Login

russian armor

Any way to modify the "tuning" file?

23 Feb 2017, 10:45 AM

I was recently trying to create a special cover type for a CoH1-style smoke grenade:
- Reduces incoming accuracy and suppression
- Does not reduce incoming damage

I tried assigning a tp_smoke type of cover to the grenade. However smoke cover type gets overwritten by just about any type of cover; including default and negative cover; thus it's useless.

In any case, I narrowed this down to cover priority, which seems to be set in the "tuning" file. Unfortunately, I have not been able to clone the file.

Has anybody ever found a way to bypass this restriction for their mods?
23 Feb 2017, 13:21 PM

You can't, you'd need to get Relic to remove it from whatever ignore list they have for files which won't be read from a mod attribarchive.

You can include tuning just fine just by copypasting it into the mod file structure (and after you copypaste it in you can modify it in AE), and it'll be included in the final burned mod file as well, but the game just ignores it.
23 Feb 2017, 14:07 PM

I could try to convince Relic to do that. However, would there be any negative sideffects if they whitelist the tuning file, e.g., virus-mods, or is this completely sandboxed, etc?
23 Feb 2017, 14:22 PM

Only relic knows, though I do not see how tuning would be any more vulnerable than any other file in the attribarchive lua files.
23 Feb 2017, 15:50 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

The Commandos do have a grenade that creates light cover for alternative idea.

Another work around could be is that you could have the grenade apply a damage over time of zero and upon penetration action add a modifier action for received buffs for short duration such as one second. Hopeful this could be renewed by the damage over time effect, thus refreshing the duration.
23 Feb 2017, 16:30 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Could one of you explain where these files exist in the archives, what's their format, and what you could do with them, please?
23 Feb 2017, 16:39 PM

Tuning is a single (lua) script file in AttribArchive. It has a lot of settings for all sorts of things (player starting resources, building cover stuff, cover priorities, etc) in it. It's a protected script file in the Attribute Editor, you can't actually do anything with it there directly, but if you copy and paste the xml files manually to your mod project you can include it in your mod anyway. This used to work for actually making changes in it back when I was modding, but since then Relic has implemented some kind of ignore list that stops the game from reading tuning from a mod.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 33
Germany 7
unknown 4
unknown 2
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L