Login

russian armor

Maxim-Spam on Semoyski...What to do about it?

15 Feb 2017, 15:12 PM

Opponent started with 4x Maxims and then went on to build AT-Guns and T-70.

I tried to cap around the MGs at first, then tried Luchs to Kind of break them down. Didn´t succeed because I just couldn´t cause him any losses. Once he got the T-70 out it was basically over.

ISGs would have been a possiblity but I do not feel comfortable with them in 1on1s because of the man-power cost and limited effectivness against garrisons.

Stuka was my last hope, a very lucky strike might have brought me back into the game. I dont usually get Stukas in 1on1.

What should I have done? If you advice to get ISGs: How many? 1? 2? How to use them in a game like the one in my replay.

Thanks for any advice.

15 Feb 2017, 15:36 PM

I would veto semoisky if I were you.
15 Feb 2017, 16:30 PM

I would veto semoisky if I were you.

I acutally like the map and it´s design but I see why you would say that. After all Vickers and Maxim are super hard to counter as OKW.
aaa
15 Feb 2017, 16:37 PM

its ok map for okw. Maxim start = okw extra squad for first engaement. And chance to hold his part of the map.
1. Just rush to house closest to his base with everithing. There would be a lot of close range fights in green cover. Where spios would win vs maxim easily. Also trade kubel free repair for his models.
2. if game isnt over just get doc flamer on spios. Rush panther or luchs and win
15 Feb 2017, 19:35 PM

You already go nice review from ShadowLinX (we both know where) and here are some random, yet very important additional notes that run throught my mind while I was watching that replay :

In the beggining of the match you should have stayed in house with sturmpioneers, covering fallen maxim while your volks closed in. Sturmpioneers could have won against maxim because they were in house - green cover and maxim was in the open, or at least focus maxim while your volks grabbed fallen one.

Against maxim - spammers house play is very important. You should always try to keep key houses secure with your squads because its much eaiser to hold house against maxims than defeat maxim garisoned in house. On semosky are many important houses, most one is that near your access route, you should always have squad there - or near it - because once maxim enters that house, nothing except leigt/tank can flush him out.

I think you never went battlegruppe or went it too late. You need batllegruppe set up right after luchs so you get healing for your wounded.

Do not waste mines against maxims, you are not hurting him by killing 2 out of 6 members in his maxim team. He will not lose any DPS (main DPS come from maxim itself) and only 1/3 of squad health. Mines are good against other strats like USA riflemens because you will kill 2/5 of squad and thus he won´t be able to win fight against you. Go STG´s on your volks, flanking volks with STG´s are pain for maxim players because you will have great short range DPS (damage per second). If mines, then try to place them in position where tanks will likely come, not maxims.

I think you should have went rather special ops than scavenge. Tier2 into battlegruppe works perfectly with special ops because you get great AT panther to complete your deparment at 10CP. Oswind gives you nothing when you have luchs, you need AT not AI when you go mechanized. Also you lacked AT the moment you called oswind. 1 pupetten is too low to counter allied 8CP tank army. You need at least 2 of them to reliably keep mediums at bay and even kill them with faust support.

If enemy is having maxims, you should be more agressive with your luchs. Having maxims means he doesn´t have Snare that can cripple your tank engine. Once you saw zis and maxim blob, you should have rushed zis and circle starfed it, until death. Then force any remaining maxims to retreat while your infantry waits from them on their retreat patch. By this you would surely get his first zis (he got second zis 1 minute after you´ve got this option) and maybe even 1-2 maxims.

Infantry vs maxim play. Most soviet players try to create some kind of impenetrable fortress of maxims, that will remain impenetrable until tanks start rolling out. You have 2 options - 1. What ShadowlinkX mentioned - getting leigts or
2. using all your infantry to completely outcap him on all fronts except at that fortress. You will get 2/3 of map he will get 1/3 and you are winning. He will have to respond to this by sending his maxims out of fortress. This is why you will keep your army spaced, yet near together so they won´t get supressed all at once, but if maxim supress one squad, other will flank it, forcing it to retreat and giving you option to take even his fortress. You want to divide his forces and then bait his maxims one by one and then flank them. Retreat route is long and supression doesn´t hurt your squad. Once maxims retreats, your supressed volks squad will be fine and can continue capping. This is how you mainly counter maxims. Against houses you should use 1 as baiter, waiting to get supressed while 2 other squads rush from different sides in order to throw nades into house, forcing maxim to retreat.

I think thats it, hope this helps you even more.
Cheers

PS: Ask anything you want
16 Feb 2017, 09:14 AM

Thanks for the advice. Very helpful.

Mines might not have been a good idea in this game, you are right. I will remember that the next time I have to face Maxim spam.

Capping around the Maxims was what I first tried to do. I think I should have just tried to stay patient. Facing this spam tactic kind of threw me off my game. It is so frustrating to run into a Maxim all the time. He even had one in the house next to the northern fuel point.

The short period in which my Luchs managed to make the Maxims retreat was good to take back the map but since he retreated early I didnt get a chance to cause him any losses.

It was just a very frustrating game. But I hope I can use your advice when I face another Maxim Spam
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★