Login

russian armor

RTG Final - Stijndee vs ThePrussianPrince

4 May 2017, 11:49 AM

I'm ThePrussianPrince/AggonyPrussianPrince. I don't think my nickname will ever change, but typing it here in case.

Best of 5 series, final game will be tomorrow on Crossroads as well (playing it over 3 days as my opponent couldn't play it all in one day). I also streamed the match (the first 3 games, not the 4th one) here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/139597864

The match starts at 1h45m in the video. Perhaps with a first person view it's easier to tell different mistakes as well.

Bracket is here (also includes rules): http://challonge.com/Road_to_glory122334646

Anyway, at the moment it feels like I lack:

1. Game knowledge (especially related to how the game is currently progressing, when I should push, what units I should make, etc).
2. Proper micro with vehicles (I don't know how to do it very well, especially flame HT).
3. Good unit positioning (I don't know exactly where units should be and where).
4. Late game management and big engagements (bleeding off too many units and concentrating on middle VP too much).
5. Situational awareness (also not looking at the unit cards often enough).
6. Proper fuel management. I think this is because I lose too many models on my units that I keep having to replace because I'm too aggressive, so I end up not having enough manpower to spend it on vehicles.

If there's anything else anyone wants to add, or correct me on what I feel I'm doing wrong, let me know. I would gladly accept mentoring as well if anyone offered.

EDIT: To be clearer, I was thinking of playing Aimstrong heavy T1 style. But now I'm wondering if instead of Elite Troops, I should try the Mechanized Doctrine instead, if that's easier to play with a build order like:

1 MG -> 4 Gren -> T2 -> 222 -> Medic Bunker -> Stug E -> Pak -> Stug E

Also trying to find a decent, solid build for Soviets. I'm thinking of:

Combat Engineer -> Penal -> M3 -> 2 Penal -> 2 Dshk -> as many M4C Shermans as possible. I'm wondering if that's weak to early vehicles or if it can be managed.

As a final note, it's going to be him as Ostheer on Crossroads, last game, vs me probably as Soviets (I don't want to play mirror Ostheer).
4 May 2017, 13:01 PM
Senior Referee Badge

I am sure a strategist will post here soon ;)
5 May 2017, 15:57 PM

Edited in the last replay of the match.
7 May 2017, 11:00 AM
Senior Referee Badge

Game 5 mistakes:

1:21 : Just go away with your engineers, he is in green cover and you won't win this fight anyways. Try to cap something of the other side of the map with that engineer.
1:52 : don't flank with your engineers but use your engineers as bait for the mg in stead of the penals. You should have done that push exactly the other way around.
2:57 : Don't leave your penals in the house in the middle or go out and fight in the green cover, you won't win it with that health you should have used them to cap some of the right side and defend against the flanking grenadiers who weren't in cover.

early-mid game general things:

-use the green wall in the middle better, you constantly don't position well which makes you lose all the fights there
- going out of your base without your troops have been properly heald is a really bad idea. You will only lose manpower and you won't regain any territory. Just wait for a second, think out your strategy and when you are almost fully healed you can go fight for the motherland.

10:04: Bad flanking. One penal should have come more from the south, the other one more from the north.

- Use the hedgerows better, you could have used ground attack with your t-70 way more often.
- You could have expected a p4 and lay more mines
- Your dshks were constantly alone and vulnerable for flanks from the enemy. Always support your mg's unless they are in a building. Bcs of not doing this you will easily lose a dshk.
- Why put vehicle only on on your t70 constantly? Only pop that on when there is a vehicle.
- Don't dive with such a late sherman, i think there was like a minute between his p4 going back and you going in. Axis repair fast so don't do that anymore ;)

500 ammo dude?!, lay mines demo's(=wipe) and call in fuel!!!

The last push, he called in the air strike, if you went back you would have lost 1 tank probably to the air strike. Bcs you went in base he killed all your tanks. Always when you see the air strike, go back bcs 9/10 times it wont be worth pushing further.

Hope you learned something :D
7 May 2017, 12:43 PM

We talked about this somewhat in Steam, but I'm going to organize my thoughts here as wel. for future reference. By the way, thank you once again for reviewing the replay.

1:21 - Misjudged combat engineer/pioneer engagement, indeed. I thought pioneers in green cover would lose to combat engineers at long range (even if no cover), seems I was wrong.

1:52 - I didn't see the MG until it was basically set up. There was nothing I could do. Also, my penal was indeed flanking anyway, but it was just barely on the edge of the arc of the MG42.

2:57 - That was a bad choice by me, indeed. Not only do I have low health on the penals, but he also has the better house, so overall pretty bad engagement. Right side would have been easy for them to defend, true.

About the green wall in the middle, I don't know about me not using it properly. I don't see when I could have used it in the early-mid game. He either pushed me so far back to the point I'd get mowed down by his grens/MGs if I were to try to use it, or I pushed him so much that I'd actually have a unit in his house which means that I'd have to move up the rest of my units to add DPS, otherwise they'd sit in green cover doing nothing while the 1 penal in the house is fighting. So I don't know what I could have done with that, really.

I half agree with the issue about moving my units out of the base before they're properly healed, because there are 2 issues with that:

1. I realized too late that I didn't get medics, after I panic built the 4th penal (which is too much, did it because I had a lot of manpower). I either had to wait a very long time before I got the medics, or just move out. I opted to move out because I thought the territory loss would be too much.

2. To add to the previous point, I was afraid I'd get base pinned by MGs. At that point, all my units were off the field so he could simply set up there and pin me inside my base. So I think I made the right choice to move out in that scenario.

10:04 - Don't really know what you mean here.

T70 hedgerow ground attack - agreed.

Expecting P4 and laying mines - agreed.

Dshks usage - I barely played with dshks, so I didn't know until now how easy it is to decrew them when they're alone. They have a very weird animation when retreating and they blob up hard. So yes, that is a good idea to keep them supported. But I really thought 1 of them would be enough to cover the right side against infantry, seems not.

T70 vehicle only - Agreed here too, but I did it because I was afraid of him attacking me with the 222. I shouldn't have been.

Diving with the M4C - Yeah, I really didn't know about the repair times. I thought he'd be around half health or so, guess not. Still, the trade ended up in my favor: he lost the P4, I kept my M4C. That was mainly luck, though, I guess.

500 ammo - Yeah, I'm bad with that. I don't know where to put down mines, demos, and I should've called in fuel. I got flustered. I barely use those, and am afraid of them friendly firing on me.

The last push - I underestimated the airstrike and his AT. I thought I could finish it there and then. I was in his base and his airstrike couldn't kill me there (or at least so I thought). Actually, looking at the replay, I'm sure I could have done it. I was not decisive with my units, got confused. I should have either pushed straight in or just got out, instantly. But instead, 1 M4C Sherman was wiggling back and forth while inside the circle, had I simply pushed it up it would not have been at like 20% health when getting into his base, but nearly full. Same thing with T70 - nearly full HP but I forgot about it in the circle. Terrible execution. IMO this was 1 of those 10 times when it would have worked.

I learned a lot, thanks! :)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 42
Germany 765
unknown 20
Germany 1
unknown 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W