Login

russian armor

Whats the point in guards...

7 May 2017, 14:25 PM

The point is there shouldn't be a measureable difference in power and ability between British, EFA, and WFA factions. They should all be factions in CoH2.
8 May 2017, 05:24 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 May 2017, 21:29 PMDAZ187
give them one dp-28 upgrade for late game ?

That would be agreeable if the pin ability wasn't nerfed. Have you ever used it? Axis tanks easily break from it...
8 May 2017, 05:32 AM

i must add as some have stated guards "were" good before last patch, they were always pinata units. Keeping em at bay is the best tatic, but being at bay will only allow your enemy to regain its strength. Constent push and pressure is the name of the game in COH. Guards are useless ai and useless at, so what are they good for?
8 May 2017, 07:33 AM

They seem to be more of a generalist unit, supporting your stock units. For instance giving cons some space to breath by drawnig fire away from them and dealing dmg with ther DP or pinning a tank for penals to close the gap and throw their sticky satchel at them. However, it might be usfull to make them spawn with mosins only and an option to upgrade them with either DPs or PTRS only. To keep things attractive, combine the respective upgrate with abilities like PTRS upgradet guards get the blindfold ability, while the DP ugrade gets an ability to supress inf similar to that of RE (but actually working, unlike REs ability). This would give them the ability to fullfill the above stated tasks better, by keeping them interessting alongside cons and penals.

For those of you claimnig this will make them even more unattractive, take a look at OH shocktroopers and think again^^
8 May 2017, 08:20 AM

Am I the only one who likes how soviets are now?

I like T1, 2 penals + guards. I like the new maxim (but plase fix the aim time bug). I'm having fun on 2v2.

I don't like conscripts due to problems that doesn't scale well on late game.

If you were used to OP penals with flamers, it's normal you find dificulty on this patch.
8 May 2017, 17:12 PM

Am I the only one who likes how soviets are now?

I like T1, 2 penals + guards. I like the new maxim (but plase fix the aim time bug). I'm having fun on 2v2.

I don't like conscripts due to problems that doesn't scale well on late game.

If you were used to OP penals with flamers, it's normal you find dificulty on this patch.

Apparently yes, because right now playing for the Soviets is pain and suffering. The worst faction at the moment. She urgently needs major repairs
8 May 2017, 17:27 PM

Apparently yes, because right now playing for the Soviets is pain and suffering. The worst faction at the moment. She urgently needs major repairs

Meanwhile in the tourney, soviets are shitting on Ostheer and sometimes even OKW
8 May 2017, 17:36 PM

Personally, I would use Guards as:
- A more cost-efficient handheld AT squad (Penals gimp themselves to get PTRS; Guards can actually fight non-OKW infantry head-on)
- Button utility, which you can combine with a satchel or a snare
- Grenades

PTRS Penals are the low-quality substitute for Guards, not the other way around.

Then there's always the question as to whether you want to combine Guards with Penals (Satchel) or Conscripts (Sandbags and, whenever they become relevant, Molotovs)
8 May 2017, 17:51 PM

Meanwhile in the tourney, soviets are shitting on Ostheer and sometimes even OKW

The Soviets have several good units and they look like OP against the background of most other shit units, but this faction requires redesigning
8 May 2017, 18:22 PM

If I remember the Patch Notes correctly, didn't the Guards get spared the sledgehammer nerf to the PTRS 41's accuracy?
8 May 2017, 18:23 PM
Senior Editor Badge

8 May 2017, 18:25 PM

If I remember the Patch Notes correctly, didn't the Guards get spared the sledgehammer nerf to the PTRS 41's accuracy?

Guards PTRS did get a damage nerf vs infantry (went from 27 to 20), but it's just as accurate as before.
8 May 2017, 18:27 PM

Sounds great to me, if a bit unrealistic. Haha. On a somewhat unrelated note, did Boy's AT Rifles get the same sort of change?
8 May 2017, 18:28 PM

Sounds great to me, if a bit unrealistic. Haha. On a somewhat unrelated note, did Boy's AT Rifles get the same sort of change?

No. We were not allowed to touch either Boys AT or Conscript PTRS due to scope.
8 May 2017, 18:30 PM

Wait a minute... Doesn't this mean the PTRS 41 for Conscripts is better than the PTRS 41 for Guards currently? Yikes. o_o
8 May 2017, 18:44 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 May 2017, 18:23 PMnigo
Give zookas to guards.

I like it
8 May 2017, 19:20 PM

Wait a minute... Doesn't this mean the PTRS 41 for Conscripts is better than the PTRS 41 for Guards currently? Yikes. o_o

Depends how you look at it - Guards are more accurate with PTRS but Conscripts (Tankhunter only) deal the extra 7 damage per shot that actually lands. Overall a Guards squad with DPs is going to outperform a PTRS Conscript but you have to pay for that extra DPS.

Personally I find that Guards are less of mid-late game comeback unit now - before you could kind of get away with calling in Guards as you lost squads and they would do pretty good - but now with all the nerfs they struggle hard against Vetted Infantry.
8 May 2017, 20:23 PM

Thanks for answering my questions, Mr. Smith and EtherealDragon. I don't play with Guards enough myself to know this offhand, being a PPsh41 Conscripts and Shocks fan myself, but does your analysis of Guards vs Vetted Infantry apply for Vet 3 Guards too?
9 May 2017, 19:47 PM
Donator 11

Reinforcement cost would be a big factor along with their mandatory upgrade and the ineffectiveness of their PTRS/Grenade makes the squad rather lackluster and a resource hog. Would rather go for Penal PTRS and stick with AT satchel and post nerf satchel.
2 users are browsing this thread: 2 guests

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★