Login

russian armor

Dawn of War III Pre-Order Available Now!

9 Mar 2017, 20:45 PM
Senior Caster Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Mar 2017, 19:56 PMNoun

THQ didn't go out of business because they made CoH have cover mechanics or other innovations in CoH and DoW, they went out of business because they shifted out of primarily making children's licensed games for Disney and others without having a new revenue stream ready to go as a replacement. They then threw themselves into making more adult games which only the Saints Row and Relic games ever paid off for them. They also invested a lot in a WH40K MMO that never launched. Not launching an MMO isn't cheap.

The hired a lot of very high profile game creators and movie directors to make video games that were never completed (at least under THQ). Paying Guillermo del Toro to not make a game isn't cheap.

Relic made some excellent games under THQ but again when I was there they (THQ) fundamentally wanted to be in the business of big AAA console blockbusters.

Under SEGA Relic has a publisher that understands PC gaming better than THQ did at the end and understand the strategy market. Whether you like CoH2 (the only game Relic's released so far under SEGA) is a matter of personal taste. However I would argue that Relic is better off with SEGA than the THQ I worked under.

Edit:

Here's some links to read if you're wanting supporting information. Also I totally forgot the UDraw which was a successful drawing tablet for the Nintendo Wii which was then a not successful drawing tablet for every other platform.
- http://www.vg247.com/2014/03/17/what-really-happened-to-thqs-unfinished-games/
- https://gamerant.com/insane-cancelled-del-toro-thq/undefined
- http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-04-devils-third-rights-returned-to-itagaki-and-valhalla-game-studios

Thanks for your insight Noun!
9 Mar 2017, 23:54 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Thanks for your insight Noun!

Yeah, that kinda makes perfect sense for it now then.
10 Mar 2017, 08:13 AM

So pissing in the eyes of DoW3 fanants is good understanding of PC gaming? You have 3 types of possible DoW3 customers - 1) DoW series fans 2) New blood 3) Strategy fans.

Right now Relic just fucked up first category of players. By ignoring everything and adding shitty and single gamemode. This is dumb, because old fanbase is the most loyal base.

And simply dont adding VP gamemmode via copy paste is too hard?

I haven't been following the development of DoW3 closely since I left Relic so I'm not going to wade in on any particular issues you may have.

My point is that THQ didn't go broke because they made Relic games too innovative.
10 Mar 2017, 15:13 PM
Benefactor 3110

Heyo,

i do not expect too much of DOW3. If it is dull i go back to coh2 and dow2 again very soon.
I preordered to show relic my undying support, because at the end of the day relics games ai enjoy mostly by far. My Space Marines will fight either way!

Best Regards

awa59b
10 Mar 2017, 17:17 PM
Patrion 15

I'll let others beta test, discuss to fix the game and deal with years of patches this time. I'll get when -50% sale happen.
10 Mar 2017, 20:50 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Mar 2017, 17:17 PMruzen
I'll let others beta test, discuss to fix the game and deal with years of patches this time. I'll get when -50% sale happen.

It s clear that spend 60 € for a relic game is way too risky.

I will be like most people here in a 'wait & see' position.
If by any luck the game is good, and by good i include no bug & balanced, then i guess i can spend around 30 € on it.

But at 60€ and since they completely ignored DAW fan base, i doubt that many people buy it at release.

Someone said it s sold on steam, so we will have access to the sales number at least.
11 Mar 2017, 01:21 AM

I will buy this game and send it to my worst enemy.

:rofl:
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS