Login

russian armor

1v1 as Soviets vs Ostheer

5 Apr 2017, 06:23 AM
Senior Editor Badge

Hi, hoping someone can look at this replay. It's rather long, 51 minutes, but I really lost myself in the late game.

I thought I played the early game very well, using my sniper to harass the fuel and getting a lucky countersnipe.

I think around the 20-25 minute mark is where it started to go wrong; I back teched for an AT gun, lost a T70 trying to kill a Puma, and lost some vet squads on some crazy flanks that I didn't look at long enough.

The late game was pretty boring; opponent ended up going into StuG spam with some P4s mixed in there and I didn't have enough to deal with it. I was constantly low on manpower; getting the IS2 in the first place was just hard enough.

Thoughts to comment on:
1) build order
2) armor choices (should I have done something differently?)
3) stupid places where I lost units (Sniper, being too aggressive w/ vehicles, etc.)

Thanks for your feedback!

5 Apr 2017, 11:05 AM
Strategist Badge

I should be able to review this tonight for you :) (fyi im EU timezone)

Setting to yellow
5 Apr 2017, 18:40 PM
Strategist Badge

Hello so first I liked how you tried to make plays, you made flanks and generally did the right things. The problem i think is your lack of experience. By that i mean that you did the right things and build the right things but in the wrong order or at the wrong times.

As you said the start went well for you, partly because of that luck sniper wipe.

In my view you probably should have had the AT nades on your cons up sooner as a precaution against an early scout car.

You were often pushing too aggressively with your cons and bleeding really heavily because of it. You have the sniper; let him do the work and use the cons to protect the sniper.

The Push with the T-70 was somewhat disasterous. Better would have been to use the T-70 on the flanks to make sure you keep them! IIRC you ignored the Gren that was there and got fausted. Dont focus too much on the tanks and ignore the infantry!

When you had the AT nades and the T-70 you then also got PTRS's on the penals, i think this was over kill. After the t-70 died THEN would have been the time for them. However, you then got an SU-76 which again nullifies the usefulness of the PTRS and just gimps the squad.

In my opinion the SU-76 was a mistake, the tanks you were up against were a scout car and a Puma. The Scoutcar alone isn't worth investing in a SU-76 for, and the puma just kinda counters the '76. It would have been better so save for a t-34.

Why did you get a second Engineer? Why equip it with a sweeper when you already have one? I get that you needed the repairs later on but get the engineer once you have the tank that needs the repairs not before :P Its like buying a car before you can drive :)

The doctrine choice was strange, shocks are useless on that map and you had pretty equal fuel control. You didn't need to go for call-ins. Better i think would have been a doctrine that gave you better indirect fire and/or mg's.

The death of the sniper was sloppy but even so, once it died you should have replaced it, or gotten some maxims. Cons (new ones at that) don't cut it against vetted LMG grens and MG42's.

You needed the mortar much sooner, or if you had teched to T4 sooner you could have skipped the mortar and gotten the Katty.

He had a very strong central position, flanking it is good and thats what you did but, you flanked too deep with one squad. That just results in a lost squad. If you cant take the middle take the sides. If you cant take the sides take ONE side. Push in with a larger force from a flank slowly. Make him move his position and then move up again from a different angle.

Too aggresive with the IS2 sometimes, you got very lucky that the tank didnt get fausted and killed at the 30 min mark.

i liked the Use of smoke, nice nice.

When you sent the IS2 to the right, you signed your death warrant. He then knows the centre isnt defended and can move up. When he moved up he could then force you to fight him on his terms.

Overall I think you need to slow down a little and think about whats going on and just how you should defeat what you are facing. This is something i still don't do right.

Identify what the enemy is doing, think about how you can/should fight it, make a plan. Follow it.

I hope this help!

Goodluck!
6 Apr 2017, 03:01 AM
Senior Editor Badge

Super helpful text!

Thanks! I like to think of myself as an experienced player but I don't have that many 1v1s. I think I have less than 50 as Soviets :thumbsup:

thank you for your help!
6 Apr 2017, 03:19 AM
Director of Moderation Badge

Nice review Finndeed :thumb:
6 Apr 2017, 08:08 AM
Strategist Badge

Thank you thank you :D
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W