Login

russian armor

CoH2 vs DoW3 players comparison

• This thread is locked
PAGES (5)down
21 May 2017, 17:37 PM
Admin Red  Badge

I am excited to see how many additional players will drop DoW3 until the end of the month. :snfPeter:
21 May 2017, 20:29 PM
Patrion 27

+1
Good analogy. I remember that movie. Here is one clip that backs up what your saying;

Even EA started to figure this out a few years ago.

How Electronic Arts stopped being the worst company in America
https://www.cnet.com/news/how-electronic-arts-stopped-being-the-worst-company-in-america/

Current Nexon CEO (big asian free-to-play publisher) about EA leadership and false dichotomy in the gaming business;
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-06-17-nexon-ceo-precious-little-good-art-coming-out-of-industry

Coh 2 AKA: Gremlins 2
21 May 2017, 21:49 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

It will get Mac and Linux support so that's pretty cool
21 May 2017, 22:05 PM
Donator 11

It will get Mac and Linux support so that's pretty cool

Did you know that coh2 actually has that support for a long time? And the linux version is even better optimised that windows one. The problem is, you can't mix these versions in one multiplayer match, so the linux version is rather dead.

I wonder if it is going to be similar with DoW3 and as they are based on same engine, I suppose it is.
22 May 2017, 04:45 AM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

The promotion email lets you assume the multiplayer is cross-platform:
We're excited to announce that we've partnered with the team at Feral Interactive to bring Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III to Mac and Linux platforms! Feral helped out with the Mac and Linux ports of Dawn of War II and Company of Heroes 2, and we couldn't be happier for them to help bring Dawn of War III to a brand new audience.

Dawn of War III will launch on Mac and Linux in just a few short weeks, on June 8th, 2017. Now all players will be able to do battle as the Space Marines, Eldar, and Orks in an epic campaign, and spectacular multiplayer matches against players around the world.

For more information, check out the FAQ we posted on DawnOfWar.com. For more updates about Dawn of War III, make sure to follow us on social!

22 May 2017, 13:32 PM
Director of Social Media Badge

@Janne252
Dawn of War III’s multiplayer is cross-platform between Mac and Linux, but not with Windows. We hope to revisit cross-platform multiplayer, and implement that in a future update.

Source : https://www.dawnofwar.com/article/dawn-of-war-3-coming-to-mac-and-linux
22 May 2017, 13:53 PM
Donator 11

I helped a player recently who was asking in game chat why he couldn't play with his friend who was on mac. I didn't know it was even on mac but dug out some old posts including one from a relic dev as to why this was not possible. Essentially the dev explained that with a deterministic engine it would only take one small difference in calculations for the game to unsync. I guess some kind of emulation layer would be needed to overcome this.
Sounds like something beyond the Relic we know
22 May 2017, 14:28 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

@Janne252

Source : https://www.dawnofwar.com/article/dawn-of-war-3-coming-to-mac-and-linux

This would have been a great opportunity to upgrade the cross-platform to include Windows. As a modder it's particularly annoying to deal with multiple versions of the game as the Steam Workshop is shared between the platforms.
22 May 2017, 18:50 PM
Donator 11

This would have been a great opportunity to upgrade the cross-platform to include Windows. As a modder it's particularly annoying to deal with multiple versions of the game as the Steam Workshop is shared between the platforms.

As far as I remember their explanation about it, the studio that did the porting of coh2 and the whole engine had to use system specific time realated libraries that are similar in all unix based systems (probably some posix conformant stuff), but different on windows. This coused sync errors and the only possible solution that doesn't require changing initial windows-based engine was to split the playerbase.
23 May 2017, 22:50 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 May 2017, 20:53 PMruzen
I am not exaggerating when I say this. If Relic makes a good Axis campaign DLC right now, It could sell same numbers as DOW3. Even after all this time.

I still dont understand why there is no German campaign, ever. (tales of valor dont count because it's ridiculously short)
23 May 2017, 22:54 PM

I wouldn't be surprised by seeing QUINN DUFFY geting fired since, from what i heard, he is not that good at all at leading relic company but we shall see in the future.

About bloody time. He has been completely horrible in decision-making and management since forever.
23 May 2017, 22:54 PM
Donator 11

I still dont understand why there is no German campaign, ever. (tales of valor dont count because it's ridiculously short)

What about the Opposing Fronts German Campaign - stopping Market Garden? Or is that the one you mean
23 May 2017, 23:13 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 May 2017, 22:54 PMArray

What about the Opposing Fronts German Campaign - stopping Market Garden? Or is that the one you mean

Oh right, there was a PE one after all.

well that one was pretty good, although i was still hoping for a wehrmacht one (come on, PE = spam PG and win).

And CoH2 only gives Sov & USA, theater of war doesn't count because it's simply an AI match
23 May 2017, 23:33 PM

Perhaps because Relic is quite alienated from their fans/customers. You can literally see that in the course of the whole CoH2 development since release.
24 May 2017, 06:46 AM

They explained why already. They like to build campaign around an immersive character or group of characters. The problem with the German faction is how can you make a cool and nice character belonging to the Wermarch.
There are many games were you can make the bad guys looking cool, but it is a really risky task when your bad guys are based on the Nazi. This could be assimilated to Nazi propaganda, revisionism etc...
Not to mention the potential interdition to sale in Germany and some others European countries.
24 May 2017, 08:16 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 May 2017, 06:46 AMEsxile

They explained why already. They like to build campaign around an immersive character or group of characters. The problem with the German faction is how can you make a cool and nice character belonging to the Wermarch.
There are many games were you can make the bad guys looking cool, but it is a really risky task when your bad guys are based on the Nazi. This could be assimilated to Nazi propaganda, revisionism etc...
Not to mention the potential interdition to sale in Germany and some others European countries.

Lol pathetic when you think about it that we can't tell the story of a German soldier because western History dictates them as baby murdering racists.
24 May 2017, 08:58 AM
Donator 11

As mentioned Opposing fronts had a campaign about 2 german brothers defending arnhem against the British. During the campaign they note on the fact that their Mum's house doesn't have a roof anymore and at the end (sorry to any of our Russian bretheren) reflect on the fact that winning at Arnhem might not be so good for Germany in the end. I've a vague feeling one of the brothers is dead too but I might be wrong.
24 May 2017, 08:59 AM

Lol pathetic when you think about it that we can't tell the story of a German soldier because western History dictates them as baby murdering racists.

In fact, when you really think about it, no it is not pathetic at all. They did it with Opposing Front and the script was as much as neutral possible, really far from vCoh campaign theme.
Germany was Nazi at that time and building a fictive story based on true events on this period putting you in a German officer boots is definitively not something anybody can take nicely.
24 May 2017, 09:24 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 May 2017, 06:46 AMEsxile

Immersive character(s)? In which campaign is it immersive ever? lol
Able Company this and that, who cares about the name of the soldier in the "story" (it's made up anyway)?

You can still make a German campaign based on historical facts. Look at Operation Market Garden on the PE side, that was fun to play while not being Nazi-glarifying
You dont need an engaging storyline to make a campaign - I mean, how many campaigns they made really had a storyline to begin with?
24 May 2017, 09:28 AM

Perhaps because Relic is quite alienated from their fans/customers. You can literally see that in the course of the whole CoH2 development since release.

Pretty much, still, they could have made shit ton of money selling German campaigns.
I will bet that, German campaigns will sell more than allies
PAGES (5)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight