Login

russian armor

1v1 [SU] - help me get a little better

8 Mar 2017, 13:30 PM

hello, I'd like to get into the top500. So far I bounce between 600 and 1000. So if anyone has time to look at one of my games every now and then, I appreciate the help. I did a mentorship with vonAsten a while back, which helped a lot. Wouldn't be so far without him. Praise to him.

Without much further ado, here's my last game. A win against OKW. Please tell me, where I made big mistakes or could have done better? A major problem in my games is to be on point with unit reinforcment/idle units. I'm working on that.

8 Mar 2017, 17:35 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

Will be taking a look at this. Thoughts posted shortly.
8 Mar 2017, 18:28 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

Things to improve on:

Overall micro: Saw squads being AFK at times. Also saw clump capping even 5 minutes into the game. Clump capping is where you use more than 1 squad to cap when it isn't neccessary. This just wastes one of your units time and means you're gaining less resources than you ought to be. Try and always keep your squads busy, use the tactical map and control groups if you like.

Floating resources: You floated 450 manpower after your first maxim and only had a conscript and an engineer. After you floated that manpower you built another conscript squad. With 450 manpower float you could've had that conscript squad far earlier and that means more territory and more resources. When you started to bring out guard squads you didn't upgrade them with DP-28s till a few minutes after even though you had plenty of munitions. Save munitions for an AT grenade and maybe a mine and put the rest into upgrades that will help you at that moment. Stronger squads means more pressure and more resources in return.

Territory: Seemed to have difficulty early game connecting territory as you were spliting your army up from going top and bottom and then losing your cutoffs. This gave your opponet the edge and got light vehicles before you. Secure your territory and then push into his with your maxims and conscripts. Taking one of his neutral points won't do much (unless it's his cutoff) if you're not connected yourself.

Selected guard motor which is a fantastic doctrine for soviets currently. However you didn't utilize the T34/85s. These tanks are far superior to their 76 counterparts with increased health, armor, penetration, and the main gun is more effective against infantry as well. There is minimal reason to build 2 t34/76s when you could be getting t34/85s especially when you have the lead in fuel.

Doctrines: You selected guard motor which is great, however you also had soviet industry I believe for the KV-8. This doctrine is much more suited for teamgame play with its repair stations and KV-2. The KV-2 is not very powerful in 1v1 matchups. I suggest using shock rifle frontline as it carries shock troops and IS-2 for occassional need. Even better than that though is anti infantry doctrine. This doctrine has situationally stronger units but can be deadly in the hands of skilled playered. Fear propoganda, incindiary barrage, KV-8, shock troops and a recon run. All potent.

Overall: You did well, you won. Fine tune your mechanics; don't float and keep your infantry busy. Make sure your territory is connected and if you have the lead and can go for a safer more potent tank then go for it. Note how I say "if". If you need a t34/76 right at that moment and you're being pressured off the map you may not be able to hold to an 85. Mines win games. I saw you built some mines but you can always have more right?

Last point: Uploading games where you lose is far more beneficial to both the uploader and reviewer. If you win you're doing something right or your opponet is making more mistakes than you. If you lose then it's easier for strategists to see where your mistakes are and you'll get higher quality feedback.
8 Mar 2017, 19:29 PM

Things to improve on:

That was very high quality feedback, I would say.

Thank you very much for your constructive criticism advice and the time you took to help. I appreciate it.

I will post another replay when the next inevitable loss comes.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★