5 Apr 2017, 15:37 PM
5 Apr 2017, 15:40 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

Only three days?
5 Apr 2017, 16:37 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Can someone from the closed beta confirm if the game was as bad as it looked?
18 Apr 2017, 17:38 PM
Senior Editor Badge

dow3 open beta - 18 GB

downloading :)
18 Apr 2017, 18:21 PM
Referee Badge
Benefactor 347

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Apr 2017, 16:37 PMTobis
Can someone from the closed beta confirm if the game was as bad as it looked?

It was really good. Worked really smooth. No crashes at all. Gameplay makes a lot of fun. Graphocs looks amazing. Waiting still for my collectors edition with the hammer:)
20 Apr 2017, 20:53 PM
Senior Strategist Badge

I'll be trying it out, maybe it will get my interest. dow1&2 did :)
20 Apr 2017, 20:58 PM
Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Loving the game so far. Optimisation is so good!
20 Apr 2017, 21:24 PM
Admin Red  Badge

About 10 hours left (Oh, hey! I don't know my timezones. 10 AM -> PST <-). I am quite looking forward to playing it.
20 Apr 2017, 22:01 PM
Senior Social Media Manager Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Apr 2017, 18:21 PMFaHu

It was really good. Worked really smooth. No crashes at all. Gameplay makes a lot of fun. Graphocs looks amazing. Waiting still for my collectors edition with the hammer:)

New to the franchise. What are the faction playstyles?
21 Apr 2017, 00:35 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Apr 2017, 22:01 PMwouren

New to the franchise. What are the faction playstyles?

I haven't played DoW 3 yet and can't be sure how it was actually implemented there, but the Eldar are fast-moving skirmishers, Orkz horde up before they run into people and murderlate, and the Space Marines are the vanilla generalists.
21 Apr 2017, 00:37 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Apr 2017, 00:35 AMVuther

I haven't played DoW 3 yet and can't be sure how it was actually implemented there, but the Eldar are fast-moving skirmishers, Orkz horde up before they run into people and murderlate, and the Space Marines are the vanilla generalists.

I love you buddy but that's really vague.
21 Apr 2017, 00:47 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Apr 2017, 00:37 AMwouren

I love you buddy but that's really vague.

Ok, uhhhh...Orks are aggressive and inelegant swarmers that want to close in and overwhelm you. Eldar are fragile speedsters and hard counters that demand they go in their right place at the right time. Space Marines are tough elites with a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none concept aside from their small numbers.

Like I said, I haven't actually played DoW3 though, so that's about all I can give ya. Stuff like their actual power curves are something I can't assume.
21 Apr 2017, 00:57 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Apr 2017, 00:47 AMVuther

Ok, uhhhh...Orks are aggressive and inelegant swarmers that want to close in and overwhelm you. Eldar are fragile speedsters and hard counters that demand they go in their right place at the right time. Space Marines are tough elites with a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none concept aside from their small numbers.

Like I said, I haven't actually played DoW3 though, so that's about all I can give ya. Stuff like their actual power curves are something I can't assume.

Gotcha
22 Apr 2017, 00:03 AM

I just played the DoW3 open beta, and I am sad to report that it is complete rubbish.

They stripped every last bit of the gameplay that made CoH fun. No cover, no retreating, no flanking, no strategy. You just mass units and send them in. Maybe micro the overpowered hero units. That's it.
22 Apr 2017, 00:48 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Apr 2017, 00:03 AMHans88
I just played the DoW3 open beta, and I am sad to report that it is complete rubbish.

They stripped every last bit of the gameplay that made CoH fun. No cover, no retreating, no flanking, no strategy. You just mass units and send them in. Maybe micro the overpowered hero units. That's it.

Because it's not CoH.
22 Apr 2017, 02:13 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Apr 2017, 00:48 AMSwift

Because it's not CoH.

DoW2 and CoH2 had very similar mechanics and gameplay.

The new direction of DoW is a poor attempt to steal some of the spotlight from mobas, and I have to say that they screwed up big time.
22 Apr 2017, 02:41 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Apr 2017, 02:13 AMHans88
DoW2 and CoH2 had very similar mechanics and gameplay.

I am going to have to disagree with that statement. While DoW2 does have some cover mechanics, the gameplay is drastically different and there are a few things to point out that DoW2 is different from CoH2.

Dawn of War 2 has other factors that Company of Heroes 2 lacks:
- Melee combat, this also includes melee-focused infantry and anti-vehicle melee infantry.
- Most units have the option to drastically change their role in the field for a price.
- Hero units. The only unit I can think of that can apply to this role is the Ostheer's Tiger Ace and that's it.
- Units have energy abilities instead of munitions.
- Leaping units. Tyranids, I'm looking at you.
- Teleporting units/buildings.
- Faction specific powers.

tl:dr
Dawn of War 2 is a completely different animal than what Company of Heroes 2 is.
22 Apr 2017, 03:46 AM

I've been enjoying it so far. Quite a lot actually.

The UI is bad. Needs a total overhaul.

The combat is fun, there is a lot of micro because so many squads have abilities that you want to dodge/use properly. Map control is similar to CoH but harassment is more important in my opinion. Saving squads in combat takes a lot of foresight and skill, so does killing enemy squads but both are rewarding.

Timing/use of your hero units is important. The economy/macro is way more important than in CoH 2 which is a breath of fresh air. Base building is way more important than in CoH 2.

The whole MOBA thing is really an overreaction. The "turret" things are a joke, shield generators are pretty easy to kill. It's essentially just a standard RTS win condition because by the time you kill their core, you're completely overrunning their base anyways.
22 Apr 2017, 06:11 AM

That's the point, I guess they want a clear difference between the franchises, Which is the right move.

Personally DOW3 is not for me, I've never been a fan of traditional RTS games.
22 Apr 2017, 07:15 AM

To me this feels like a traditional RTS with a few moba elements. Is that a fair assessment?

It looks cool but I just don't care for games like Star Craft or DOTA anymore so maybe it's not gonna be something I can like.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★