Login

russian armor

Graphical design suggestion about Penals

2 Apr 2017, 22:01 PM

I think everyone is overthinking it a bit. While you could make a lot of changes in the name of realism, doing so would severely effect balance. Some of these considerations really should have been thought of when Relic was developing the Soviet Army, but we're a few years late for that.

I would merely suggest that the name and voice-over is changed, even if it's the same voice with references to Penals removed. Perhaps a mish-mash of Penal and Commissar voiceovers, with references to each squad removed. This keeps the readability for the player using them and ensures he does not get them mixed up with Conscripts due to sharing audio. Keeping their gruff voice, model, and abilities the same would serve the purpose of keeping gameplay the same. The change would properly be a cosmetic change with no balance impact.

3 Apr 2017, 08:50 AM

I really like how you've tried to make this suggestion as easy to implement as possible. No balance changes, using models from game files.

Good job. Totally worth Relic's eye on this.
3 Apr 2017, 09:42 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

I really like how you've tried to make this suggestion as easy to implement as possible. No balance changes, using models from game files.

Good job. Totally worth Relic's eye on this.

Thank you :wub:
3 Apr 2017, 10:38 AM

At least me, and these 8 guys, who said "Yes" in the poll. :p
Also, we cared about all other co-changes in graphical design, which need to be made with Penals to finally make them as Strelky ^_^

========
I 10000% agree.

Always odd to me that the soviet army would only be farmers, criminal elites, and other elites...
- People complain that Penals shouldn't have SVT40 (when even guards don't have them) and also have
all that flexibility...

Just the uniforms don't make any sense.

Changing it around... would solve all that.

As for those who say it doesn't change a thing... if we changed Axis uniforms to clown suits,
it wouldn't change a thing, right, you wouldn't mind at all, correct?

So, small swap. Do it :)

Also, can we PLEASE have native voice option like in Red Orchestra 2 and Day of Infamy.
The correct German, british, american, Russian voice files are all there, why NOT??!!!.

Also, I'd love for sherman buff bulletins to have shermans and not panthers.
for SU76 buffs to not have StuIIIG and T34 bulletins to not all have Panzer 4.
It's not like the correct icons don't exist :p

Pretty please :)

BTW Osinyagov : Great idea!
3 Apr 2017, 10:53 AM

I support this idea. Conscripts have very good equipment like a duffel bag, pouches, helmet and etc.. for a cheap support unit. While penal`s have only a shirt and cap with some pouches,it's not logical and looks stupid.
Irl not everyone wear helmets. Because it is too heavy and it is very hard to fight with 10 kg on your head. Also it cant save you from bullets. All newbeis that were trown into combat always wore helmet, gas mask and knif on the rifle but after some time on the frontline they took away these things because there were too rare situations where you can use these stuff.
3 Apr 2017, 11:14 AM

I think everyone is overthinking it a bit. While you could make a lot of changes in the name of realism, doing so would severely effect balance. Some of these considerations really should have been thought of when Relic was developing the Soviet Army, but we're a few years late for that.

I would merely suggest that the name and voice-over is changed, even if it's the same voice with references to Penals removed. Perhaps a mish-mash of Penal and Commissar voiceovers, with references to each squad removed. This keeps the readability for the player using them and ensures he does not get them mixed up with Conscripts due to sharing audio. Keeping their gruff voice, model, and abilities the same would serve the purpose of keeping gameplay the same. The change would properly be a cosmetic change with no balance impact.

========
Osinyagov's proposal is purely graphical. No balance change.
And I - completely - agree with it.
3 Apr 2017, 16:38 PM

Irl not everyone wear helmets. Because it is too heavy and it is very hard to fight with 10 kg on your head. Also it cant save you from bullets. All newbeis that were trown into combat always wore helmet, gas mask and knif on the rifle but after some time on the frontline they took away these things because there were too rare situations where you can use these stuff.

Reminds me of that scene in Band of Brothers where the unit is marching through the woods and a rookie begins to attach a bayonet to his rifle, and without missing a beat one of the veterans says "the weight will throw off your aim" and the rookie stops and puts away the bayonet.

Osinyagov's proposal is purely graphical. No balance change.
And I - completely - agree with it.

And it's a good proposal, but I think the less, the better. Changing too much visually and audibly could cause confusion over what this "new unit" is, even though statistically nothing has changed.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★