target. I like Katys because how they leave almost no time to react if firing from min range.
24 May 2017, 23:35 PM

It is still 360 MP.

In order to have a decent chance of wiping full hp squad you have to fire from min range, which is quite risky because of how Katy is squishy. If squad isn't full hp... well, it is fault of that squad's owner.

PeeWerfers are much worse in hitting moving targets. There is much longer time between firing and actually hitting target. I like Katys because how they leave almost no time to react if firing from min range.

Pwerfers are good in pairs. You need to fire one on top of your target and the other behind the target. Mgs should be used to keep the units from moving forward or sideways to dodge.
Katys give you time to get out of the barrage or retreat. If you get hit by pwerfers, your infantry is most likely dead.
24 May 2017, 23:48 PM

Wait really? A katyusha OP thread? What's next? Combat engineers? I say this because I thought that Katyusha was the rocket artillery standard for allied rockets balance. Land mattress got nerfed, Calliope probably gonna get nerfed too, but they were supposed to be down to katyusha standards for destrution or something.
24 May 2017, 23:53 PM

People are starting to use the katyushas at closer range, despite its squishines and it pays. Other than that there is a lot of RNG influence at longer distances that determine if the barrage its a success or a complete waste.
24 May 2017, 23:55 PM

probally cuz it was fired at close range, IT WILL WIPE everything close range but its its very risky
25 May 2017, 00:13 AM

Just don't blob.
25 May 2017, 00:24 AM

Just don't blob.

WHOOAAAAA NO WAYY
25 May 2017, 00:27 AM

Its better because the infantry is more spread out, meaning its more consistant (instead of needing a direct hit, and a wipe or deal with a complete miss)
25 May 2017, 01:05 AM

Its better because the infantry is more spread out, meaning its more consistant (instead of needing a direct hit, and a wipe or deal with a complete miss)

Why you only see panzerwerfer in 3s and 4s not 1s or 2s. Now it's almost guaranteed you'll see calliope landmattress and katusha in every game 2s and up
25 May 2017, 01:59 AM

Can anyone remember the patch that gave katyuscha like 5 times more damage? good times...
25 May 2017, 02:06 AM
Director of Moderation Badge

As everyone else has said, Katy's are very powerful when used at close range. Large rocket salvo + minimal scatter and you can place those rockets exactly where you want. You get caught with your pants down and you'll lose half your army. I still believe it is the golden standard for rocket arty though, it has a risk with how squishy it is to out weigh its effectivness at close range. Pwerfer is similar in quality but is more affected by scatter at longer ranges because of the lower rocket count. I.e. pwerfer is less effective at longer range because it has less rockets to scatter with. Also for some reason pwerfer has significantly larger friendly fire in comparison.

TL: DR Katyusha isn't OP, it requires some skill and decision making for its cost/reward. It is the golden standard for CoH2 rocket arty.
25 May 2017, 05:22 AM

lmao this is crazy... man everything is alot stronger up close.... this is the type of shit thread that make balance problems
25 May 2017, 14:45 PM

I think the problem is is that USF and SU is able to get away with double rocket arty units and no armor longer then it's axis counter parts. An OH skipping tier 3 to panzerwerfer first is GG.
25 May 2017, 15:46 PM

I think the problem is is that USF and SU is able to get away with double rocket arty units and no armor longer then it's axis counter parts. An OH skipping tier 3 to panzerwerfer first is GG.

LOL how are soviets able to get away with double katushas and no armor? maybe if there opponet is a moron and can't realize that they have no armor and they want to wait to super heavy rofl tanks. Most everyone goes penals they wont have any at guns....

USF not really either they would have to chose captain to get the better but still crap at gun, and spent a lot of munitions on zooks (soft armor counter) as well as pick calliope doct.

25 May 2017, 16:26 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 May 2017, 15:46 PMRocket

LOL how are soviets able to get away with double katushas and no armor? maybe if there opponet is a moron and can't realize that they have no armor and they want to wait to super heavy rofl tanks. Most everyone goes penals they wont have any at guns....

USF not really either they would have to chose captain to get the better but still crap at gun, and spent a lot of munitions on zooks (soft armor counter) as well as pick calliope doct.

USF AT gun is crap? I mean, just get out of here. Zooks are kinda meh, but considering you can get them on REs together with a sweeper, they are not that bad. Calliope is still not working properly. Its scatter should be increased to the level of the land matress to compensate for the fact that mostly, you can just bring it right up and nuke a squad without much risk or skill involved. Weakening it would just look retarded(it is based on a Sherman chassis after all, so it should be able to take a shot).
Panzerwerfer needs some serious redesign considering its scatter over distance. Like someone said already, Katty is the gold standard for rocket arty and an prime example of how it should work on the field.
Calliope should have never been added into the game in my opinion. It is one of those units allowing low skill players to annoy others with almost 0 micro involved, similar to stuff like old Maxims or emplacements. At least the LMG nerf made sure that not many people pick this doctrine anymore, thank God!
25 May 2017, 16:49 PM

What's next? Forbid to touch blobs? Forbid to shoot at the advanced headquarters on the front line near which there are 7-9 units? Katyusha is okay
25 May 2017, 18:05 PM

mouthbreathing wehraboos literally want everything in the soviet army reduced to conscript tier worthlessness
25 May 2017, 18:07 PM

mouthbreathing wehraboos literally want everything in the soviet army reduced to conscript tier worthlessness

They are either UP or OP or cheese. Similar to the British
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 64
Germany 22
unknown 19

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %